Do you hear what I hear...here?

MetalGarret

Inspired
https://soundcloud.com/soleparadigm/tone-test-6

Gear:
Axe-Fx 2>computer via USB.
M-Audio BX5a monitors

Ok. I've been messing with the axe 2 for about a year now almost. I've gotten some great sounds out of it. But I still hear this little fuzz at the top thats been bothering me. (I've talked a bit about it before I think in another thread) It kinda feels like the drive is too hot but I turned it down and I still heard it. I did a few tests with different cabs and EQ settings and a bunch of other shit. This clip I have here is where I did the least amount of tinkering on. Gate>Comp>Drive>Amp>PEQ>Cab. Nothing insane. I didn't hear or feel it while recording but then I heard it in playback. That static-like quality that I just couldnt seem to eq out. It's like a 60-cycle-hum monster that's wearing a 5k hat is wrapping itself all around my tone. I compared it to John Petrucci's stem track ( Dream Theater - On The Backs Of Angels - Guitar Stem - YouTube ) and I didn't hear this sort of thing in his tone.

Then, I bounced a short test demo of doubled guitars with the tone and played it on my logitech z506 sound system on my computer. It vanished. Or it was shoved to the backseat to be faintly heard. Now I understand that the two speaker setups will sound dramatically different. But this makes me feel like I'm crazy and obsessing over something that just isn't there. Can any of you hear it? How does it sound to you?

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I used two different guitars with different pickups. The first half is being played on an Ibanez RG with stock pickups and the second is a Dean Phantom MI with Dimarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pickups.

EDIT 2: Disregard last edit. I didnt compare guitars in this clip.

Last edited:
Take an eq, set it to highpass, and drag it up slowly until you can focus in on the sound you dont like. Then try to eliminate it. Otherwise it sounds okay to me.

So I'm crazy...

Not necessarily. On my Yamaha HS50ms that clips sounds very thin/harsh with that ugly fuzz on the top you mentioned. When I switch over to my reasonably high end computer speakers the clip sounds deep and ballsy and while the fuzz is definitely still there it's much quieter and much more complimentary to the tone.

This really tells us two things. Computer speakers are voiced to make everything sound bigger and better, and that cheap 5" monitors sound like cheap 5" monitors.

It sounds fine here, but I can't listen on studio monitors at the moment.

Go to the cab block, go to page 2, and turn down the "Hicut Freq" until it is pleasing to your ears... See if that helps.

Some people like the high end, some don't... We all hear differently...

Hope this helps !

i'll take a break and see if i wanna do that. But I'm liking what I've got. I could add more presence maybe. But i aint gonna do any drastic changes.

Check where the 'Air' parameter in the Cab block is set. Anything above zero lets through a percentage of the pre cab signal (ie amp without cab or bypassed cab sound). It's effect is most noticeable in the high end and may account for what you're hearing.

CAB (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I think it sounds fine, (the first clip), Try putting it in the context of a track I'll bet you will like what you hear.

sounds ok to me...
you need to hear it in context..
and when you do I reckon you may find it's actually a little dark
and may need a little tiny push on the highs around the 3k to 5k area to add a little edge, energy and definition..
you do need an amount of high end fizz...
the principle thing is that it's not harsh, intrusive or 'kazoo' like - which your tone is not

being over critical with tones heard in isolation can be a bit misleading

I recommend that you use Siltech Emperor Double Crown Cables for the audio signal, and ANJOU Speaker Cable. That will surely make the fuzz disappear.

A set of good quality Audio Isolation Spikes to support every single piece of the equipment (axe-FX, amplifiers, speakers, pedals...) would also help a lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom