Dynacab Pack Purchasers - Looking for Feedback

JRod4928

Power User
For those who purchased Dynacab Pack(s) from FAS. What are your thoughts and feedback?

The 2 main attractive features for me for purchased Dynacab Packs are ability to export to Ultra Res IR, and 360 degree speaker placement to capture the effect of adjacent speakers. As I understand it, those features are only available on purchased packs. What other features are worth it for you? Or has anyone purchased and been disappointed?

I'm a cab/speaker snob, as I run amp+cab on stage w/ direct signal to FOH. I'm sitting here with a small collection of 3 cabs and 8 speakers, while I only own 1 main guitar - the others are just backup junk. I also don't have any tube amps anymore. So speakers/cabs are my thing..... Paradoxically, I avoided the IR rabbit hole because I found it confusing and time consuming, and selfishly I care more about the tone I hear on stage from my real cab vs. the signal I send to FOH. I just used what worked (@2112 LT TV Mix 2 or 7, which sounds awesome).....

Now that Dynacabs are FAR more intuitive and realistic (to me), I am interested in purchasing Dynacab Packs so I can digitally mix/match like I do in real life w/ these speakers/cabs - but, man, this has potential to be a huge financial rabbit hole w/ the variety of speakers/cabs I like for different tones, as these cab packs get released over time. I see why this market exists and why FAS is in it. So, how do you use them, and is the purchase worth it for you?

I found them to be worth the purchase price. The 360 degree speaker placement makes a major difference and the tones are incredible. Plus saves a lot on CPU usage with one user IR vs multiple factory IRs. IMO that alone is worth the price of a cab pack or two. I hope some Bass Dynacab Packs are coming down the road 🤞

I like them, and think they're a good price. Back when I had other brand's modelers I bought a sh*tton of IR packs from SO many vendors trying to find a few sounds I liked. I would have been so far ahead money-wise if we'd had the Dyna-Cabs available, and I wouldn't have spent so much time searching for a particular sound; I find what I'm looking for very quickly with them.

Yeah, there'll be more packs coming but that doesn't mean we have to buy every pack available. The ones that are built-in are covering sounds nicely for several of my presets because of the mic choices and being able to adjust their placement.

One reason why I have NOT purchased any DynaCabs is because there's no new ones that I don't have in my Fractal unit already, and the extra speaker placement and mic options don't do much for me. IMO if you have a Fractal unit, the stock DynaCabs already do a ton so there's not a huge need for having them in a plugin.

The main reason why I have NOT bought any DynaCabs is because I can't easily export them as IRs to use with whatever device I want. Instead I have bought ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 which lets me do that and has a whole pile more cabs, even if the selection of smaller cabs is limited.

To me Cab Lab 4 is a missed chance to expand the Fractal Dyna-Cabs to owners of other IR loading capable devices.

I found them to be worth the purchase price. The 360 degree speaker placement makes a major difference and the tones are incredible. Plus saves a lot on CPU usage with one user IR vs multiple factory IRs. IMO that alone is worth the price of a cab pack or two. I hope some Bass Dynacab Packs are coming down the road 🤞

I've caught the running in stereo bug, so not sure I'll be saving CPU. But there are times where I could see myself making a mono preset with 1 IR to save CPU.

Which cab pack did you buy?

Speakers I'd like to see:
  • G12M / G12H Creambacks
  • Pre-Rola Greenbacks (or Scumback m75's)
  • Alnico Cream
  • 55hz Greenbacks
  • Any offerings from Scumback
  • Bass speakers
Too many cab combinations to stick these speakers in....

Yeah, there'll be more packs coming but that doesn't mean we have to buy every pack available. The ones that are built-in are covering sounds nicely for several of my presets because of the mic choices and being able to adjust their placement.

Exactly - however look at my list above. I'd want to buy all of them at say $30 per pack, multiply it by each combination of 4x12, 2x12, 1x12 open/closed back, etc etc... Yes yes, I'll try some self control.

This is an example of the circular feedback loop of liking analog tube amps/cabs, testing variety digitally in FAS products, collecting actual analog cabs, testing more Dynacabs (this is where I am now), and then potentially finding new speakers/cabs that I like (through testing digital dynacabs), leading to collecting more analog cabs, etc etc etc...

One reason why I have NOT purchased any DynaCabs is because there's no new ones that I don't have in my Fractal unit already, and the extra speaker placement and mic options don't do much for me. IMO if you have a Fractal unit, the stock DynaCabs already do a ton so there's not a huge need for having them in a plugin.

Yeah that's where I think I'm at. I think the stock Dynacabs get me like 75% of the way there. And since I prioritize stage sound vs FOH sound, I'm not sure I care enough to get the other 25%, but it's tempting...

Maybe the answer is being patient and buying a variety Dynacab pack/package in the future will get me to 90% and call it good... Or start capturing my own IR's (I don't want to do this at all).

I've been in the Fractal universe for a while, and I have this huge library of IRs that I've always struggled with. I've never been great at picking them out, and I don't really have the producer experience to totally understand how all the different options that IR libraries come with actually translate into different sounds. It's been frustrating, and I kind of gave up buying IRs a while back because I knew I wasn't utilizing them well. I'd just starting popping in a middle range option for whatever speakers I wanted and called it good.

I've had exactly the opposite experience with the dynacabs- and CabLab 4 has made it just stupid easy to compare sounds, and get exactly what I want out of IRs. It's so easy and intuitive to move the mic around, compare the sounds in real time, mix in other mics or cabs... it's fantastic. Complete game changer for the cab block for a middle skill level user like me. I love em.

edit: One other thought- I have seven year old twins, so these days, I'm always under a time crunch dialing in tones. It's frustrating trying to get something to sound it's best when you have like ten minutes to get something up and running. Dynacabs are fast to dial in- much faster than dealing with a bunch of IRs, at least with my workflow.

I only bought the 1960 Tv. It’s really great if you like the sounds of them, easier to dial a tone.

But although they are great and really clean, there’s something in the tone I don’t like.
I don’t know if they lack « warmth » or if it’s the kind of granular sound I get from my pick attack.

But if you already like the dynacabs, the cablab pack are awesome.

I only bought the 1960 Tv. It’s really great if you like the sounds of them, easier to dial a tone.

But although they are great and really clean, there’s something in the tone I don’t like.
I don’t know if they lack « warmth » or if it’s the kind of granular sound I get from my pick attack.

But if you already like the dynacabs, the cablab pack are awesome.

What made you pick that one as opposed to the Friedman that also has V30 as well as Greenbacks?

I haven't tested many of the factory dyncabs, but I also noticed that they're more 'aggressive' sounding. Not as warm - but I haven't tested a lot. Ribbon mic helps with that.

What made you pick that one as opposed to the Friedman that also has V30 as well as Greenbacks?

I haven't tested many of the factory dyncabs, but I also noticed that they're more 'aggressive' sounding. Not as warm - but I haven't tested a lot. Ribbon mic helps with that.
The 1960 tv felt like the one with more mids to me.
The Friedman GB does not sound like a greenback to me.

The main reason why I have NOT bought any DynaCabs is because I can't easily export them as IRs to use with whatever device I want. Instead I have bought ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 which lets me do that and has a whole pile more cabs, even if the selection of smaller cabs is limited.

To me Cab Lab 4 is a missed chance to expand the Fractal Dyna-Cabs to owners of other IR loading capable devices.
Yes and no, I bought the 1960TV pack and you definitely have more microphones, export them as lotta high res IR‘s and the ability with 360 degrees
So you definitely have benefits when you buy a cab pack that’s already in the unit.

Yes and no, I bought the 1960TV pack and you definitely have more microphones, export them as lotta high res IR‘s and the ability with 360 degrees
So you definitely have benefits when you buy a cab pack that’s already in the unit.
Yes, but for my use those don't make any real difference. The ones already in the unit cover a lot of range and adding more mics and more positions is just extra stuff I don't need.

I'd be more interested in seeing cabs that are not available, e.g maybe some Dumble/Two Rock style cab with G12-65s would be unique enough as there's not a lot of IRs of those.

Overall 3rd party DynaCabs and Fullres IRs have ended up being pretty non-existent so far, which is a real shame.

Yes, but for my use those don't make any real difference. The ones already in the unit cover a lot of range and adding more mics and more positions is just extra stuff I don't need.

I'd be more interested in seeing cabs that are not available, e.g maybe some Dumble/Two Rock style cab with G12-65s would be unique enough as there's not a lot of IRs of those.

Overall 3rd party DynaCabs and Fullres IRs have ended up being pretty non-existent so far, which is a real shame.
I absolutely agree!
Of course more and/or different cabs were definitely a big benefit.

I haven't touched 90% of the 'stock' irs. Then there are the IRs that I bought (one pack in the past from ownhammer) and other IRs that were shared on the forum. Then there are the stock dynacabs and the curves etc.
I have decided to wait patiently to see where it all goes and if I ever feel the necessity. I think in the future the axe IV will be my pivotal moment. For now I have AWESOME sounds. Every day I play my guitar and keep finding presets and settings that give me chills of happiness. Sometimes I just play to listen to the sound. So, no need for me to go and buy ir dynacab packs. But I can definetly see why one would.

The 1960TV pack was money well spent for me. My approach is a little different from most in that I like using a single ribbon mic as far back as I can put it. Very natural sound. I landed on 204 angle, max distance from speaker and towards the edge of the speaker.

Pluses to the cab pack:
  • ultrares. (Yes, I can hear a difference in the lows.)
  • max distance of 12” vs 9”.
  • 360 placement opened up more variation than I expected. I was able to get a fuller tone by having the mic closer to a side of the speaker that had another adjacent speaker. (The stock dynacab is positioned towards an edge with no adjacent speaker.)

The 1960TV pack was money well spent for me. My approach is a little different from most in that I like using a single ribbon mic as far back as I can put it. Very natural sound. I landed on 204 angle, max distance from speaker and towards the edge of the speaker.

Pluses to the cab pack:
  • ultrares. (Yes, I can hear a difference in the lows.)
  • max distance of 12” vs 9”.
  • 360 placement opened up more variation than I expected. I was able to get a fuller tone by having the mic closer to a side of the speaker that had another adjacent speaker. (The stock dynacab is positioned towards an edge with no adjacent speaker.)
Can post a sceeenshot of the cablab settings?

Here are the EQ settings I'm currently using to flatten the frequency response and adjust for proximity effect on the R121:
1709845736734.png

Back
Top Bottom