Dumble in 7.00?

Check this out. You can see settings in detail and all that jazz. Not RF sounding at all, but it's a Dumble. And it gives another perspective on the sound you can get from this amp. Note that this guy's playing style is nothing like Robben's. Which makes for a different experience altogether. And he's using a Marshall Cab. That's another very different look.

Dumble ODS-100 played with Flaxwood Liekki Custom. - YouTube

I have a friend who might be convinced to agree to send his Dumble ODS to Cliff for modeling if Cliff is interested. I PMed Cliff but have not heard back. We'll see where this goes (or not).

Am not an expert as to what a Dumble is supposed to sound like as I have never played a real one. Have listened to what I have heard Larry Carlton using for years and he has a bit of a unique setup.
What did strike me about the FAS take on ODS Lead was the change in gain as the different Firmwares were released.
The newer FW's have much more gain to my ears anyway.
I was surprised at the significant change.

here's mine...

...and here is mine. View attachment 183-7b.syx
The only tricky thing about it might be that one of the cabs I'm currently using is an OH 1960 Marshall cab with G12Ms mic'd with a Beyer M160 (#4). But I've used stock cabs with the G12-65-ish speakers with some success, too. (Update: I changed it a little to include a stock cab instead)

I seem to be after lower gain than most, and try to get my lead tone out of the drive pedal. Note also the parallel Twin amp...that's become less needed with 7.0, but before I found that I needed it in there to get the bass present enough without being muddy, and it also helped with the "ping" of the notes. Turn it on and off and see what you think.

Last edited:
simeon said:
here's mine...

Simeon,

I tried yours out, and the first thing that strikes me is that it seems very bass-heavy. What monitors are you mixing on?

I am designing my patches on JBL LSR28p monitors in a small room that I know has some bass standing wave issues.

Simeon,

I tried yours out, and the first thing that strikes me is that it seems very bass-heavy. What monitors are you mixing on?

I am designing my patches on JBL LSR28p monitors in a small room that I know has some bass standing wave issues.

i'm monitoring on a pair of tannoy reveals. the easiest way to deal with any extra bottom end would be to raise the low cut param in the cab block, i reckon...

I've built a couple of D-style amps, purchased (and quickly sold) a clone of #183, still have a Glaswerks Zingaro (nice amp for the money!) and actually played the original after an RF show. Playing the original, I was also using his Tele, though, and I wondered how much of the goodness I was hearing was guitar versus amp.

Anyway, I have one amp that I built and rebuilt a lot trying for fun and for tone. I am nowhere near the expert Scott Lerner is. But my amp sounds killer to me...it ought to after over a year of tweaking. It sounded at least as good to me than the #183 clone I bought in every way except noise. So I need to revisit my wiring, which will make me have to go back and readjust C and R values somewhere, I'm certain.

Point? Even getting a real amp like that to cop the tone of Rugged Road or Politician is not easy. The AFII gets me pretty close in some ways, but me of the pieces I think is missing is the G12-65: if I am going through an FRFR system, even using blends of mostly Jay's FF 2x12 and other things, I can't quit get what I want to hear out of the system. The G12-65 has this smooth bite to the upper mids that to me is a fair fraction of the tone you hear on RF tunes. There is something there on the actual speaker that I don't hear in the IRs I have access to.

But if dedicated amp builders using theoretically identical components can't get the same tone as the original, we probably shouldn't be shocked to find that a modeler using none of the same components doesn't do it exactly right. We might be shocked to find how close it gets given that.

Note that there is a FACTORY cab of G12-65s it is a 4 X 12 and in fact I do use that on my own Dumble patches, combined with the far field. We'll see if CAB Ir shooting works. One issue is, assuming the Bludotone 2 X 12 oval back cab comes in by then, is the G12-65's in it will not be "fully broken in." Will definitely shoo the IR of hte 1 X 12 dual port cab (modeled of Carlton's that Dumble built for him) although I have something other than an EVL-12 in it,. it's something Brandon at Bludotone thought was similar to an older EVL-SRO and is AiNiCo. I love it myself. While am at it will do the Bogner 1 X12 Dual port (Shiva style) with a Celestion Lead 80. We'll try and get some Sm57s, a ribbon mic, and a Condensor version of each IR. I am generally a Cap Edge 1" kinda-guy...

Yeah, I have a Bludotone ASW speaker, an old EV SRO both mounted in a Forte vertical 3-D cab. That's become my main cabinet combination, but I find myself liking the G12-65 better than the SRO for Robbenesque tones.

Did anybody try out my patch at all?

simeon said:
i'm monitoring on a pair of tannoy reveals. the easiest way to deal with any extra bottom end would be to raise the low cut param in the cab block, i reckon...

I agree, and often do that. I find it interesting that you apparently haven't found that necessary I this case, though.

Not necessarily so; the lo cut is at the input of the preamp, it gets rid of flubby/muddy distortion.
Too much low end can come from after the preamp (poweramp settings, i.e. depth and others; cab type; mic type), so for reducing low end I'd have a go at the amp's EQ, the xFormer Low Frequ., the cab's lo cut (does it have one? not sure :) )

just tried my original preset and it was a bit bassy. i changed cabs and tweaked a bit. this one sounds similar to the original youtube clip in the first post. i'll leave it to the experts, i think...

Back
Top Bottom