Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are commenting about my post on the FM3. The FM3 (I own one), it is a great product and its 'form factor' is more portable than the FM9. However it does seem that Fractal is down playing the FM3 a bit now which leads me to the speculation that they will be putting future efforts more into the FM9 as far as updates and the like. Has the added footswitches built in and much more processing power but still fairly portable. The good news I think is that there should be a lot of excellent condition FM3 units on the used market at very competitive prices for musicians to try out an upper class modeler and the Fractal system vs the competition.

For those who are commenting about my post on the FM3. The FM3 (I own one), it is a great product and its 'form factor' is more portable than the FM9. However it does seem that Fractal is down playing the FM3 a bit now which leads me to the speculation that they will be putting future efforts more into the FM9 as far as updates and the like. Has the added footswitches built in and much more processing power but still fairly portable. The good news I think is that there should be a lot of excellent condition FM3 units on the used market at very competitive prices for musicians to try out an upper class modeler and the Fractal system vs the competition.
I was just having some fun with my "deranged" comment. I do think you are gravely mistaken in saying the FM3 will be a legacy product in one year though as evidenced by the debates on this very forum over whether the extra size of the FM9 outweighs the extra power. Admin has already chimed in that the FM3 remains very popular.

I was just having some fun with my "deranged" comment. I do think you are gravely mistaken in saying the FM3 will be a legacy product in one year though as evidenced by the debates on this very forum over whether the extra size of the FM9 outweighs the extra power. Admin has already chimed in that the FM3 remains very popular.

We are both kind of used to these exaggerated overreactions about the state of the FM3, aren't we? :)

Last night when I was basically disagreeing with the claims that you could upgrade to a Turbo for about 6 bills, give or take, and running the numbers it's actually closer to 9, I hadn't even thought about it right away, but with la noise stringing 2 FM3's together, and people asking what others use as a backup unit, I truly feel a better use of that money would be to just buy a used FM3, which in a sense, gives you the extra DSP of a Turbo, but the best benefit of going that way, is you now have different choices for gigs, more flexibility, and now you have one of the best units available as a backup rig.

Last night when I was basically disagreeing with the claims that you could upgrade to a Turbo for about 6 bills, give or take, and running the numbers it's actually closer to 9, I hadn't even thought about it right away, but with la noise stringing 2 FM3's together, and people asking what others use as a backup unit, I truly feel a better use of that money would be to just buy a used FM3, which in a sense, gives you the extra DSP of a Turbo, but the best benefit of going that way, is you now have different choices for gigs, more flexibility, and now you have one of the best units available as a backup rig.
Interesting, hadn't thought of that, very cool though.

We are both kind of used to these exaggerated overreactions about the state of the FM3, aren't we? :)
I believe the Fractal AX8 was released in 2016 and discontinued in 2019. The FM3 was released in April 2019. Maybe not relevant but there it is. Hopefully I have exaggerated and it is just an overreacted speculation but the competition never sleeps.

I believe the Fractal AX8 was released in 2016 and discontinued in 2019. The FM3 was released in April 2019. Maybe not relevant but there it is. Hopefully I have exaggerated and it is just an overreacted speculation but the competition never sleeps.
Well, you're right about the competition never sleeping and apparently neither does Fractal. I've been very impressed with frequency of updates here. They beat the pants off of any other company I've experienced.

Now ya feelin' me. :)

I seriously assumed I would move onto the FM9, and ditch the FM3s when I received it.
After a few weeks, though, I am realizing that I just like the form factor and independence
of the dual FM3s. I also know how to run them better and am more comfortable than I am with
trying to do a dual amp setup with the FM9.

Granted, I can see eventually getting the III at some point down the road. And yeah, I am pretty sure the
3 will not have all the updates that the III and 9 have due to their more advanced processing capacity.

Right now, I am ok with that. Maybe next week not so much. :)

I agree. I have a AxeFx3 but the FM3 is the most economical way of expanding either the FM9 or AxeFx3 imo.

Now ya feelin' me. :)

I seriously assumed I would move onto the FM9, and ditch the FM3s when I received it.
After a few weeks, though, I am realizing that I just like the form factor and independence
of the dual FM3s. I also know how to run them better and am more comfortable than I am with
trying to do a dual amp setup with the FM9.

Granted, I can see eventually getting the III at some point down the road. And yeah, I am pretty sure the
3 will not have all the updates that the III and 9 have due to their more advanced processing capacity.

Right now, I am ok with that. Maybe next week not so much. :)
There ya go! It's nice to be content.

I believe the Fractal AX8 was released in 2016 and discontinued in 2019. The FM3 was released in April 2019.
But the AX8 didn't share the same codebase as the Axe Fx II, even though they are considered the same "family"... And note that the "family" (including Axe Fx II) was discontinued at the same time (and initiated in 2011, I think).

The FM3, FM9 and Axe Fx III share the same codebase.

I think once the FM9 really hits the market (as in full available supply) the FM3 used price will drop. I bought mine new in China (where I currently live) for $1690 (taxes, import fees etc), just sold it for $1250 on XianYu (China’s eBay). A few weeks ago, there were only 4 used FM3’s on there. Now? Countless…. and most are asking almost full price but can’t get rid of them (at least not yet). I did firesale pricing to get rid of mine because once the FM9 is fully supplied the used FM3 price will drop as all used products do when there’s abundant supply.

Seems to me that if you're a gigging musician using an fm3 who is now wanting an fm9, your fm3 as a back up remains a valuable asset and its perfectly placed to do it I suppose. But if like many, you're using the fm3 for home playing or studio use, those ones will go up for sale when swapped out for an fm9, so it is inevitable the used fm3 prices will drop.

However, having had a look around it seems all the fractal units still fetch a good price when compared to the competitors. I think this maybe in large part down to Fractals reputation

The only thing I see devaluing the FM3 on the used market is the number of them that have hit the used market lately. Once those sell it will be back to business as usual.

I think once the FM9 really hits the market (as in full available supply) the FM3 used price will drop. I bought mine new in China (where I currently live) for $1690 (taxes, import fees etc), just sold it for $1250 on XianYu (China’s eBay). A few weeks ago, there were only 4 used FM3’s on there. Now? Countless…. and most are asking almost full price but can’t get rid of them (at least not yet). I did firesale pricing to get rid of mine because once the FM9 is fully supplied the used FM3 price will drop as all used products do when there’s abundant supply.
As if anything that happens in China is relatable to the rest of the world.

As if anything that happens in China is relatable to the rest of the world.
I’m sure a grunt wouldn’t understand how supply and demand works…. the entire world over. Keep fighting them non-existent enemies, I’m sure it suits your kind.

I’m sure a grunt wouldn’t understand how supply and demand works…. the entire world over. Keep fighting them non-existent enemies, I’m sure it suits your kind.
Wow! Aren't you the judgmental one?!? Couple of problems with your post:

1. Is he a "grunt"? If he is, how does that impact his intellect? Odds are he's more educated than you (see below).
2. Who even brought up global supply and demand?
3. Why are you injecting politics into the forum?
4. You insinuate he is not educated or intelligent. FYI, the average US service member has greater education than the average civilian:
1636111336840.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom