Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 164 78.8%

• Total voters
a longer IR length is not always best for everyone in every circumstance - Fractal has also said: "FWIW, I almost always reduce IR length on my personal presets. Usually 512 or 1024. I like the lack of reflections".

I also still think the level of difference people hear is often exaggerated in relation to other factors as with tube type discussions, tonewoods ... it's there, but it starts getting into the hair splitting zones that many can barely hear or not at all. For those that can hear it and want it as an option, then ya, I guess it's a benefit of legacy IRs not yet in dynacab

Oh I can hear the difference. But then there was the day I had a few beers and was blasting away on some preset. And I thought it sounded good, and it was a good time. Then I found I had inadvertently switched cab channels and it was on the default IR. Pignose maybe? Something like that anyway.

Oh I can hear the difference. But then there was the day I had a few beers and was blasting away on some preset. And I thought it sounded good, and it was a good time. Then I found I had inadvertently switched cab channels and it was on the default IR. Pignose maybe? Something like that anyway.
Same happened to me! woke up in a stupor beside my Axfx dialled into the Poltergeist Pig preset!

Don't knock it! :) I actually love both the Pignose and the Silvertone Factory IRs. Talk about sitting perfectly in a mix.

When using shorter IR's, just use a room sim along with any other time based FX.

This has always been superior IME to longer IR's, as you have control over the virtual recording environment vs having a small part of the recording environment baked in, as is the case with most longer IR's.

Late to the vote. I wouldn’t want the Legacy IR’s to go anywhere. I never had much of a problem finding the right IR for what I was looking for, but I definitely like the Dyna Cab option!

i believe the dynacabs were shot with a neve strip, not sure, but I think that makes a difference at least for mr.

workflow is a dream but somehow they are more “Alive” or maybe just a honeymoon effect.

Part of the problem is so many guitar players “listen with their eyes”. They see what is being used or the settings and suddenly hear a difference that in a blind test is indistinguishable. If you take a completely dry signal and switch the same IR between Standard and Ultra Res, yes there will be a small difference. As soon as you add effects, especially wet, the difference is negligible. Certainly not enough to justify excluding an effect you absolutely desire to be in the signal chain.
I agree but…
I use Ultrares on my fm3 not because it makes a huge difference if you just listen to it on a recording (live it makes absolutely no difference either) but I sacrifice some cpu for ultra res because of the feel when I play.
Ultra res feels different. A little more « alive ».

I didn’t install yet cause I’m on tour but from what I hear it’s gonna be a choice between the tones I’m used to hear with the legacy ir (I use ultra res legacy 60 and 61 on all my tones and I love them) that’s sound already absolutely awesome and the clarity that dynacabs seems to bring in the tone.

From what I hear, dynacabs seems to sound less « full » than some legacy but the clarity and the openness seems to be really great.

In the end on my side it’s gonna be a choice by feel.

here’s my main crunch tone for this year

I think it sounds great but if Dynacabs could bring me more clarity I will choose dynacabs.

i voted no....
but i gotta say selecting a Dyna IR 112 with a 1x8, with a dynamic and a ribbon, and getting a cranking metal tone by moving mics around...
not only is that insanely fun, but it makes the tone chasing so much faster....
dial up a good tone - hit record, and go
YMMV! :p

I agree but…
I use Ultrares on my fm3 not because it makes a huge difference if you just listen to it on a recording (live it makes absolutely no difference either) but I sacrifice some cpu for ultra res because of the feel when I play.

I didn’t install yet cause I’m on tour but from what I hear it’s gonna be a choice between the tones I’m used to hear with the legacy ir (I use ultra res legacy 60 and 61 on all my tones and I love them) that’s sound already absolutely awesome and the clarity that dynacabs seems to bring in the tone.

From what I hear, dynacabs seems to sound less « full » than some legacy but the clarity and the openness seems to be really great.

I think it sounds great but if Dynacabs could bring me more clarity I will choose dynacabs.

Nice! Sounds great! I do also feel they are more open. I do personally feel a little more connected to the DynaCabs as well. Just have to understand mic placement.

As an example for me personally sometimes I need a classic AC-30 sound but never loved any of the IRs. I’ve auditioned them all. I can honestly say the 2x12 Class-A sounds better than any of them. I’ve also found success with the 1960TV and for a very thick and heavy tone the combo of Recto Straight with Dynamic 1 and Recto Slant with Ribbon.

Update: I asked which IRs and you said it… trying to do too much at once. What Amp?

Last edited:
Nice! Sounds great! I do also feel they are more open. I do personally feel a little more connected to the DynaCabs as well. Just have to understand mic placement.

As an example for me personally sometimes I need a classic AC-30 sound but never loved any of the IRs. I’ve auditioned them all. I can honestly say the 2x12 Class-A sounds better than any of them. I’ve also found success with the 1960TV and for a very thick and heavy tone the combo of Recto Straight with Dynamic 1 and Recto Slant with Ribbon.

Update: I asked which IRs and you said it… trying to do too much at once. What Amp?
Heavily tweaked Friedman HBE v1.
I wanted to have an in between plexi HBE

There will always be a place for both. Dyna Cabs are new so who knows what we will get moving forward. For now I want to be able to mix a dyna cab with an IR. Why? Because I like the sound of a mic in the back of an open cab and right now you cannot do that with the Dyna Cab. I want a 1x12 celestion alnico creamback in an open cab on a Princeton amp and right now you cannot do that. I like adding a room mic sometimes and right now you cannot do that (sure you can approximate it but I have a few IRs that are perfect). I like to play around with acoustic IRs and right now you cannot do that. I love the feel of the Dyna Cabs and I will build new presets with them, but so far they have not been able to replace any of my current permanent presets. Curious about whether anyone on the III has been mixing Dyna Caps with IR's since you can use more than one Cab Block.

Heavily tweaked Friedman HBE v1.
I wanted to have an in between plexi HBE

I thought it sounded like Marshall or similar. When you say heavily tweaked I assume you modified the Power and/or Preamp settings (tubes, bias, etc).

When you use DynaCabs the order of the cabs in the slot will matter if you leave auto impedance on (if you are using a GB impedance or a V30 impedance).

I thought it sounded like Marshall or similar. When you say heavily tweaked I assume you modified the Power and/or Preamp settings (tubes, bias, etc).

When you use DynaCabs the order of the cabs in the slot will matter if you leave auto impedance on (if you are using a GB impedance or a V30 impedance).
Mainly tweaked the tonestack to plexi, the amp low cuts, the cab page in amp section too. I used the greenback sic, turned it to about 145% to get some « wood », speaker compression etc.
I also use a preamp in the cab section.
I wanted to get a tone like an amp really pushed, angry full and about to explode lol.

There’s also a lot of pitch controllers that change gain and eq as I go higher on the neck.

Can’t acces my fm3 right now and I have to still make some more tweaks but I will post the preset in the forum. :)

Legacy cab of course sounds great, but the truth is from now we will only see Dyna-Cabs (I don´t think Fractal will make cabs the old way)

I agree but…

That is one of the main things I got from them. Being able to blend them without phase issues is also HUGE. I still use a couple Legacy IRs because those items aren't dyna-cabed, so they still have value. Especially cabs or mics that aren't dyna-cabed yet.

Arent these guys raving about Dyna Cabs the same guys back in the days raving about the new pedals was THE SHIT for their tone, and never changed their cabinets even once? :D :D :D :D

Arent these guys raving about Dyna Cabs the same guys back in the days raving about the new pedals was THE SHIT for their tone, and never changed their cabinets even once? :D :D :D :D
Yeah, but the guys not wanting to use Dyna-Cabs are the same guys yelling at the clouds and telling kids to get off their lawn.....laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom