Dream Theater-Take This For The Pain(Documentary)

I haven't bought it yet (nor their new CD), but have watched several of the uploaded clips from it (official and otherwise) on YT. I just don't like the modulation effect he seems to have on the entire time with his heavy tones. Also, his lead playing has gotten so stale over the last several years. It's always the same old stiff-armed, speed picked patterns/or sweep picked arpeggios played with the neck pickup over and over again (just like in the drummer audition video posted above). His technique really seemed to go down hill when he started body building. Listen to how great his playing was in this Rock Discipline instructional video. Show me any video from the last 5 years (probably even more than that) where he is playing anywhere near that level.

His playing & tone were the only real incentives for me wanting to buy the Blu-ray to begin with. They haven't put out an album I've loved in a long time (6DOIT), so the setlist consists largely of songs I don't care for. And despite what fanboys like to say with almost every new live release, I'm sorry, but James Labrie is not "Back!" :roll (he sounded "Almost Back!" on Score, but it's been all downhill since). He sounds very little like his former self, and though I know that's largely not his fault (food poisoning incident), I just can't really take his live vocals anymore. On top of that, from what I can tell from the clips I've seen from the Luna Park Blu-ray, it sounds like there is some kind of weird modulation effect on his voice at least some of the time as well (the whole sound of the band also seems overly smooth & slick, and not very "live" sounding).

Ok, rant over (all of this is of course "IMHO" :mrgreen).

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting it. :lol
I would say pick up the Blu-Ray yes James was amazing on Score but you'd be surprised he nailed every note on this Blu Ray at Luna Park,and I am not a fan boy of James I have said a lot of times where he has sounded weak but no sir not on this one.

As for Petrucci yes I am not a fan of that over the top Glossy tone in the tone but well I think the last two albums have brought back the old Petrucci in him. The solos are structured and well thought out. I suggest you get the Lossless Audio of the new Dream Theater album,my favourite is also (6DOIT) and this is the best since (6DOIT) to be very frank with you.

Petrucci has done some very nice solos on the record,the whole band sounds great. As for Live At Lunapark youtube isn't going to be the best way to hear how good this sounds. I gave it a complete listen yesterday the entire band was at the top of their game man.

So..Do you know him??

Know him enough to know that he is not an ego maniac :)

I am probably one of the biggest Dream Theater fans. Love them with Mangini as well but I have immense respect for Portnoy and what he does as well.

Anyhow you can keep your opinion sir, I am not the arguing sorts.

Peace and Rock On :)

I think Marco would have been a great edition but you can tell that Mike Mangini gels with and "Really" wanted to be in the band.
The issue with Marco was that,when they asked him if Marco has heard a lot of Dream Theater he told them he hasn't,as he wasn't much
of a fan. It would have been interesting as Marco would have brought some very interesting ideas but then again Mike Mangini is a fan of the band
and really has his heart and soul in Dream Theater and that is what they need.

I think the improv jam is really cool.

They've been basically rehashing the same shit for the past decade or so. The last somewhat original bit was "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". All you really need to hear to understand what DT is supposed to be like is "Awake". And Mangini, while he's a great drummer, seems to lack the assertiveness of Portnoy, so they dialed him down a bit in the mix compared to where Portnoy was. You can't really hear much of him on the recent two albums. I have a hunch that Minnemann would have done just fine, and he's not the kind of guy that will take shit from anybody. Then again it's their band, they have all the authority in the world to decide what it should be.

They've been basically rehashing the same shit for the past decade or so. The last somewhat original bit was "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". All you really need to hear to understand what DT is supposed to be like is "Awake". And Mangini, while he's a great drummer, seems to lack the assertiveness of Portnoy, so they dialed him down a bit in the mix compared to where Portnoy was. You can't really hear much of him on the recent two albums. I have a hunch that Minnemann would have done just fine, and he's not the kind of guy that will take shit from anybody. Then again it's their band, they have all the authority in the world to decide what it should be.

You're right about one thing Mike Mangini's mix is low on "A Dramatic Turn Of Event"S but not on "Live At Lunapark". He is very audible on that and as far as "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" is concerned that was the the pinnacle of Dream Theater's career. But to me they have always offered something interesting on every record that they have made. I think "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is a very melodic record and the new album is definitely my favourite since "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence". I don't know which version of the album you're hearing I have the lossless files and Mike Mangini's drums are quiet loud actually. I do agree that before this album Mangini's drums very low in the mix but not on this one. As far as Marco is concerned he was my choice as well,but he wasn't a fan of the band and didn't hear them much. He admitted that and they needed someone who was very passionate about what what DT do and well they found that in Mike Mangini.

The new album is a step in the right direction.

Dream Theater still make great music,it's just a matter of preference whether someone is in to that stuff or not.

I haven't bought it yet (nor their new CD), but have watched several of the uploaded clips from it (official and otherwise) on YT. I just don't like the modulation effect he seems to have on the entire time with his heavy tones. Also, his lead playing has gotten so stale over the last several years. It's always the same old stiff-armed, speed picked patterns/or sweep picked arpeggios played with the neck pickup over and over again (just like in the drummer audition video posted above). His technique really seemed to go down hill when he started body building. Listen to how great his playing was in this Rock Discipline instructional video. Show me any video from the last 5 years (probably even more than that) where he is playing anywhere near that level.

His playing & tone were the only real incentives for me wanting to buy the Blu-ray to begin with. They haven't put out an album I've loved in a long time (6DOIT), so the setlist consists largely of songs I don't care for. And despite what fanboys like to say with almost every new live release, I'm sorry, but James Labrie is not "Back!" :roll (he sounded "Almost Back!" on Score, but it's been all downhill since). He sounds very little like his former self, and though I know that's largely not his fault (food poisoning incident), I just can't really take his live vocals anymore. On top of that, from what I can tell from the clips I've seen from the Luna Park Blu-ray, it sounds like there is some kind of weird modulation effect on his voice at least some of the time as well (the whole sound of the band also seems overly smooth & slick, and not very "live" sounding).

Ok, rant over (all of this is of course "IMHO" :mrgreen).

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting it. :lol

Id somewhat agree with a lot of what you said, however 2 things, singing IS much better on new album. New album has a lot of new and unique things going on, especially if you like old Rush, and several of his leads on the new album blow me away. That being said, Hendrix was Hendrix, Ingwie is Ing. Van Halen, wow talk about stale the guy didnt progress one lick since 1977 , its pretty hard to re invent yourself / greatly change, he is unique to himself, which is amazing, he is one of the most melodic lead players ever, even with his staccato interludes. Thinking about it I dont know a more diverse style out there short of say Steve Morse doing countless styles, but I dont want Petrucci to start chicken pickin necessarily.

Mangini is incredible, but DT is missing a HUGE amount of energy MP's departure. MM's playing is solid as heck. I saw them live last year and LOVED it!!! However, I miss MP, BIG time!!! They're last two albums are starting to grow on me of late. Heck SC is just now starting to grow on me.

Anyway, Marco is an AWESOME drummer as is Virgil. However, neither, IMO would've been a good fit for DT. Mangini, IMO is the best fit of the ones they auditioned.

I just really miss MP and ALL that he brought to DT.

Now, I'll watch the video.

Mangini is incredible, but DT is missing a HUGE amount of energy MP's departure. MM's playing is solid as heck. I saw them live last year and LOVED it!!! However, I miss MP, BIG time!!! They're last two albums are starting to grow on me of late. Heck SC is just now starting to grow on me.

Anyway, Marco is an AWESOME drummer as is Virgil. However, neither, IMO would've been a good fit for DT. Mangini, IMO is the best fit of the ones they auditioned.

I just really miss MP and ALL that he brought to DT.

Now, I'll watch the video.

I agree I miss Mike Portnoy too but Mike Mangini has definitely made his place,still adjusting but the music is really good still.

I've never really been able to get into DT because of their vocals, but I am a big Petrucci fan. I have Petrucci's Suspended Animation album and (like most of us) have his Rock Discipline DVDs. I've recently heard a few of their (assuming) newer songs on Sirius/XM - Liquid Metal, and have been thinking its time I buy some of their music. Which album(s) would you guys recommend?

I've never really been able to get into DT because of their vocals, but I am a big Petrucci fan. I have Petrucci's Suspended Animation album and (like most of us) have his Rock Discipline DVDs. I've recently heard a few of their (assuming) newer songs on Sirius/XM - Liquid Metal, and have been thinking its time I buy some of their music. Which album(s) would you guys recommend?

Ok Dream Theater albums that are a must buy.

1.Awake.
2.Images And Words.
3.Scenes From A Memory.
4.Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

First get these and listen to them.

If you're a petrucci you should buy the Liquid Tension Experiment live DVDs.

Back
Top Bottom