Dynacab Pack Purchasers - Looking for Feedback

Just trying to understand Cab Lab 4 and these Dynacab packs.

If I buy a Shur RL I.R. to use with my tube amps.

I can monitor the IR part of the Suhr.
Record the DI/unfiltered part to my DAW (Cubase)

Then install Cab Lab 4 (vst) and process the unfiltered Suhr signal with these Dyncab IR's?

Seems to good to be true, why would Fractal allow me to download a free VST plugin version of the Cab Sim section of their $2600 AFX 3 and buy a $30 IR pack to make it all work and sound the same?

What am I missing here?

Then install Cab Lab 4 (vst) and process the unfiltered Suhr signal with these Dyncab IR's?

Seems to good to be true, why would Fractal allow me to download a free VST plugin version of the Cab Sim section of their $2600 AFX 3 and buy a $30 IR pack to make it all work and sound the same?

What am I missing here?
You wouldn’t have a Axe. You would be using the cab packs that you bought with Cablab or the plug-in. That’s it. Cablab is an IR selector and interface that can mix, hi or low cut, align, and apply smoothing. The IR or mix can be exported to use elsewhere. That’s the basics of it. You can use Cablab with other IR’s, but it really shines with a Dynacab pack and the interface where you select IR’s by selecting mics and adjusting positions. If you have a FAS modeler then you can use the IR’s from Cablab in the cab block of the modeler. You’d be able to use them with your Suhr. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

What am I missing here?
It’s not the entire cab block from the Axe -it’s just the IR tools. None of the speaker modeling is involved. There are many IR products out there so the price is on point.

If you supply your amp, your load box, your computer, and you buy the cab packs then you’ve got all you need.

You wouldn’t have a Axe. You would be using the cab packs that you bought with Cablab or the plug-in. That’s it. Cablab is an IR selector and interface that can mix, hi or low cut, align, and apply smoothing. The IR or mix can be exported to use elsewhere. That’s the basics of it. You can use Cablab with other IR’s, but it really shines with a Dynacab pack and the interface where you select IR’s by selecting mics and adjusting positions. If you have a FAS modeler then you can use the IR’s from Cablab in the cab block of the modeler. You’d be able to use them with your Suhr. Hopefully that helps.
Thank you for your reply.

I've seen guys on Youtube processing unfiltered recorded guitar though Cab Lab 4 using the Dynacab IR's - they didn't export the IR's to another device they were using the Cab Lab 4 plugin with the IR's to do the processing much as the Suhr does.

I read this -

The plugin version processes audio in your compatible DAW or host and can be used both to “re-cab” raw amp recordings. Features include a 4-channel IR mixer, plus tools to EQ, align, and more.

So I'm afraid (and I apologise for my ignorance) I remain confused by these products.

I do get it's not an Axe FX though, I do understand that part.

Last edited:
It’s not the entire cab block from the Axe -it’s just the IR tools. None of the speaker modeling is involved. There are many IR products out there so the price is on point.

If you supply your amp, your load box, your computer, and you buy the cab packs then you’ve got all you need.

I didn't realise the Axe FX had speaker modelling (like the OX Box) I thought it relied on I.R.s to do that like the Suhr or Waza TAE?

I read this online -

Firmware 22+ for the Axe-Fx III (and corresponding FM3 and FM9 firmware) features Dynacab cabinet modelling. This allows us to freely position the microphone. Set the Cab block to DynaCab mode to be able to select a mic type and set its position and distance. Behind the scenes the appropriate IR is loaded - I thought this is what Cab Lab 4 does?

There's obviously a lot more to this than I can currently understand as I thought essentially the Axe FX 3 is just running Cab Lab 4 inside itself in real time and is essentially the same software.

Last edited:

I didn't realise the Axe FX had speaker modelling (like the OX Box) I thought it relied on I.R.s to do that like the Suhr or Waza TAE?

I read this online -

Firmware 22+ for the Axe-Fx III (and corresponding FM3 and FM9 firmware) features Dynacab cabinet modelling. This allows us to freely position the microphone. Set the Cab block to DynaCab mode to be able to select a mic type and set its position and distance. Behind the scenes the appropriate IR is loaded - I thought this is what Cab Lab 4 does?

There's obviously a lot more to this than I can currently understand as I thought essentially the Axe FX 3 is just running Cab Lab 4 inside itself in real time and is essentially the same software.
Speaker modeling is part of the amp block because it is simulating the interactivity between the power amp and the cab as well as the ways the speaker can distort or compress when pushed. An IR can’t do that. That is the advantage of using Fractal’s amp modeling over an amp into a load box. Axe FX does this in addition to using IRs.

I would say the Axe FX 3 is running a simplified version of what cab lab does. You can move the mic from cone to edge in the axe fx 3, but you’re limited to that one line, whereas cab lab lets you move the mic anywhere on the speaker (which makes more difference than I expected). Also get more mic choices, 12” max distance, and ultrares (which is proprietary and won’t work on a non-fractal device).

I like the concept and I tend to use them over standard IR's. However, it can certainly lead to analysis paralysis when A/B'ing the tonal differences between moving slightly further away or slightly closer apart to the speaker. Although I'm sure this is a real world problem as well.

Personally, I'd like to see more mics like a Sennheiser MD-421, Sennheiser e906, etc. And also more speaker options/cabs. For example, one cabinet I'd love to see is a Marshall 1960A with G12T-75's. To this day they're still a standard backline cab all over the world and are used on countless recordings.

Speaker modeling is part of the amp block because it is simulating the interactivity between the power amp and the cab as well as the ways the speaker can distort or compress when pushed. An IR can’t do that. That is the advantage of using Fractal’s amp modeling over an amp into a load box. Axe FX does this in addition to using IRs.

I would say the Axe FX 3 is running a simplified version of what cab lab does. You can move the mic from cone to edge in the axe fx 3, but you’re limited to that one line, whereas cab lab lets you move the mic anywhere on the speaker (which makes more difference than I expected). Also get more mic choices, 12” max distance, and ultrares (which is proprietary and won’t work on a non-fractal device).
Hi,

Thank you for that explanation - it's a big help.

I'm now thinking a Fractal Axe FX 3 might be a better recording solution over a Pedal board/Tube amp/ Load box for the very reason you state.

Back
Top Bottom