Dream Theater-Take This For The Pain(Documentary)

He's a great drummer for sure and can do stuff that no one else probably can but I simply don't like the beats that he plays. :(

Should have hired Minnemann, IMO.

I think Marco would have been a great edition but you can tell that Mike Mangini gels with and "Really" wanted to be in the band.
The issue with Marco was that,when they asked him if Marco has heard a lot of Dream Theater he told them he hasn't,as he wasn't much
of a fan. It would have been interesting as Marco would have brought some very interesting ideas but then again Mike Mangini is a fan of the band
and really has his heart and soul in Dream Theater and that is what they need.

I think the improv jam is really cool.

You're welcome man :).

Man I prefer these tones too,to be very honest.

Yep, except for the damn constant modulation effect (probably his signature "Dreamscape" pedal) on all the time. I have a real strong dislike for any kind of modulation effects on high gain tones. Makes it sound too smooth and glossy (imho). It's really strong on the new "Live At Luna Park" Blu-ray, which is a real disappointment for me.

Still, I'd take this over the dark, bland, overly compressed tones of the last couple of albums.

Yep, except for the damn constant modulation effect (probably his signature "Dreamscape" pedal) on all the time. I have a real strong dislike for any kind of modulation effects on high gain tones. Makes it sound too smooth and glossy (imho). It's really strong on the new "Live At Luna Park" Blu-ray, which is a real disappointment for me.

Still, I'd take this over the dark, bland, overly compressed tones of the last couple of albums.

You didn't like Live At Lunapark? Man the footage is phenomenal,I had good audio results listening to it on reverse stereo. I have the deluxe edition,the band was really stellar.

Glossy tones can be cool but overkill if they are pro-longed.

You didn't like Live At Lunapark?

I haven't bought it yet (nor their new CD), but have watched several of the uploaded clips from it (official and otherwise) on YT. I just don't like the modulation effect he seems to have on the entire time with his heavy tones. Also, his lead playing has gotten so stale over the last several years. It's always the same old stiff-armed, speed picked patterns/or sweep picked arpeggios played with the neck pickup over and over again (just like in the drummer audition video posted above). His technique really seemed to go down hill when he started body building. Listen to how great his playing was in this Rock Discipline instructional video. Show me any video from the last 5 years (probably even more than that) where he is playing anywhere near that level.

His playing & tone were the only real incentives for me wanting to buy the Blu-ray to begin with. They haven't put out an album I've loved in a long time (6DOIT), so the setlist consists largely of songs I don't care for. And despite what fanboys like to say with almost every new live release, I'm sorry, but James Labrie is not "Back!" :roll (he sounded "Almost Back!" on Score, but it's been all downhill since). He sounds very little like his former self, and though I know that's largely not his fault (food poisoning incident), I just can't really take his live vocals anymore. On top of that, from what I can tell from the clips I've seen from the Luna Park Blu-ray, it sounds like there is some kind of weird modulation effect on his voice at least some of the time as well (the whole sound of the band also seems overly smooth & slick, and not very "live" sounding).

Ok, rant over (all of this is of course "IMHO" :mrgreen).

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting it. :lol

After seeing that Jam.... I thougt about their first drummer....I think he also was some kind of talented....was his Name Mike Potatoe? Or Michel Ponteroy, or.... sorry, I absof***in'lutely forgot that frog. Mangini plays in his own league.
But I don't like their new album, sorry. But this drummer is one hell of a player... ah, now I remember: his name was Nike Pommeroy....no, ah, maybe, wait a minute Miii....ke Posterboy....no.....Mink Pounderjoy???.....ok, I give up...

Back
Top Bottom