Drives in v. 17

Gytaxor

Inspired
Hey guys, I noticed that drives have a lot more gain, or how to put it - when I use for example TS808 sim, then even with drive to 0 it distorts really clean amp, that doesn´t break up even when I am diggin in real hard.

and pretty much every ts based drive sounds that way.

Is that supposed to be that way or am I doing something wrong?

thanks

J.

Ts-808 type drives were updated for greater accuracy a few firmwares ago. What is your level parameter set at in the drive block?

I usualy set to like 7 or 8 to get approximately same loudness with it on and off. But even when I tried to lower the level, the sound was still quite distorted. It is not a bad sound, but I used to get mildly overdriven (on the verge of breakup) tone with it. I can get it with other drives, like FET boost, etc. It sounds a bit different but it is not a big deal. I was just wondering if that is supposed to behave like that.

I am trying some drives now. What I noticed is that the levels go all over the place. Some sound really loud (like the new SDD preamp) and others have a fairly low level. Beware of your speaker and ears! Not sure why the output levels are not somewhat the same for all models. Also trying out the new ruckus model but it sounds very muffled and with really much low end. Don't get this model. What is it supposed to sound like? SDD is very nice.

I am trying some drives now. What I noticed is that the levels go all over the place. Some sound really loud (like the new SDD preamp) and others have a fairly low level. Beware of your speaker and ears! Not sure why the output levels are not somewhat the same for all models. Also trying out the new ruckus model but it sounds very muffled and with really much low end. Don't get this model. What is it supposed to sound like? SDD is very nice.

Hmmm.. sounds just like using a bunch of real pedals, doesn't it ?

Some have hotter outputs than others, some some dark, some are harsh, some have a midrange scoop, and some you like, some you don't.

I could very well say I don't get a ton of hardware pedals and amps and why someone would want to pay good money for them.

This is why the Axe gives us so many choices, because with 200 amps and what, 50 drive pedals, there should be something to suit everyone's own unique taste and needs.

I don't know why we like to focus on the negative instead of the positive though. Instead of enjoying the models we do like, we instead seem like we'd rather take the in internet and complain about the models we don't like. Human nature I guess...

All right, I didn´t mean to start a flaming discussion on inaccuracy of the drive pedals. I just noticed something and I wanted to know if it is supposed to be that way. I guess I need to just find how the real pedal sounds and staart from there. If Cliff says it models the pedal in its entirety then I believe it :)

so I am off to wiki and google. Bye boys. :)

Back
Top Bottom