Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 58 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 203 77.8%

• Total voters
Using the new hotness exclusively.

Impatiently awaiting its arrival on FM9 and aftermarket Dynacabs to add to the collection.

I loved MIKKO when I got it - fantastic interface - but the cab selection leaned towards cabs for metal and there was only one mysterious "Fender Combo". DynaCab's interface is less pretty and showy, but has 100% of what is needed to get the job done and you know what you're getting (once you work out the 'secret' code names)....

I'd say the silly myth is that there is only one right cab for each specific amp model (amp heads often don't even get sold with a cab and / or don't have any specific restriction on "correct" matching cab)
...except no one's actually ever said there's only one right cab for each amp model.

While "there is no right cab" has been said here a lot.

There is no way Old school IRs are going anywhere. I still use them and love them on many of my patches, as im sure MANY big bands are just fine using them with their patches already dialed in.

Dyna cabs came out just as I was in the middle of a massive preset update, so I did what any good Fractal fanboi would do, I went back to the beginning and started over! As I go through my presets again, I am taking the opportunity to replace/update IR's. Most, if not all, have custom blended IRs derived from a pretty formidable collection of the usual suspects.

So far, I am running at about a 50-60% replacement rate, meaning that I am still keeping almost half of my legacy IR's, because I like them better than anything I could come up with in Dynacabs.

Love the concept and implementation of of Dynacabs, but they are not an absolute. For someone that usually knows exactly what cab, speaker and mic's combination I want for a particular preset, they are not always faster, either.

I will say this, a good chunk of the cabs in Dynacabs are absolutely stunning.

I think it's important to note that Dyna Cab is really a UI used to select Old School IRs that (as of now) were shot by Fractal.
But when auto-IC assignment (exclusive to dynacab) is considered, dynacab becomes potentially much more powerful than legacy method.

But when auto-IC assignment (exclusive to dynacab) is considered, dynacab becomes potentially much more powerful than legacy method.

Kinda? It's one extra step to select the correct curve, I think calling it much more powerful is a bit of a stretch.

I think a lot of users just want to pick a great sounding IR from a custom mix instead of sit down and move the virtual mics around until they come across their ideal tone…

I see so many people who want turn key presets, or that don’t want any advanced parameters. Dynacabs are basically like your back to moving your own mics around, selecting type of mic etc. I know some people want that, but surely not all users are going to go through the effort and maybe don’t even understand the way of working with real mics.

Kinda? It's one extra step to select the correct curve, I think calling it much more powerful is a bit of a stretch.
Not at all a stretch imo - because it's not just an extra step to find an accurate IC for a given IR selection. The best we have with legacy is an approximation via selection from a list of a few dozen IC curves. With dynacab, the IC assigned is the correct measured SIC for the specific dynacab selected (as mentioned here by Fractal ("All Dyna-Cabs have corresponding impedance curves that were taken from the actual cabs.")). This is not even possible in legacy mode unless the IR makers manually relay specific cab SIC measurements for us to input directly on the amp/speaker page - few if any IR makers have seemed very willing / able to do the measuring and relay those values with cab packs being sold or for any of the stock IRs contributed to Axfx - Dynacab therefore offers a big leap in accuracy (I say "big leap" because even my crappy ears can hear huge differences in tone with even smaller variations of the parameters that make up the curve presented on the amp speaker page (either the SIC values from the cab component, or transformer related values from the reacting amp component - changes to speaker page curve can significantly impact the tonal result of whatever cab IR is being used and/or the tonal result of whatever real guitar cab one might connect without using cab modelling). Dynacab=Much more powerful.

Last edited:
I think a lot of users just want to pick a great sounding IR from a custom mix instead of sit down and move the virtual mics around until they come across their ideal tone…

I see so many people who want turn key presets, or that don’t want any advanced parameters. Dynacabs are basically like your back to moving your own mics around, selecting type of mic etc. I know some people want that, but surely not all users are going to go through the effort and maybe don’t even understand the way of working with real mics.
Of course, now you can create a custom mix in the box and share it for free.

I always hated the way IR packs were put together.

Bloated, non-standard naming, unnecessarily opaque descriptions, tedious to audition...terrible!

as mentioned here by Fractal ("All Dyna-Cabs have corresponding impedance curves that were taken from the actual cabs

That's cool. Of course again, accuracy and what sounds good don't always equate. To be clear, I'm very happy for the update but to me personally it's more of a work flow thing. My go to preset sounds a specific way because that's the way I want it to sound. Trying to rework it at this point to sound the same but using the Dyna Cab feature wouldn't be a great use of my time.

accuracy and what sounds good don't always equate.
Totally agree - I never equate those two, but accuracy is still of key importance because its why Fractal models sound more like their reference points with minimal tweaking effort compared to other platforms - now, more than ever, a user has confidence that a sound (good or bad) they know well irl of a certain amp connected to a certain mic'd cab will be replicated pretty accurately (within amp/cab instance tolerances) by Fractal model / dynacab representations of the same amp/cab. This is why I'm excited about the possibility of 3rd party IR makers being able to use the dynacab framework.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom