Drum software

I use the older Trilogy bass module and it is great. I need to buy Trillian someday. the Spectrasonics stuff is Top Notch

All the Spectrasonics stuff is awesome. I have Stylus, Omnisphere and Trillian. I'd buy any new product they release sight unseen. As far as drums go, I personally like Mixosaurus. It's the most natural sounding IMO.

All the Spectrasonics stuff is awesome. I have Stylus, Omnisphere and Trillian. I'd buy any new product they release sight unseen.

+1 to all three statements. Spectrasonics are the best in the business in terms of product quality, customer service and value for money.

BFD2 is superior for natural sounding drum performances. I perform all drum parts (never use a loop) and the level of detail in the velocity is incredibly realistic. I really like the mixer interface as well. I have presets saved for kits in all different genres. Sometimes you might want a little more compression on the snare or more of the recorded room sound and you can just tweak until you go insane. It is so flexible. Down side are the inserts available. They have some stuff that sounds good (Vintage Warmer Compressor for instance) but not a ton and the reverbs S U C K. But as Clarky mentioned, you can always bounce out the individual tracks and do a proper drum mix with your host's plugins. You can use the sends in BFD2 to send out to a bus in your host so you can use reverbs and such which is very cool. I have purchased a ton of content for this and it is all well recorded Never can have enough snare options though.

Plus 1000000 on the Spectrasonics stuff. Stylus is killer for hip hop or any sample based drum break type things. Also has some cool sound design elements for cinematic type stuff. Trillian's Acoustic basses are the best, bar none. Super cool and nearly endless synth bass patches too. Omnisphere sounds so F-ing good, especially the hybrid acoustic/sound designed patches. Those guys are frickin geniuses. There are too many patches though. Ha!

Still loving addictive drums.
A lot of friends have produced, released and sold commercial tracks with this too - really sounds great !

What i would like is a standalone and/or vst that i can use to also create my own loops and fix my lame mistakes with a quantize function...Is this possible with any of the above mentioned programs. I came from old school zoom drum machines that allowed me to do this...which i just recorded analog. I have Cubase and i have heard some ways of using one of the editors to do this...but just looking for simple way that i can use my own midi controller (have the Korg padKontrol). I'd like to use this to manually drum using the samples from AD or other Drum software...loop and overdub layer by layer...

suggestions or ideas?

edit: re reading the thread it seems Cyberferret has partially answered this. Still interested in any comments/ideas...

Last edited:
I've been using Addictive Drums since forever 8) Can't say if its better than others. Sounds good to me. Don't take my word for it. Like any other gear... try it yourself. oh that and Rayzoon Jamstix. I suck at drums!:mrgreen

Check out Rayzoon's Jamstix.
Rayzoon - Virtual Drum Software
There's a sale on.
I like it a lot.
It's like playing with a real drummer.
You can choose a kit, a style and a drummer.
And then you can tweak the drummer's brain for each section of the song.
Now there's a contradiction....the drummer's brain ;)

Thanks! Never heard about jamstix but it looks very interesting for my needs. Will try the demo.

What i would like is a standalone and/or vst that i can use to also create my own loops and fix my lame mistakes with a quantize function...Is this possible with any of the above mentioned programs. I came from old school zoom drum machines that allowed me to do this...which i just recorded analog. I have Cubase and i have heard some ways of using one of the editors to do this...but just looking for simple way that i can use my own midi controller (have the Korg padKontrol). I'd like to use this to manually drum using the samples from AD or other Drum software...loop and overdub layer by layer...

suggestions or ideas?

edit: re reading the thread it seems Cyberferret has partially answered this. Still interested in any comments/ideas...

In Pro Tools you can quantize on input, when you are midi recording, or in post, midi editing. It's not a plug. It's builtin to the DAW.

I'm guessing Cubase would have some midi functions like that builtin too.

Check out Rayzoon's Jamstix.
Rayzoon - Virtual Drum Software
There's a sale on.
I like it a lot.
It's like playing with a real drummer.
You can choose a kit, a style and a drummer.
And then you can tweak the drummer's brain for each section of the song.
Now there's a contradiction....the drummer's brain ;)

Thanks for the tip! I played with the demo today and read a few great reviews so I went for it - just ordered the fully loaded Jamstix 'Studio' bundle - half-price $125!

For years now, I've written songs that I envision with drums, wanting to record them at home myself (at least demo-quality). Most of the time what stops me is that manually programming drums is tedious and annoying for me. It might be a really simple song idea where I could track the guitars, bass and vocals in an hour. But the the drums will take many hours or days. I've used Toontrack quite a bit, and it sounds great, but my workflow has been a combination of assembling midi loops, manual editing and finger-playing (keyboard or pad controller). I'm not a real drummer, nor do I have space at home for a v-kit.

I'm hoping I can get good useable drum tracks much quicker with Jamstix. Looks promising.. I'll let you know how well it works out.

Reactions: gpz
I've been using Addictive Drums - just got the SSD4 Slate drums during the Cyber Monday sale so I'll be trying those out too.

Why is there aversion to drum products that are recognisable? Presumably they're recognisable because people like them.

Most people can easily identify Strat, Tele and Les Paul tones, but we're happy to keep using them.

Yeah, but you can also recognize that someone's hands were playing those guitars.

That's what I love about Mixosaurus. It's the closest thing to a multi mic'd drum kit in a studio I've found. One really good kit that you can make fit pretty much anything musically.

Why is there aversion to drum products that are recognisable? Presumably they're recognisable because people like them.

Most people can easily identify Strat, Tele and Les Paul tones, but we're happy to keep using them.

When folks say they can recognize a drum plug or samples, I feel like they are talking about recognizing when the drums are programmed vs. tracked.

It is folks don't want it to sound like drum samples, they want it to sound like they tracked a multi-miked kit themselves.

I like the SOUND QUALITY of Addictive Dums best - both the samples, and the velocity mapping. Jamstix certainly looks interesting, however, I'm waiting to see what the 'sync to live audio' features look like - they haven't published that video on their site yet.

Thanks for the tip! I played with the demo today and read a few great reviews so I went for it - just ordered the fully loaded Jamstix 'Studio' bundle - half-price $125!

For years now, I've written songs that I envision with drums, wanting to record them at home myself (at least demo-quality). Most of the time what stops me is that manually programming drums is tedious and annoying for me. It might be a really simple song idea where I could track the guitars, bass and vocals in an hour. But the the drums will take many hours or days. I've used Toontrack quite a bit, and it sounds great, but my workflow has been a combination of assembling midi loops, manual editing and finger-playing (keyboard or pad controller). I'm not a real drummer, nor do I have space at home for a v-kit.

I'm hoping I can get good useable drum tracks much quicker with Jamstix. Looks promising.. I'll let you know how well it works out.

My same situation, except I need to be able to interactively 'jam' with a 'drummer' for an indeterminate length. I wonder if someday the 'Artificial Intelligence' will be smart enough that the software can actually examine the dynamics of audio and 'figure out' likely places for fills, breakdowns etc. Making improvised music with a software drummer may be too difficult in the end - but I may still purchase this for more 'normal' songs. Wish they had the video on how to jam live with the software - not on their site yet.

When folks say they can recognize a drum plug or samples, I feel like they are talking about recognizing when the drums are programmed vs. tracked.

It is folks don't want it to sound like drum samples, they want it to sound like they tracked a multi-miked kit themselves.

Cool, thx barhrecords, that makes sense. 8)

My same situation, except I need to be able to interactively 'jam' with a 'drummer' for an indeterminate length. I wonder if someday the 'Artificial Intelligence' will be smart enough that the software can actually examine the dynamics of audio and 'figure out' likely places for fills, breakdowns etc.

Jamstix does this already.

There's "Audio Jam" mode. You insert a plugin onto an audio track (even one you're playing in real time on your guitar) and Jamstix listens to your audio levels. As you get louder, it gets louder. Not just louder, but more fills, and busier parts. As you play quieter, Jamstix quiets down, drops parts and simplified the beat. You can even make adjustments to the dynamic curve it follows, or adjust the max/min velocity that hits will use. I.E. you can set it simply play a more basic beat on quiet parts, but still full volume hits. Or vice versa, you can set it to play busy over loud parts, but using sidestick and quiet dynamics still.

In other words, Jamstix is awesome if you're just looking to "jam" with a drummer.

As for recording, the Jamstix kits aren't the most amazing sounds I've heard, but what I do is take the midi out of jamstix and feed it to Superior Drummer, which I then mix out of the box. I also mix the Jamstix samples in under the Superior samples, especially snare and kick, to flush things out a bit.

Regarding the "People recognizing a drum sound" - it's not the DRUMS people are talking about. Think of the drum sound on the beginning of "When the levee breaks". That huge reverb, pumpy compression, clanky hi hat sound. If I put out a record with that exact drum sound, would you recognize the DRUMS? No. You'd recognize the drum PRODUCTION. This is the problem most people encounter with pre-treated sample sets like EzDrummer. It's too easy to run into multiple artists and recordings using the exact same samples, treated the exact same way. So it's not like recognizing "hey, that sounds like a Tele!" - instead it's like recognizing the guitar, the production, and even the player.

Back
Top Bottom