Drop Top

Yes, it is a lot of money. But I have been following TAs for a while, and so far that is the first interesting one I've found for this price with the 2-bolt neck and available for international shipping. Ishibashi is selling this model on Reverb for $4,446 :eek: and directly from their website for $2,819 only. Adding shipping + import duty + tax I would have to pay $3,500

I am currently vacillating between that, or a Suhr Pro Series M2 for $1,900 at the local market, which seems to be a much better value for money deal 😅
View attachment 103519
Yeah... $2800 seems more reasonable.

I'm sure the Suhr would be great, too, although my personal preference would lean to the TA for both HSS and nicer top.

Also consider the 22 vs 24-fret neck...

Yeah... $2800 seems more reasonable.

I'm sure the Suhr would be great, too, although my personal preference would lean to the TA for both HSS and nicer top.

Also consider the 22 vs 24-fret neck...

That is also my preference. Just hesitating about spending so much money. And wondering if the added value (besides the brand and the aesthetics) is really worth that difference. Resale value would be none if I pay that much, but now that it is not so important. I just want to play a good guitar

I think both look like really nice guitars. Between these two particular examples I prefer the Suhr in this case because the price is better and it is in much better condition. You should be able to sell it with no loss if you don't like it. I also prefer the finish color of the Suhr. While the flame top on the Anderson is nice, the finish color is kind of bland IMO. If the Anderson was in like new condition it would be a much harder decision. Things that go in favor of the Anderson: I like the neck heel design, I like the HSS pickup config (more versatile), and the Buzz Feiten tuning system is a plus.

Both Suhr and Anderson are top notch. I think Suhrs are a little prettier, or at least they used to be. The quality of tops on all brands has been declining, likely due to wood supplies dwindling. I think Andersons sound a bit better for whatever reason. Playability on both is excellent.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Anderson Drop Top and Angel.
If you have the cash, I think the playability and tone is second to none.
Something about those pyramid-ish frets that Anderson uses, just feel amazing.

Both Suhr and Anderson are top notch. I think Suhrs are a little prettier, or at least they used to be. The quality of tops on all brands has been declining, likely due to wood supplies dwindling. I think Andersons sound a bit better for whatever reason. Playability on both is excellent.

I have a Suhr strat, and it's an amazing instrument. Mine is a SSS and was built to my spec with a few minor changes to the standard config. It has completely fulfilled my desire for a vintage strat, and is my #1 guitar.

Tom Anderson started making the atom right after he stopped making the bulldog (thanks to a lawsuit by Gibson). It never even went to court. Tom didn't want the hassle nor expense of a court battle, so he just stopped making the bulldog in lieu of taking it to court.

I had one of the last bulldogs. I asked him how many were made and he said all in about 500 bulldogs.

Tom Anderson started making the atom right after he stopped making the bulldog (thanks to a lawsuit by Gibson). It never even went to court. Tom didn't want the hassle nor expense of a court battle, so he just stopped making the bulldog in lieu of taking it to court.

I had one of the last bulldogs. I asked him how many were made and he said all in about 500 bulldogs.
No, the Bobcat replaced the Bulldog after Gibson threatened him.LP_BD_BC.jpg

I had a Trans Black Bulldog. I thought it would have been the best of both worlds. Anderson craftsmanship and Les Paul vibe.
I did not gel with it. Not sure if it was the bolt on neck/different angle or what.
It made me realize - an actual Les Paul is where it's at for me.

Which one did you decide to get?

Not decided yet. I am blocked 🙈

At the shortlist:
  • That Tom Drop Top $3,500
  • Suhr Pro Series M2 $1,900
  • New RG8570CST $3,300 (that was my initial option, a natural finish j.custom with a Lo-pro Edge, but then the other options started popping out)
  • j.custom MRG15 $2,300
  • j.custom RG8570Z RS or RG8560 BSR $1900 - $2,000
  • PRS (Wide range of options here. I have another thread open 😅)
  • Warmoth DIY build ~$2,200
I am sad that I missed the MRG17 sale on Reverb last month. That would have been my decision without any hesitation.

Max budget is ~$4,000

Last edited:
I’ve always been tempted by all the customization options with Warmoth, but the way I go through guitars, resale value has become a factor in my buying decisions. A used Suhr or Anderson will most likely sell for what you bought it for. I’m not sure if this is a factor for you though.

I absolutely love my Anderson T. Anderson makes such nice guitars. I had some questions when I was looking so I called the factory. Tom Anderson himself took 15 minutes out of his day to answer a bunch of questions from a nobody like me.

Back
Top Bottom