Do you guys ever "start over?"

I kinda do both. My main gigging patches rarely get touched except to make minor adjustments as needed for FW updates or just taste... but then when I'm in my studio I often dial up a random patch #, or a random amp, and see where that takes me.

Would someone be so very kind and post a guide how to reset the axe fx II and get things started again?
Never done that since fw 7 .. and I think it might be a good idea to reset the system, but been afraid that I
may screw something up :)

Just a step by step list would be very helpful :)

for example .. do I need to reinstall the firmware version after reset ?
do I use the latest backup after the reset, or will that just cancel out the reset ? (so to speak)
is there some setting that I need to reset that maybe was done at the factory ?

Does it delete all the user presets, and IR's ?

well those are the kind of questions that prohibited me from trying to reset the machine .. :)
I've read the manual from cover to cover but it is some time ago now, so I would apreciate
someone that knows how to do it listing it :)

sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread ..

thanks ladies and gents
have a good one

The Axe-Fx is very quick and easy to use once you know how it works. When creating a really good sound takes a few minutes it's way better to start over rather than sticking to a preset that you've been tweaking for months/years. IMO at least. I'm mainly worried about people trying out IR's with a patch that's been tweaked to compensate for the faults in other IR's.

Do what Cliff does. 1) Default settings 2) Find IR 3) Tweak.

But are you doing this in band context or a recording context?

Also, while I agree with you in some respects, how is the "tweaking for months/years" any different than what we've always done with "traditional" guitar rigs? That is how one goes about achieving a "signature" sound, IMO. I have a sound that I like... my ears naturally pull me there.

I have probably 20 presets that I have developed over the 2 and a half years I have been using the Axe Fx and although they all use different amps, to a casual listener they all sound very similar... but the nuance is what makes them distinct to me. Different feel, slightly different tones... and that is "my sound".

On your point on the IR selection, it feels sort of like a catch-22 to me - I know there is an IR I really like, and it seems to be good enough for everything I have used it for. On the other hand, I sometimes may dismiss a certain amp model because I don't care for what it sounds like. Is that the amp or the IR? Hard to know... and my time is limited, so I can't audition "1000 IRs" (to paraphrase Cliff). I need to use something that I know works. Again, going back to the traditional rig, I did not have 1000 speaker cabs, or even 5. I had what I had and made it work for me. And there is the whole "analysis paralysis" thing... I probably own a couple thousand non-factory IRs and I have only bought a few cab packs. I can't imagine guys that own them all :eek:

Obviously this is a new paradigm, and I encourage everyone to do what works for them... I see a benefit in working from known state, but I also appreciate the ability to do something completely ad-hoc if I need to.

And by the way, thanks for contributing to my analysis paralysis!

Kevin

Would someone be so very kind and post a guide how to reset the axe fx II and get things started again?
Never done that since fw 7 .. and I think it might be a good idea to reset the system, but been afraid that I
may screw something up :)

Just a step by step list would be very helpful :)

for example .. do I need to reinstall the firmware version after reset ?
do I use the latest backup after the reset, or will that just cancel out the reset ? (so to speak)
is there some setting that I need to reset that maybe was done at the factory ?

Does it delete all the user presets, and IR's ?

well those are the kind of questions that prohibited me from trying to reset the machine .. :)
I've read the manual from cover to cover but it is some time ago now, so I would apreciate
someone that knows how to do it listing it :)

sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread ..

thanks ladies and gents
have a good one

This would help me out as well. It's good to get everyone's input. I am feeling better about scrapping my settings and starting over!!

I do seem to keep a number of old presets...if nothing else, to see what the 'old' sounds are like compared to the new ones. New is generally better, and I seem to tweak less (or at least more efficiently) than in the beginning. Every day is an adventure

Have any of you done that? I assume there is a way to default the axe. Plus I want to upgrade to Quantum. Could this be the perfect time? I'm curious if you guys ever ditch your presets to force you to start from scratch.

Good info on here already. My approach is similar to everyone else that I have a set of presets that I basically rebuild especially when moving from non-Quantum to Quantum. It's a.... Quantum .... leap if you will with a little bit different flavoring on the amps/drives/cab responses. Rebuild the presets, don't try to preserve older stuff as I have rarely had good experiences when moving between firmwares. Axe-Edit is an incredibly helpful tool for this.

Hashtag #My2Cents

Do it all the time. When you are confident that you can get a useable tone any time you like without much effort, it frees you up to experiment with wild and wacky.

I'm going through this right now. My eyes were way too big when I first got my XL, tried to do too much too fast and didn't take the time to learn the basics. So much magic in this box, and more is added all the time!

I kinda do both. My main gigging patches rarely get touched except to make minor adjustments as needed for FW updates or just taste... but then when I'm in my studio I often dial up a random patch #, or a random amp, and see where that takes me.

About what i do...

I tend to evolve my core patches over time, changing IRs, adding/changing effects, building around the amp foundation. This thread makes me think I should probably go back to basics with amp models, though.

Lately have been doing a lot with expression pedals to improve live performance dynamics by controlling multiple factors concurrently -- for example, I use one pedal to improve the "cut" of my lead tones while I'm playing- moving the pedal changes the shape of the EQ (more highs), adds a couple dB to the signal, and mixes in a bit more delay, all simultaneously. It enables me to tailor my sound based on what the rhythm section is doing at any given moment, which I've found useful.

Yep. The AxeFx is so good now, you really don't have to understand what the hell you're doing other than pick an amp, put a cab block behind and go to town. Nothing else is needed for great tone, but obviously there's a lot more you could do.
^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

While I'm new to the Axe-Fx ii XL+ (& brand new to Fractal), I'm pretty much shocked at how easy it is to dial in great tones. Every day I learn a little more & the Axe-Edit makes it even faster too.

I'll assume that this is all due to Cliffs constant work & updates over the years. My only regret about the Axe-Fx, is not coming over to Camp Fractal sooner! At least I'm hear now!

I plan on creating all new presets now that I have a deeper understanding of this unit & how to work it.

Peace! X

PS - I came here for the Ax8 & stayed for the Axe-Fx2! :eek::D

Last edited:
I start over from scratch for specific sounds plus re-tweak the preset of that sound then compare them to the original but most important for me is how it sounds in a live recording of the band.

Back
Top Bottom