Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 164 78.8%

• Total voters
My take on legacy vs. dyna, which is worth basically nothing: :tongueclosed:

Keep in mind, I'm primarily a high to medium gain player that uses the FM3 for home studio recording and practicing use only through studio monitors.

I've always felt that most of the legacy cabs were a bit bloated in the lows and low mids for my uses. Kind of muffled They have always required quite a bit of eq'ing to fit in a recorded mix well (IME, and IMO). Hence the reason I've often gravitated toward York and OH 3rd party IRs, where it's easy to find something a bit more "mix-ready" in their vast libraries.

Dyna cabs have changed all this. I can get what I want without the eq'ing and much faster than even using 3rd party IRs. I'll probably still use some of my favorite York and OH cabs, but I'm loving the Dyna cabs so far. Really hoping we get a few more offerings in the future, particularly a Marshall 412 with GT12-75 speakers and an Engl Pro cab w/V30s.

Will legacy cabs become obsolete? No way. Too many people have their favorite legacy cabs that they use all the time and more power to them.

Legacy cab of course sounds great, but the truth is from now we will only see Dyna-Cabs (I don´t think Fractal will make cabs the old way)
Fractal doesn't typically add new cabs in any case, so your comment is really only applicable to 3rd party IRs.

Since the ability to create Dyna-Cabs is much more involved than standard IRs and many IR creators create IRs for other platforms as well, I don't agree with you.

I suspect we will still see legacy IRs being created by most 3rd parties, but some (like York Audio and Dr Bonkers) will create Dyna-Cabs, too.

Part of the reason that I am a pack rat is that I like to have options. Lately, all of the patches I have built use the Dyna Cab, but I haven't gotten into a mixing session yet where I am re-amping. I'm sure there are a lot of us out there that have tones that we are happy with that we don't ever mess with once they are right.

I alternate between DynaCab and traditional IR presets in my practice sessions. I find DynaCab lets me get closer to my sound much, much faster, and helps me build an intuition for [virtual] mic placement and speakers. I also have some legacy IR presets that make me very happy to play, such as the tweaked VH4 through the legacy DZL cab in the factory cabs.

The joy of the Fractal units is the fact that the sound quality is so good it scales with both the quality of your playing and how you're monitoring it.

I still use legacy cabs. I have tried DynaCab, but for me, it is more work to get the tone I want. Granted, I don't know anything about micing cabs, but I haven't found anything that sounds better than the legacy IRs I use.

I still use legacy cabs. I have tried DynaCab, but for me, it is more work to get the tone I want. Granted, I don't know anything about micing cabs, but I haven't found anything that sounds better than the legacy IRs I use.
May not be the best advice but I also know zero about micing cabs. And not trying to sway you by any means. Just my experience so far with DynaCabs.

However, I tried a 4x12 with V30 speakers with a dynamic mic fairly close to speaker cone, minimal distance, sounded great. Cut the Lows to 95Hz. Highs to 9000hz then took a 4x12 with GB speakers and paired it with a ribbon mic, not far off speaker cone and moved it back from speaker quite a bit, cutting lows to 135 and highs to 12,000. Resulted in a pretty nice sounding DynaCab set up.
When doing this, I muted the speaker cabinet I wasn’t tweaking. Moving mic sprung until I found a tone I liked. I also didn’t mess with Amp EQ until after finding the tones I liked from both speaker cabs. Seemed to work pretty well. The sound has a solid bottom end, not to much mids and tamed the high end from being ear piercing. This has replaced my go to IR…this was also with a Brit Silver amp set up and another preset with a Revv Gen Green channel set up both with medium gain.

After setting the cabs/mics up, my “amp eq” tweaks were very minimal.

Again, this is just from what I have picked up from various videos, etc.

I feel like my main preoccupation on sample length, which of course is reduced in going to Dyna Cab, is that I think long IR samples make a pretty big difference when playing through headphones. Which is unfortunately 50%+ of my playing.

I feel like my main preoccupation on sample length, which of course is reduced in going to Dyna Cab, is that I think long IR samples make a pretty big difference when playing through headphones. Which is unfortunately 50%+ of my playing.

I agree with you since most of my playing time is on phones. This is why I’m still using my fav IR’s in Ultrares. They sound better to me than what I’ve come up with in Dynacabs. I’m happy we got it, and happy we can still use regular IR’s.

Is there something in place that we could use to delete cabs we don’t use, to make room for other Dynacabs? Sooner or later there will be more Dynacabs, maybe from vendors like York Audio etc, and the FM3 doesn’t have room for them. Being able to swap out cabs would be good.

Is there something in place that we could use to delete cabs we don’t use, to make room for other Dynacabs? Sooner or later there will be more Dynacabs, maybe from vendors like York Audio etc, and the FM3 doesn’t have room for them. Being able to swap out cabs would be good.
Who said there is no room for them?

I haven't seen that stated anywhere...

Who said there is no room for them?

I haven't seen that stated anywhere...
I could be wrong, but I thought the question about whether the FM3 would get the Dyna Cabs was more because of memory space. I admit I am not familiar with how much memory, the types and how it is all allocated on the FM3. But if the Cabs are being loaded each time the FM3 is booted then that would indicate they’re utilizing RAM as well as ROM. Just speculation here, not to be taken as gospel.

Cliff designed the technology with it being able to fit into the FM3. It’ll run on every model and version of the model in the current generation.

THAT might give us an idea how long he’s been thinking about this.
I guess I was thinking more it terms of fitting (memory space) and not running (processing). To that extent as others have mentioned is there unlimited space for more Dyna Cabs? Obviously not unlimited. These are just curiosities and not trying to be greedy or doubting the technology in some way. I certainly hope asking questions or questioning the technology for plain discussion purposes is not frowned upon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom