DynaCab Pack Limited Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be losing it, but it sounds to me like the distance parameter on the 1960TV SM57 doesn't make any audible change. I see the Frequency graph and Time Align display change, but I don't hear any difference at all.

Okay, again, maybe I'm just totally insane here, but I don't hear the distance parameter working on any mic with the 1960TV cab! I'm just using Slot 1, and it's the only cab loaded. I'll reload the software to see if it's still happening.

Okay, after reloading the software, the distance parameter came back. Totally weird. So I guess something I did disabled it, but just restarting Cab Lab 4 fixed it. Weird.

Okay, after reloading the software, the distance parameter came back. Totally weird. So I guess something I did disabled it, but just restarting Cab Lab 4 fixed it. Weird.
I haven't used the SW live part of CL4, until today. It is a bit flaky with its connection to Af3 for me. Seems like it works great, until I add mics or make changes. Then it stops responding to edits.

Another weird thing just happened: when I reopened Cab Lab 4, just starting from scratch, i.e. not starting from a saved session, I immediately loaded the 1960TV, and I scrolled through all the mics, and the distance parameter was working just fine. I then switched to the AC20, and the sound didn't change. I then tried to change mics, and the sound was the same. I moved to the Double Verb, and the sound was the same again. Somehow on my laptop, running Windows 11 at 32 samples with the SW Live Mode, I can easily get to a place where the sound gets stuck. I'll restart the software of course, but all I'm doing is scrolling through all the parameters of the DynaCabs in Slot 1.

I purchased the Double Verb and the 1960 TV packs. I was able to download and install them from my store account using the Cab Pack Manager in Cab Lab 4. However I noticed that I have to remain logged into my store account in Cab Pack Manager to successfully load the cab packs. Do I have to remain logged into my store account all the time to use the cab packs? Or just the first time that I call them up? What do you think @Admin M@ ?

Okay, another hang up, this time, loading the software from scratch, i.e., not from a session, loading the AC20 in SW Live Mode with 32 samples, and all I did this time was scroll through different mics. When I tried to switch to the mic at the bottom of the list, the sound did not change. Maybe it's the buffer itself. I'll try at 64 samples and see it that helps. I mean, at 32 samples I wasn't hearing any pops or clicks or anything, and moving the mics sounded completely smooth.

Okay, another hang up, this time, loading the software from scratch, i.e., not from a session, loading the AC20 in SW Live Mode with 32 samples, and all I did this time was scroll through different mics. When I tried to switch to the mic at the bottom of the list, the sound did not change. Maybe it's the buffer itself. I'll try at 64 samples and see it that helps. I mean, at 32 samples I wasn't hearing any pops or clicks or anything, and moving the mics sounded completely smooth.
I have resigned to just making adjustments and saving it to the af3 cab slots. May have something to do with running beta 23 on mine? We should try another cable, although I've been streaming apple music all morning from my laptop with no issue. Hmm, maybe don't use the usb audio stream while doing this.

Okay, I repated my steps, reopening the software in SW Live Mode, each time with a higher buffer, and it kept hanging up sonically but not visually after a little bit, until I hit 256 samples, and that seems to have stabilized. I can now select any mic in any cab, and all the parameters seem to work.

I haven't used the SW live part of CL4, until today. It is a bit flaky with its connection to Af3 for me. Seems like it works great, until I add mics or make changes. Then it stops responding to edits.

No latency on the Axe? I’m on the FM3 and maybe that’s why I have latency. Using the lowest buffer settings too.

just use the “communication pause” feature on Axe-Edit for example, then use Cab-Lab, and vice versa

Thanks for that. That does work just fine.

I have resigned to just making adjustments and saving it to the af3 cab slots. May have something to do with running beta 23 on mine? We should try another cable, although I've been streaming apple music all morning from my laptop with no issue. Hmm, maybe don't use the usb audio stream while doing this.

You mean changing the USB cable? Hmmm...maybe, but it's been working fine all this time for recording directly from the Axe-FX III into reaper, using the Axe as the interface, and using Axe-Edit at the same time. And just increasing the buffer has taken care of the problem so far. I'm thinking a good workaround is to use the looper at a 256 sample buffer to find a tone, stop playback on the looper, reduce the buffer to your preferred lower setting, then play live to continue auditioning the cab(s).

One possibility is that Cab Lab does not have access to your documents folder. By chance is your Windows user directory set to write only?

Please check Cab-Lab 4 Settings/Preference Cab Pack Installation directory and make sure that this folder is one that your user account has complete read/write access to. (The default installation path on Windows is (Your user)/documents/fractal audio/cab-lab 4/cab packs)

You could also try to run Cab-Lab 4 as an administrator, though you should not need to do this.
Thanks Matt, I ended up changing the drive to save it at and it worked fine.

So far, so good. Very well executed and had no issues with the purchase, download and installation of the Cab Packs or Cab Lab 4.

I started with the HW Audition configuration and everything worked as expected, this is how I was used to using Cab Lab 3. The device setup instructions are very clear and easy to follow. I do agree that it would be more convenient if Axe Edit could run simultaneously with Cab Lab 4 but it's not that big of a deal to pause and unpause between the two programs.

I enjoy the ability to move the mic around the speaker, I was impressed with the way the tone changed slightly when moving it in different positions as would occur with a real mic and speaker. All adjustments have been smooth and I've not experienced the spinning wheel/hourglass when selecting different mics or making adjustments between the IRs.

The only hiccup I experienced was using the Software Audition configuration. I'm using the Axe III into an Audient iD14 and originally selected the iD14 as the ASIO Audio device. There was no sound or signal at the iD14 using this configuration even though signal was present on the Axe III. I selected DirectSound with the iD14 as the output device and the Axe III as the input device and had sound but with a lot of latency.

I went back to the ASIO configuration and selected the Axe III as the audio device and am able to monitor through the iD14 with minimal latency.

Had a "failed to install" error, but the pack shows as authorised. How do I reinstall?

EDIT - ok, had to De-Authorise and reinstall, but would be easier to have an option to explain that.

1697278689107.png

Last edited:
Purchased & installed went great. Refreshed cab names and my saved name came up. I'm using the FM3 and it had a good amount of latency. I was able to create a Cab with the 1960 and the Morgan that came out great, but with the latency experimenting would be hard.

Any tips on overcoming the latency in audition?

Have you tried adjusting the Audio buffer size?

from Cab-Lab Manual (P6) :
In Cab-Lab, open Settings > Audio MIDI Setup. Adjust
the Audio buffer size as low as possible without
causing audio dropouts and glitches. (The limit will
depend on the capabilities of your computer.)

Purchased & installed went great. Refreshed cab names and my saved name came up. I'm using the FM3 and it had a good amount of latency. I was able to create a Cab with the 1960 and the Morgan that came out great, but with the latency experimenting would be hard.

Any tips on overcoming the latency in audition?

Put the looper directly after your input on your preset. Playback level at 0db. Set up a loop. Then run the loop for your session. I’ve posted about the latency and no one has made any suggestions so this is what I’ve been doing.

Have you tried adjusting the Audio buffer size?

from Cab-Lab Manual (P6) :
In Cab-Lab, open Settings > Audio MIDI Setup. Adjust
the Audio buffer size as low as possible without
causing audio dropouts and glitches. (The limit will
depend on the capabilities of your computer.)

Mine is set at the lowest buffer size but still has latency on the FM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom