Dumble in 7.00?

vinceh

Inspired
Just wondering if anyone has tried to get the Dumble sound lately?

I'm using the ODS-100 LEAD model with either cabinet E12L stock cabs, but I just can't seem to get "that sound".

I haven't tried tone matching yet as I was hoping to get the model closer first.

Here is a bludotone sound that I am trying to achieve:

Search a bit. I know a few users here have spent huge amounts of time on this and are quite close.

Edit = It was Austinbuddy who I recalled in the above comment.

SEE HIS INPUT IN HIS POST BELOW - GOOD AND QUALIFIED RESEARCH THERE.

Last edited:
I'm not enough of a tweaker to speak out (and I'm using the wrong guitars), but I'm a huge Carlton / Ford fan and I tend to agree "that sound" is still not there by a twist of the knob... (I'm not saying it should, just hoping it is).

I'm loving the new Zen Drive in 7.0. I'm finding the Doubleverb with the Zen sounds more Dumbly to me than the ODS.
Also, if you haven't already, try the "Cork Sniffers" preset. Sounds closer to me as a starting point than the ODS-100 Lead preset.

There definitely are a couple up here. New one is "Joe Share" or something like that- it's on exchange. Try that one. -sounds like a Dumble to me, So do some of the others.

Clip sounds really nice-very smooth sounding.

This is one of many ways to get closer:

Keys to this patch are:
- bridge humbucker
- OD pedal in front of the amp
- low master volume
- 2kHz boost in the speaker tab
- Jay Mitchells open emi cab with SM57 and very high proximity setting to boost lower mids
- some added in the room feel from the reverb

Again, this is one approach to explore Dumble territory, not THE approach.

Have fun and feel free to explore and change the attached patch.
Tip: Finetune with the graphic eq of the amp.

Attachments

• Dumble Lead V7.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 75
Hi guys,

I should have been clear: the YouTube vid is not my clip; just the sound I want to create in the Axe.

Cliff may correct me, but I believe the ODS-100 lead sound in the AXE II is a tone-matched Bludotone Ojai -- which is the amp Robben Ford bought from Bludotone and uses on tour sometimes, as it is directly modeled off his original Dumble "Ojai" amp. People how buy the real amp are very happy with it (if they can play that is, it is very transparent on picking technique!).

Get your speaker cabs right (try G12-65hs, others) and make sure you dial the gain down not up to get these kinds of tones. The DNA is there. Maybe on Axe Change some of us will be able to create IRs of the 2 X12 Dumble cabs like Ford uses and the 1 X 12 ported cab Carlton uses with an EVL loaded in it. Here is a FW 7.0 version I have tweaked at bedroom levels and hope soon to tonematch it to my amp live to get a little more bass end going on. There is a lot of X/Y stuff I use (for clean/dirty amp, and for effects) you'll have to map out to your own rig. This one loves low-output hum buckers (like Lollars). Good luck!

Attachments

• Ojai Yum.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 65
Thanks again everyone.

Austinbuddy - would be great if you could tone match your Bludotone ;)

I've tried everyone's suggestions, but it still isn't there for me; very easy to end up with a phasey or cocked wah sound.

Thanks again everyone.

very easy to end up with a phasey or cocked wah sound.

Then that's mostly your cab choice, I would say. The phasey sound has always come from poor cab IRs or mismatched, I should say. Try Scott's formula (though I still use -3dB not -6 on my mixes) and that should get rid of the phasey aspect.

Groovenut also posted a preset that was quite tasty. Much more reverie because he was going for the "revelations" vibe, but good tone and nice cab.

What I can tell you also, is that even with the real amp, getting that tone takes a bit of tweaking. It's not pre-baked and ready to ingest. There are many combinations of switches and knobs that alter the sound significantly. So it took me a while to get "the tone" with my amp. Much less with the Axe. I would recommend doing it in several iterations. Set it up so you can AB the sounds through the same monitors, tweak a bit, let it rest, come back to it, and so forth and approach it on a "gradient" slope towards ideal.

Also, on my presets with the ODS, moving the tonestack position helped quite a bit to get closer to what I was looking for.

Hope this all helps.

Back
Top Bottom