DynaCab Pack Limited Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple more questions for anyone that might know:
  • Does exporting at "Min Phase" from CL4 remove any manual alignment that was done in a multi-mic CL4 mix (ie one mic pushed a few mm in relation to a 2nd mic)? (I'd have guessed yes, but comparing a Min-Phase to a No-Trim CL4 export of a mix that I put a lot of alignment into in CL4, I hear no difference between them or comparing back to the mix in CL4 which suggests the manual alignment change is retained in a min phase export).
  • Does exporting at "Min PHase" from CL4 also trim any leading silence? (my guess is yes based on comparing Min Phase vs Auto Trim vs No Trim exports from CL4 to Axefx - in fact, Min Phase seems to remove more leading silence than auto-trim does).
  • The CL4 guide states that exporting in "Ultrares" creates the .IR file that can be imported back into CL4 which is cool and works when I tested it however I'm confused about what this function does vs what an export to Ultrares IR "Resolution" would do.
  • Does exporting as "Normal" produce an .syx which is less than "Ultrares Resolution"? (I tried both and compared: the two look the same in Ax3).
  • If "Normal" vs "Ultrares" exports are different resolutions, why would only "Utrares" be able to produce the .ir file that can be loaded back into CL4? (I might want the normal res version to be loaded back into CL4).
  • If this function only has to do with whether or not an .ir file is produced, would it not be better named "Export .ir": with option "Yes" or "No"?

Does exporting at "Min Phase" from CL4 remove any manual alignment that was done in a multi-mic CL4 mix (ie one mic pushed a few mm in relation to a 2nd mic)? (I'd have guessed yes, but comparing a Min-Phase to a No-Trim CL4 export of a mix that I put a lot of alignment into in CL4, I hear no difference between them or comparing back to the mix in CL4 which suggests the manual alignment change is retained in a min phase export).
Min Phase (Minimum Phase Transformation) ensures that all IRs are time aligned. (from cab lab 3 user manual)
In Cab-Lab3 we could apply a processing mode (Min Phase, Auto Trim, No Trim) to each Mixer slot, this is no longer the case with Cab-Lab4

I think that with cab-lab4, this only applies to the exported file (result of the mix), So, if I understood correctly, no

Potential use :
(from Cab-Lab4 user manual)
Fractal Audio “factory” cabs are processed using minimum
phase, so any IR created in this way should be aligned with
the factory cabs.

Does exporting at "Min PHase" from CL4 also trim any leading silence?
This is not the same processing
Auto Trim removes superfluous data from the beginning of the IR but does not apply Min Phase Transformation. (from the cab lab 3 user manual

Does exporting as "Normal" produce an .syx which is less than "Ultrares Resolution"?

• NormalRes : 1024 samples / 20ms
  • UltraRes : 8000 samples / 170ms or 200ms (I don't remember exactly)

UltraRes™ processing is a Fractal Audio
proprietary technique which enhances the spectral
resolution of an IR without adding CPU burden or storage
requirements. UltraRes IRs are more detailed than Standard
resolution IRs.

If "Normal" vs "Ultrares" exports are different resolutions, why would only "Utrares" be able to produce the .ir file that can be loaded back into CL4? (I might want the normal res version to be loaded back into CL4).

Because if you can import a .syx file in NormalRes format directly in Cab-Lab4, this is not the case with a .syx in Ultrares format,

SAVE TO COMPUTER – Use this option to save your
Cab-Lab mix to the computer for sharing or archiving.
When the Output Format is set to “UltraRes”, two files will
be saved to the computer: a .syx file and a raw Impulse
Response or “.ir” file that can be loaded into future Cab-Lab
mixer sessions or imported like a .syx file using Axe-Edit,

FM9-Edit, or FM3-Edit.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply nikk - but I'm still unclear on most of these:

Min Phase (Minimum Phase Transformation) ensures that all IRs are time aligned. (from cab lab 3 user manual)

I think that with cab-lab4, this only applies to the exported file (result of the mix), So, if I understood correctly, no
I realize that the min-phase operation produces a phase aligned result that is exported from CL4 - what I'm asking though is, when the CL4 min-phase alignment process is executed, does it reverse any manual de-alignment I may have intentionally created in my CL4 mix (ie if I moved one mic forward x mm using the CL4 "Align" function..)

Auto Trim removes superfluous data from the beginning of the IR but does not apply Min Phase Transformation. (from the cab lab 3 user manual)
Understood - but the question is the reverse, does Min Phase Transformation also remove superfluous data from the beginning of the exported IR?

NormalRes : 1024 samples / 20ms
UltraRes : 8000 samples / 170ms or 200ms (I don't remember exactly)
I understand the specifics of the different resolutions, what I'm asking is does the CL4 "Ultrares" vs "Normal" export option actually affect the resolution of exported .syx file depending on which option you choose? The manual only refers to whether or not a .IR file is produced wrt this option - it does not really specifically refer to whether or not the actual file content is a different resolution depending on whether "Ultrares" or "Normal" is selected. (I tried exporting in both and then comparing in Axfx: they looked the same in the Axfx Cab block (zoomed out at align page with both IRs loaded) whether exported in "Ultrares" or "Normal" .)

Because if you can import a .syx file in NormalRes format directly in Cab-Lab4, this is not the case with a .syx in Ultrares format,
I'm clear that a .IR file can be imported to CL4 and not .syx. My question is what the .IR file being produced or not has to do with the output option title wording which asks if the user wants "Ultrares" or "Normal"? Imo this is two different things: 1. Do I want a .ir file created in order to be able to import my mix (whether Ultrares or StandardRes) back into CL4, or, 2. Do I want my generated result (.syx) to be Ultrasres or Standardres (Normal?). ... Confusing.

Last edited:
I realize that the min-phase operation produces a phase aligned result that is exported from CL4 - what I'm asking though is, when the CL4 min-phase alignment process is executed, does it reverse any manual de-alignment I may have intentionally created in my CL4 mix (ie if I moved one mic forward x mm using the CL4 "Align" function..)
My understanding is that this processing only applies, to the result of the Mix of the 4 Mixer slots of cab lab4: .syx/.ir which we want to save.

I don't see why the alignment between each Mixer slot would not be preserved when saving the Mix, since Min Phase is not applied to each Mixer slot (as we could do in Cab-Lab3) but only to the final Mix,
But I could be wrong ;)

Understood - but the question is the reverse, does Min Phase Transformation also remove superfluous data from the beginning of the exported IR?
Min Phase ensures that all IRs are time aligned,
and Auto Trim removes superfluous data from the beginning of the IR
As I understand it, as long as you do not use Auto trim, nothing is removed,
Min phase ensuring "phase consistency" with files (.syx / .ir) that have undergone the same processing.

I understand the specifics of the different resolutions, what I'm asking is does the CL4 "Ultrares" vs "Normal" export option actually affect the resolution of exported .syx file depending on which option you choose?
from FAS :
UltraRes™ processing is a Fractal Audio
proprietary technique which enhances the spectral
resolution
of an IR without adding CPU burden or storage
requirements. UltraRes IRs are more detailed than Standard
resolution IRs.

Maybe, this work a bit like the "IR Length" parameter in the Cab Block > Cab More ...or you have the choice between: 256, 512,1024, 2048 or more... shorter IR = less information, less resolution + probably some old Chinese secrets :) ?
In my humble opinion, only FAS can answer this in detail.
But Honestly, regarding this type of problem, it is the ears that must decide;)

I tried exporting in both and then comparing in Axfx: they looked the same in the Axfx Cab block (zoomed out at align page with both IRs loaded) whether exported in "Ultrares" or "Normal" .)
Yes, but if you change the "IR Length" parameter in the Cab Block > Cab More page,
Normally going from 256 to 2048 we should see a difference in the Align page?
I don't think Align page is the best tool to see this sort of things ;)
I'm clear that a .IR file can be imported to CL4 and not .syx. My question is what the .IR file being produced or not has to do with the output option title wording which asks if the user wants "Ultrares" or "Normal"? Imo this is two different things: 1. Do I want a .ir file created in order to be able to import my mix (whether Ultrares or StandardRes) back into CL4, and 2. Do I want my generated result (.syx) to be Ultrasres or Standard (Normal?) resolution. ... Confusing.
I don't know why it's like that, but I've gotten used to it,
Anyway, we have no choice : FAS design !

These are just my 2cents, I’m not by any means an Expert 8)

Last edited:
@Admin M@

Matt, it's a small thing, but under features in the manual (page 2), under the third bullet point in the right column, it says "re-cab life". From the context I'm guessing that you meant "live" rather than "life". Not that "re-cabbing life" doesn't have it's appeal, but I'm guessing that is out of scope for this project. Perhaps a feature in the AX4 . . ? :p

An input level meter in Cab Lab 4 would be awesome. Today I turned off the cab block in a preset I had already created, and when I used SW Live Mode, no matter what I did, I got this terrible, overloaded signal. It took me a few minutes of troubleshooting to realizing I was completely overloading Cab Lab 4, and all I needed to do was to turn my Amp Block level down.

I do think Cab Lab 4 and Axe-Edit should both have the abiilty to zoom in further than they can now on the Alignment page. On Cab Lab 4, if you only want to put two cabs around 20ms out of alignment, it's pretty difficult using the mouse. You can of course type in a value, which is not very intuitive, or use the up and down arrow keys, but the ability to zoom in really far, to focus right on the peak area, would be huge.

Does exporting at "Min Phase" from CL4 remove any manual alignment that was done in a multi-mic CL4 mix (ie one mic pushed a few mm in relation to a 2nd mic)? (I'd have guessed yes, but comparing a Min-Phase to a No-Trim CL4 export of a mix that I put a lot of alignment into in CL4, I hear no difference between them or comparing back to the mix in CL4 which suggests the manual alignment change is retained in a min phase export).
Nope, it applies the MPT to the exported file only
Does exporting at "Min PHase" from CL4 also trim any leading silence? (my guess is yes based on comparing Min Phase vs Auto Trim vs No Trim exports from CL4 to Axefx - in fact, Min Phase seems to remove more leading silence than auto-trim does).
Yes, it removes the leading silence. Auto-trim does it too but that's just a trim (as the name suggests), while min-phase also alters the phase
Does exporting as "Normal" produce an .syx which is less than "Ultrares Resolution"? (I tried both and compared: the two look the same in Ax3).
Yes, the syx file would be 2048 samples long (which are further cut to 1024 on FM3 and FM9) as opposed to 8192 samples with frequency dependent window*. You don't see any differences on the axe cuz the align tab only shows the first 20ms (iirc), but IR names should be shown with different colours in the cab block and you should hear some differences on the low frequencies.

*: frequency dependent window means that the IR is cut at a different lenght for each frequency, 20 Hz is 8192 samples long while 20 kHz is 1024 samples... and anything in between
If "Normal" vs "Ultrares" exports are different resolutions, why would only "Utrares" be able to produce the .ir file that can be loaded back into CL4? (I might want the normal res version to be loaded back into CL4).
Cuz if it's normal resolution you don't need the .ir file, you can import back the .syx
If this function only has to do with whether or not an .ir file is produced, would it not be better named "Export .ir": with option "Yes" or "No"?
It's not just that, as per above

PS: in case you wonder why the ultrares needs the .ir format to be imported back, that's because the .ir still doesn't contain the frequency dependent window I talked about earlier and it's probably the equivalent of an uncopressed .wav file (you can see it has a much bigger size than the .syx files), while an ultrares .syx has that window applied and has the same file size as a normal res .syx.

Last edited:
Nope, it applies the MPT to the exported file only

Yes, it removes the leading silence. Auto-trim does it too but that's just a trim (as the name suggests), while min-phase also alters the phase

Yes, the syx file would be 2048 samples long (which are further cut to 1024 on FM3 and FM9) as opposed to 8192 samples with frequency dependent window*. You don't see any differences on the axe cuz the align tab only shows the first 20ms (iirc), but IR names should be shown with different colours in the cab block and you should hear some differences on the low frequencies.

*: frequency dependent window means that the IR is cut at a different lenght for each frequency, 20 Hz is 8192 samples long while 20 kHz is 1024 samples... and anything in between

Cuz if it's normal resolution you don't need the .ir file, you can import back the .syx

It's not just that, as per above

PS: in case you wonder why the ultrares needs the .ir format to be imported back, that's because the .ir still doesn't contain the frequency dependent window I talked about earlier and it's probably the equivalent of an uncopressed .wav file (you can see it has a much bigger size than the .syx files), while an ultrares .syx has that window applied and has the same file size as a normal res .syx.
Thankyou sir!, and nikk, for the excellent explanations. I've got it now 👍👍

Curious if or how many others have noticed the "time out" or non responsive behavior in CL4? I've run into it a few times now. Basically CL4 audio processing no longer responds but the controls function as normal. You can change speakers, mics and mic position, but the audio does not update. Any known work around?
I'm on an iMac, Big Sur 11.7.7 UA Apollo interface via SPDIF.

Curious if or how many others have noticed the "time out" or non responsive behavior in CL4? I've run into it a few times now. Basically CL4 audio processing no longer responds but the controls function as normal. You can change speakers, mics and mic position, but the audio does not update. Any known work around?
Same happened to me on one session. Fm3 was connected and used as Soundcard.

It happened to me on Windows 11. I just kept increasing the ASIO buffer, and at 256 samples the program seemed to stabilize.

Te
I saw something similar when I first started using it…I had opened up Cab Lab and had the same issues you were having.. I saw that I didn’t use the connect to the Axe FX Tab at the Top of the Program..I connected to the Axe FX and it worked great…

I go to Settings > Audio/MIDI Settings, and switch the Active Output Channels away from and back to the proper setting, and it updates.

I have to do it after every settings change, to refresh the sound. It acts a bit like the settings generate an IR and that IR gets cached, until you reset the audio settings by switching something in that settings panel.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about it as it is the first public beta. I've tried increasing the buffer, but that had no impact. I try Joe Bfstplk's work around. Seems like it is independent of the interface and OS so more than likely something that can be fixed by final release.

Played with the plugin version today and had occasional restarts in CL4. It didn’t seem to crash; it would just occasionally revert back to my Session’s saved state.

I was using other plugins with CL4, so it’s possible the restarts were resource related, though none of the other plugins seemed to experience similar resets.

This was on a Mac mini using Main Stage.

Could someone please list the new microphones that are included in the Dynacab Packs? Thanks!
  • Condenser 023 based on the Soyuz™ 023 BOMBLET™
  • Condenser 87 based on the Neumann™ U87
  • Dynamic 57 based on the Shure™ SM57
  • Dynamic SM7 based on the Shure™ SM7B
  • Ribbon 313 based on the Shure™ KSM313/NE
  • Ribbon 121 based on the Royer™ R-121

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom