Dumble in 7.00?

Thanks again everyone.

Austinbuddy - would be great if you could tone match your Bludotone ;)

I've tried everyone's suggestions, but it still isn't there for me; very easy to end up with a phasey or cocked wah sound.

I have to agree with Paztag, what you described sounds more like the cab you are using. Literally try a bunch of the factory cabs, just click through them. I like to mix two cabs sometimes with the Dumble myself.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone.

Austinbuddy - would be great if you could tone match your Bludotone ;)

I've tried everyone's suggestions, but it still isn't there for me; very easy to end up with a phasey or cocked wah sound.

I'm actually going into a studio on Labor Day with some fellow Fractalites and we are planning to do some CAB IR shooting and tone matching versus the real thing. Will be first time "doing it right" and will be happy to share the results if notable, both here and on Axe Change.

I'm using the stock cabs. I honestly just don't hear that Dumble sound yet, but really appreciate everyone's ideas and input.

Looking forward to hearing and hopefully trying your tone matches Austinbuddy!

Try to move the tonestack to "pre" . Otherwise it sounds like a metalamp.
If you look at a doumble schematic you will see that the tonestack is located after
The first preampstage just like on a fenderamp.

What do we hear in the vid? A real cab in the room? If so, the only correct comparison should be Axe-real cab (poweramp/cab or Atomic or so). Most of the direct recordings at this forum are fantastic. I think it would be much more difficult to achieve this tone in the room and a lot of guys here play Axe-Poweramp-cab.

Just came across a few interesting bits about our "one trick pony" that doesn't do his trick too easily... :mrgreen
+ seems L. Carlton Dumble sound is a different flavor (if you want to *totally* cop it anyway)

SuperReverb2:
- The Bludotone Ojai Special is an exact clone of Robben Ford's Tan Dumble and sounds and feels amazing. Ojai California is Robben Ford's home town.
- The Ojai Special is pretty much all about Ford's Jing Chi Live at Yoshi's tonality. One trick yes, but oh what a trick!
- There are LOTS of clones out there. Ceriatone, Fuchs, Bludotone, Glaswerks, Two-Rock, Carol-Ann, Skrydstrup, Quinn Amps, Pure Sixty-Four, Reinhardt, VVT, Brown Note, Redplate, and yes, even the Peavey Custom Shop (to name a few) all make Dumble style amps or have at least one Dumble style amp in their line-up these days. Some are based on a particular Dumble (clones of) while others offer their own distinctive twist on a particular era of Dumble circuitry. The 70's style Dumble circuit is considered to be the most Fenderesque, while the 80's "Classic" circuit is pretty much everything Larry Carlton, and the 90's + circuit is pretty much everything Robben Ford.

FDP - Forum
Bludotone ojai special in the house!! Woah!! - The Gear Page [the same guy, I'm guessing]

update: seems Larry has used one too...
"When Larry Carlton and Robben Ford came through Tokyo last year, Carlton had a 1x12 Bludotone and Ford had his Dumble with the Super Reverb." [of course, there are different Bludotones as well...]

Last edited:
i just had a play around and got a really nice tone

i used the 100 lead -
drive on 3.5
mid on 10
trb on 0
pres on 0
master on 7

cabs - 4x12 basketweave g12h30 and the g12m25

everything else at default

i just reduced my guitar volume a touch to sweeten it

try preamp compression on 30 if you like a little smoothness

i just had a play around and got a really nice tone

i used the 100 lead -
drive on 3.5
mid on 10
trb on 0
pres on 0
master on 7

cabs - 4x12 basketweave g12h30 and the g12m25

everything else at default

i just reduced my guitar volume a touch to sweeten it

try preamp compression on 30 if you like a little smoothness

Thanks, will try this. From the video I posted and others I've heard (never in person, mind you) what I hear is a thick, darker sound, but with that "chirp" on the high end and sustain without grit.

I have tried getting that Robben Ford sound, but I have not been able to quite get it. Here is a video of a guy playing a Robben Ford tune with a Bludotone and it sounds dead on. I have gotten close, but not all the way there (even drowning it in reverb to match how the recording was done). I even tried matching the amp controls to that of the video, but I can't tell how the switches are set in the video and how the Axe-Fx's model was set. I would like to try with an IR of that cabinet.

I wanted to post that same clip earlier on :)
Not sure if it's spot on, but it sure seems to have a couple extras that I would expect to hear more easily in the Axe.
FAS has a PRS, I believe. I wonder if it can easily be made to sound like this for them...?

I stayed away from the Dumble models because they always sounded so bogus on the samples - not very close at all IMO. Actually, I did try it once back around 6.1, and I thought it was very weak and effeminate sounding...

I wanted to post that same clip earlier on :)
Not sure if it's spot on, but it sure seems to have a couple extras that I would expect to hear more easily in the Axe.
FAS has a PRS, I believe. I wonder if it can easily be made to sound like this for them...?

I agree. It is weird because I don't hear these missing "extras" with many of the other tones I have tried to copy. I have heard spot on tones of many famous guitar tones with the Axe-Fx. SRV with his fender cleans and overdrive sounds, Gilmour, Zeppelin, ACDC, Van Halen, Eric Johnson, etc. But that Dumble Robben Ford tone is still alluding the Fractal community. There is something going on in that amp that I feel is not modeled, or not modeled properly yet. I know Cliff loves his JCM800 and amps of that type, but I feel nailing that Dumble tone should be the primary focus of one of the next "modeling updates." I just hope it makes it in the Axe-Fx II and it's modeling algorithm is not too complicated (and have to wait till the Axe-Fx III.)

Cliff is a Robben Ford fan too, actually (thx for the Zen!). So it's not that he wouldn't want to.
He either can't :p or believes it's an IR or user issue?
Or maybe they *will* try to do better in the near future...

Many years ago, Scott Lerner could give them seemingly good info (for the then current model). I hope they would consult with such people again, if appropriate or when having no clue left. He plays an Ojai too, I believe.
Scott Lerner said:
I wish there was an adjustment for interstage gain. The issue was either too much gain or not enough. Tone is decent but I feel it could be a little more open in the mids and have a bit more chirp. I am sure that I can get it way better with more work on the cabs and eq. / Cliff, in my experience, the internal trimmer that sets the gain between the V1 tube and the OD stages is the most critical. Set it in the model for 26K from ground with 294K feeding it. In other words, 220K series resistance feeding a 100K trimmer set 26K from ground. Also, the model would definitely benefit from the input gain and OD gain being seperately adjustable. / [I used] Skyline non HRM. I only saw one HAD model. I set it for pre stack and skyline stack.

As it is, I'm having fun, but not WOWed. Seems it can sound like another amp entirely and lose all Dumble character, even with tonestack in pre. But like others are saying, controls may be just as critical on the real thing (but I wouldn't think so, to this degree).
We'll see when austinbuddy gets an IR for us (tyvm).

I've built a couple of D-style amps, purchased (and quickly sold) a clone of #183, still have a Glaswerks Zingaro (nice amp for the money!) and actually played the original after an RF show. Playing the original, I was also using his Tele, though, and I wondered how much of the goodness I was hearing was guitar versus amp.

Anyway, I have one amp that I built and rebuilt a lot trying for fun and for tone. I am nowhere near the expert Scott Lerner is. But my amp sounds killer to me...it ought to after over a year of tweaking. It sounded at least as good to me than the #183 clone I bought in every way except noise. So I need to revisit my wiring, which will make me have to go back and readjust C and R values somewhere, I'm certain.

Point? Even getting a real amp like that to cop the tone of Rugged Road or Politician is not easy. The AFII gets me pretty close in some ways, but me of the pieces I think is missing is the G12-65: if I am going through an FRFR system, even using blends of mostly Jay's FF 2x12 and other things, I can't quit get what I want to hear out of the system. The G12-65 has this smooth bite to the upper mids that to me is a fair fraction of the tone you hear on RF tunes. There is something there on the actual speaker that I don't hear in the IRs I have access to.

But if dedicated amp builders using theoretically identical components can't get the same tone as the original, we probably shouldn't be shocked to find that a modeler using none of the same components doesn't do it exactly right. We might be shocked to find how close it gets given that.

Last edited:
I would like to hear this amp model through a real g12-65 cabinet recorded with a flat room mic or even just a video camera like some of these videos. Maybe the amp model would be closer than I think then. There is this "glassy" sound that the real amp has that is not gain or EQ related that I hear in the real amp.

i've been messing around a bit more and i'm close...very close...but without the proper cab ir, i don't think it's possible to really nail it. i increased the mid speaker resonance at 2k, which seemed to help a lot and the amp definitely has the right qualities about it, but the top end is kinda fuzzy and all the clips have a glassy top end to them

increased damp to 7 and the fuzziness went away. anybody want the patch to work on it some more?

i'm not sure if the master should be at about 8 and drive at 5, or the other way round....i've never played one of these

simeon said:
increased damp to 7 and the fuzziness went away. anybody want the patch to work on it some more?

Not sure when I'd get some real time to try it out, but I'd be interested. I'll share mine as well.

Back
Top Bottom