Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 57 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 202 78.0%

• Total voters
I remember seeing that they were new captures with the robo-mic and a better mic pre, or something to that effect....
Better mic pre, sure, but the DynaMount robo capture tooling and concept isn't new.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of Fractal's embrace of it, but that's not some magic secret sauce.

I’m curious about how Dynacab on the FM3 compares to the big dog, the Axe. Huge difference or not? I know plenty of people on this group own both.

Better mic pre, sure, but the DynaMount robo capture tooling and concept isn't new.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of Fractal's embrace of it, but that's not some magic secret sauce.
Didn't say the robo-mic setup was new, just that these were new captures through a different mic pre. For DynaCabs, the robo-mic thing actually is an ingredient in the secret sauce, tho, as it allows the small, precise intervals of placement that make the dials for distance from center and distance from grille cloth work smooooooovely....

I think a lot of users just want to pick a great sounding IR from a custom mix instead of sit down and move the virtual mics around until they come across their ideal tone…

I see so many people who want turn key presets, or that don’t want any advanced parameters. Dynacabs are basically like your back to moving your own mics around, selecting type of mic etc. I know some people want that, but surely not all users are going to go through the effort and maybe don’t even understand the way of working with real mics.
What you’ve touched on here is significant.

That Dynacabs have put the legacy IR people in the same boat as the “hide the advanced parameters” people.
Which is hilarious.

No, not currently. I prefer UltraRes with oversized cabs. Currently Dynacabs aren't running with that UltraRes fullness, and there are no oversized Dynacabs.

What you’ve touched on here is significant.

That Dynacabs have put the legacy IR people in the same boat as the “hide the advanced parameters” people.
Which is hilarious.

I’m not a ‘hide the advanced parameters people’. Dyna so far doesn’t sound as good as my favorite IR’s, and I can run those in Ultrares. Dynacab is a amazing addition to the tools we already have. I’ll use whatever sounds best to me every time. Pretty lame assumption on your part.

Like with power tube differences, I'm amazed people hear pronounced differences between 1024 and Max rez cabs - I hear no difference between 1024/Max on Ultrares cabs I've tested (nor do I even see much difference in various meters). I know my ears are not good but I also don't think they are that bad either. Guess that's why I'm quite satisfied with my cabs/dynacabs at 512 or even 256 in some cases. I really don't believe there is a significant difference in many instances (I'd bet a lot of the pronounced differences some hear is due to custom selected ICs in legacy vs a very different auto-assigned IC in dynacab tho it's hard to compare since afaik, we don't have an instance where the same cab is captured using both the legacy and dynacab processes).

Last edited:
Damn….seeing a lot of the replies here is really surprising…….seems the Dyna-Cabs aren’t the big hit I thought they were.

I sure like em……shrug.gif

Damn….seeing a lot of the replies here is really surprising…….seems the Dyna-Cabs aren’t the big hit I thought they were.

I sure like em……View attachment 122873
I think people are just happy with their tones it’s like a comfortable shoes , especially if you are gigging a lot
Dyna cabs do take work as well , they are not instant gratification if you have no previous experience micing up a guitar cab and blending multi mic
I will say watching Marco Fanton latest vid I could tell a huge difference when he switched to the Dyna I thought yep that’s a 57 on a cab

I was only ever using imported IR's and now I'll be using imported IR's + Dynacabs, stoked on them and havent touched legacy in years.

I sure like em……

It's too new. Give it some time. Most people don't buy a Fractal product to constantly update all their presets whenever a new feature is released, once they have something dialed in there's no reason to touch it.

Like with power tube differences, I'm amazed people hear pronounced differences between 1024 and Max rez cabs - I hear no difference between 1024/Max on Ultrares cabs I've tested (nor do I even see much difference in various meters). I know my ears are not good but I also don't think they are that bad either. Guess that's why I'm quite satisfied with my cabs/dynacabs at 512 or even 256 in some cases. I really don't believe there is a significant difference in many instances (I'd bet a lot of the pronounced differences some hear is due to custom selected ICs in legacy vs a very different auto-assigned IC in dynacab tho it's hard to compare since afaik, we don't have an instance where the same cab is captured using both the legacy and dynacab processes).

I can hear the difference and my hearing is pretty bad. Mostly through phones though. Not so much through speakers. And certainly not in a mix.

The difference is really noticeable to me in the lows. The UltraRes just has more low end fullness and depth.

If this vote is intended to support a claim "Fractal should ditch Legacy Cabs and Factory IRs to allow more memory to Dyna-Cab", I disagree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom