Drive Models Suck

For me the axe is a done deal but amplifying it unfortunately is not. I wish Fractal would design an FR FR solution.

That's the biggest variable in the whole equation, isn't it? Seems like an ongoing issue/problem
for many.

Just look at how many threads have existed on this topic over the years (hundreds, if not thousands!), and
some who are happy with their FRFR solutions now, were also happy with different solutions in the past. Hmmm???

I personally find FRFR fatiguing over the long term. Something more pleasing/warmer and pleasant
about a cab. I blame those motherf'ing tweeters!!! :)

Last edited:
Solo'd like that, I have a very difficult time trying to decipher which one is different, much less which one is real or modeled. There is zero chance in a live setting with other bandmates that even the most trained ear would be able to distinguish any differences. Zero chance. Zip, Nada. Zilch. None. Nein.

Tube Screamer:
1) closest - Fractal Audio
2) Real
3) close but muted/muffled/covered highs - Neural Cortex
4) harder, brasher, edgier - Line 6

Super OD:
2) Real
3) harder, brasher, edgier - Line 6
4) close, but muffled - Neural Cortex

DS-1:
2) Real
3) close but less defined - Neural Cortex
4) harder, brasher - Line 6

Timmy:
2) Real
3) brasher, harder - Line 6

I could easily be wrong.
I am 67.
I have a 100-6K range in my left ear
and a 100-7k range in my right ear.

First listen was with my Apple laptop's internal speakers.
Second listen was with Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones
plugged into my laptop -- not reference quality headphones.

Didn't think I'd hear much of a difference but I was actually amazed how much of a difference there was! I actually preferred the Fractal over even the real pedal, and I'm not a 'drive' kinda guy

Listening to the Tube Screamer as that’s what I have mostly used; I am aware we have had the reveal, but:

1&2 sounded the same with the exception that 2 had more body or underline low end. Didn’t care much for 3 & 4, a little too dry, 1 & 2 were nice.

Soooo. With the added benefit of hindsight and the reveal, I'm now listening to these clips on something other than MacBook Air speakers. Now weirdly, I am certain I could hear more marked differences on laptop speakers that I cannot in a well treated room with Adam A5X monitors. Comments below based on the best critical listening environment I have (and probably that I have ever used. Even the losers get lucky sometimes, as a wise man once sang. ;) )

Tube Screamer: an old favourite, (mine are all TS-10s, and I think I have 3 or 4 with various modifications, one of them is pretty much a TS-808 circuit, FET switches aside), love the clarity and cut-through even though the fuzz doesn't really clean up as chords decay. In fairness I think all 4 brands have made a pretty good job of this. Love the real pedal. Struggling to pick between Fractal and Brand N as favourite for closest, but Brand L is for me 3rd place. I am not entirely sure why, because to my ears they are all pretty much on the money with this one, but there's just something not quite as "Tube Screamy" about it.

SD-1: Got one of these, don't often use it, but now wondering why. Has a real "chewy" comb filtering thing going on in low mids. Again it would be really hard to say any of the models sound bad, but Fractal and Brand N are both really close to my ears. I like the Brand L sound, but it seems to be removing slightly different frequencies to the other brands, giving a slightly different feel. Less muddy to my ears, but ultimately less faithful to what it is trying to replicate.

DS-1: Think I have 2 of these little monsters somewhere. Not subtle. :grinning: This is the first set of clips where there is something clearly not quite right in the clips for me. Fractal and Brand N have tone and texture very similar to the pedal, but Brand L has something a little weird going on with the ADSR envelope, and it seems particularly obvious (to me at least) in the single note parts of the riff. Almost as if there's a failing PP3 battery being simulated.

Timmy: This is the one where the differences really start to show. The Fractal is just about bang on the same as the pedal in every way that I can hear. Brand L is, to me at least, way off the mark tonally. Clearer, but really lacking in body and general warm "thickness". Never had one of these pedals, but I can see why people might rave about them. I think if you put one of these in a parallel signal path with a clean FET boost you would have a pretty effective "workalike" of a Klon Centaur.

I repeated the exercise complete, using a pair of ATH M50x headphones. Absolutely the same result in every way.

Digested read: Fractal Drive models sound great, and are incredibly faithful representations of the pedals they model. Brand N also do a pretty amazing job of this to my ears. While I've been pretty firmly set on a Fractal path myself for some time, I would certainly not dismiss the products on the basis of quality and authenticity of Drive models. Brand L don't seem to be quite as good for authenticity of Drive models. That doesn't mean their Drive models don't sound good, just that they are not quite in the same league for matching the tone and feel of the pedals they aim to impersonate.

Liam

Last edited:
I agree that certain differences between amps/models can actually become more apparent with a narrower audio range.
I noticed that I could hear overtones trailing off smoothly to a very low volume for the analog pedal or amp. But, certain digital models would trail off and then the overtones would suddenly disappear one by one as the volume got low. However, I could only hear that difference on the laptop -- with no bass. As soon as I put on the headphones with a more full-range bandwidth, I could no longer hear that effect. It could be that it was masked by lower frequencies or overtones -- that continued to sustain. Or, since they weren't reference headphones, the headphones themselves may have obscured the sudden uneven ending of certain overtones at low volume. If it was an aberration of the laptop, then it very consistently had no effect on any of the analog amps I heard. In the future, I will try listening for differences with the bass rolled-off. Perhaps I will hear smaller obscure differences in the mids and highs. Some sound engineers seem to be able to focus quite clearly on certain frequency ranges. I am not able to do that as well. In fact, I can have trouble hearing conversation over loud rooms or sounds. Final thought -- certain audio details and differences may be more apparent with narrower frequency ranges -- or simply, more low-end roll-off.

<snip>. But, certain digital models would trail off and then the overtones would suddenly disappear one by one as the volume got low. However, I could only hear that difference on the laptop -- with no bass. <snip>
+1 The thing that really freaks me out with these comparisons is when the overtones disappear, but then come back again. Not apparent in the drive model clips, but for some of the amp models (not Fractal, I hasten to add) I'm thinking, "Now come on, no real amp has ever done this thing!" My listening environment is pretty finely tuned, so I'll check if this is definitely repeated when playing from file with plenty of memory available in the PC. Playing direct from a web browser is far from perfect, but I think there may also be a glitch or 2 in the MP3 compression. Compounds the issues of 55 year old ears!

Liam

+1 The thing that really freaks me out with these comparisons is when the overtones disappear, but then come back again. Not apparent in the drive model clips, but for some of the amp models (not Fractal, I hasten to add) I'm thinking, "Now come on, no real amp has ever done this thing!" My listening environment is pretty finely tuned, so I'll check if this is definitely repeated when playing from file with plenty of memory available in the PC. Playing direct from a web browser is far from perfect, but I think there may also be a glitch or 2 in the MP3 compression. Compounds the issues of 55 year old ears!

Liam
I noticed the same thing, I just couldn’t articulate it in my post.

There's nothing wrong with an opinion. Check out your Youtube "Should you buy a Fractal FM9 or Line 6 Helix" video from Dec 24, 2021. At 24:53 you said "I will say that the drive pedals on the FM9 kind of stink. I will say that the drive pedals on the Helix are excellent, very good". Maybe that opinion inspired this comparison.

Back
Top Bottom