Do you stand up to edit your presets?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I do, or rather I did with my Helix. I wanted to hear them through my FRFRs (on stands) like I would at a gig or a jam.

If you do, how do you have things set up physically, so you can edit, on the unit (my preference for everyday) or on the computer, while you're standing up?

When I asked a kind of similar question earlier, someone suggested putting the Axe in a rack or rack bag on a tilt-back amp stand, but those mostly aren't tall enough, and there's no place for a computer/keyboard. I also don't get the impression that's what most people do.

I've passed the end of my trial period with the III, I'm keeping it, very psyched, but now it's time to resolve some of this logistical stuff and get comfortable.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of right now is something like a Quiklok keyboard stand and the AF3 in a road case on that stand, angled up at you.

Performance page per preset and global have made it so much easier. I keep gain, BMT, level and a few other key parameters on global perf page and then preset specific stuff like delay mix, decay, drive gain, etc in preset pages. Tweaking on the fly is much easier now. I don’t need to bring a laptop anymore.

I only use my Axe-FX III at home and I always have it hooked up to my laptop for USB control via Axe-Edit III. I don't use it as my audio interface though. It's hooked up to my Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt via two XLR cables.

I play sitting down about 95% of the time these day’s and I’d say I’m sitting down 100% of the time when editing....

Maybe for a big encore in Madison square music room I’ll stand up lol

Performance page per preset and global have made it so much easier. I keep gain, BMT, level and a few other key parameters on global perf page and then preset specific stuff like delay mix, decay, drive gain, etc in preset pages. Tweaking on the fly is much easier now. I don’t need to bring a laptop anymore.
Understood, I'm coming from Helix, where I actually prefer the on-unit UI to the computer editor, but my question still stands (dumb pun) :)

Do you stand up, and if so, how do you arrange things physically so the Axe is at a comfortable height and angle to work with it?

If you use one of these ergonomic height adjustable workstations you can alternate between sitting and standing. That is the best for the body

stand-up-desk-gray-gray_4.jpg

http://weedkipedia.info/electric-adjustable-height-desk/

Last edited:
Understood, I'm coming from Helix, where I actually prefer the on-unit UI to the computer editor, but my question still stands (dumb pun) :)

Do you stand up, and if so, how do you arrange things physically so the Axe is at a comfortable height and angle to work with it?

I've got the AXE III in an amp head type case (with a power amp) sitting on top of another studio rack which is on a desk so that the AXE is at a comfortable viewing and access height. It's about 5 feet up for this specific purpose. I don't like sitting and tweaking.

Last edited:

Ah yes. I do stand up. I typically use a 2x12 cab for bar/small rooms and set my rack case with Ax inside on top. If I’m on a larger stage going direct and using a monitor I bring an amp stand that works well to hold rack case and set it up next to me on my right side. Works well. Very easy to see and get to. I keep the preset performance page up so I can just reach down and tweak as needed. The only other thing I tweak occasionally is the global EQ in Out 1 or 2. That’s easy to get to on the fly if needed. Cheers.

Anyone ever try doing a hand stand while editing their presets? Yeah, me neither.

I stand on one leg.

If I'm not knocked over, it's not loud enough......if I teeter to the left or right, I adjust panning.....too much verb, I bend my knee to get closer to the floor...too much distortion, I put a thick rubber sole on....if it's too glassy, I won't throw any stones.

I always get the perfect tone...oh, and a f#*king sore leg :cool:

Last edited:
At gigs I hear myself through a powered wedge in front of me. When I'm editing presets at home, I'm sitting at my desk (with Axe-Edit on the computer) with the wedge on the floor pointed at me and my AFX on a desk-high stand next to it. I figure I'm only about 18 to 24 inches closer to the monitor than I would be at a gig, and that's close enough for me. It's still only an estimate, because I'm not hearing the rest of the band in the mix anyway.

Why not SPDIF to the Apogee?

I run different sample rates. Most of the stuff I record/mix/master is done in 24bit/96kHz. Also, the DI signals of all guitar/bass recordings are tracked with the Apogee before I hit the Axe-FX III. This way I can record a higher quality DI in case I want to reamp with a tube amp. The converters on the Apogee are of very high quality and the latency is very short. The Reamping I/O of the Apogee does not apply AD/DA conversion, so it's only the signal coming out of the Axe-FX III that's getting converted again on the way into the Apogee. If I know for sure that I want to use the Axe-FX III I can always convert the project to 24bit/48kHz and reamp via USB with the DI signals that I have. So far there hasn't been a situation where I felt I needed to do so.

As you can probably noticed from what I wrote above, the Axe-FX III isn't my only source of tones. I have some of my gear hooked up permanently, such as mics on a guitar cab, my Darkglass B7K and a vocal mic. The Reamping I/O on the Apogee allows me to switch between Axe-FX III and my go-to tube amp by simply swapping one cable. Both cables are always on my desk. My setup is made like this for convenience. So far it works nicely :)

Why not use Axe-Edit on a laptop or tablet PC and just put it on a music stand or something near where you are standing?

Back
Top Bottom