Drive for AC30 models preferences?

gdgross

Experienced
What do ya'll like as a drive to go with the AC30TB model?

I've tried a few and so far I'm leaning towards the boosts and maybe the OCD. Don't like the tube screamers too much here. Maybe because my AC30 patch is a little mid heavy and/or quacky.

I used to have a hom-built rangemaster that absolutely killed it with the Vox channel in my Egnater M4, but the treble booster model doesn't seem to have quite the same mojo in the axe. At least the way I've got things set up right now.

Just curious what you all are using.

In the real world the Crowther Hotcake seems to do the best job.

Wishlist Request for FAS: Could the Crowther Double Hotcake be a potential additional OD/distortion pedal emulation?

What do ya'll like as a drive to go with the AC30TB model?

I've tried a few and so far I'm leaning towards the boosts and maybe the OCD. Don't like the tube screamers too much here. Maybe because my AC30 patch is a little mid heavy and/or quacky.

I used to have a hom-built rangemaster that absolutely killed it with the Vox channel in my Egnater M4, but the treble booster model doesn't seem to have quite the same mojo in the axe. At least the way I've got things set up right now.

Just curious what you all are using.

AC30's handle pedals really well, so all of them really.

i quite like the tape dist. the trick (as with all of the pedals in front of the ac30) imo, is to get the right balance between level and drive

i have mine set up like this...

drive - 6.7
tone - 6.8
level - 4.5
low cut - 20
high cut - 2000
mid - 1.6
mid freq - 350

just pushes the amp a bit

I use a peq boost into the top boost model for all my drive, stack two for varying levels of drive. Works just as it should, sounds just like an ac30. Second peq boost has a very small low cut to keep it from flubbing

I've found real AC30's to be a bit picky when it comes to using drive pedals, but I guess that depends on what you're going for. I've been using either Full OD or the Lovepedal Eternity (not sure what it's called in the Axe). But I tend to like dialing in the amp for drive without pedals most often. I love what an AC30 does on it's own when wound up.

This might be worth a try.
If you guys are noticing that the AC30 is picky on drive models, pick a drive that is working well and look at page 2 on the drive parameters and see where the Low and High Cut's are set.
Select another drive type and set the Low and High like they were in the drive that was working for you. This should help you get more flavors of drive or boost for your AC30 sounds.

Goose the input trim without a drive pedal on the Voxes.

It's a little different than a drive, almost has a Klon like effect to my ears.

Reduce amp block level to compensate for the increased gain.

Good ideas guys. Haven't yet tried the tape dist. with the AC30TB, but will tonight. Mostly I've been leaning on the FullOD model, which I thought was maybe an OCD but looks like it might be a full drive I suppose. (Never owned either one in real life anyway).

Any ideas on getting something to sound like a rangemaster? I was in love with that into the vox channel in my analog days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom