Do you guys ever "start over?"

firmani99

Inspired
I purchased my Axe FX in July and have a bunch of patches saved. Most of them were me just screwing around and learning. Now that I am starting to really get the hang of it I wonder if I should just start from scratch?

Have any of you done that? I assume there is a way to default the axe. Plus I want to upgrade to Quantum. Could this be the perfect time? I'm curious if you guys ever ditch your presets to force you to start from scratch.

Yes, I have done this multiple times. Exactly as you described. I get to know the unit better and create better and better presets. The cool thing is you can save some of your better ones and fall back if you decide you don't like the new ones. Also, with so many presets you can usually have more slots to redo.

I start over all the time! I don't even save most of the patches I create, apart from ones i am using to record projects with. I have a folder on my pc with the first fifteen I created and a few tone matches which never see the light of day. What can I say... I just really love the process of dialling them in lol

The more you redo something the better you get at it. It's all about repetition. I have probably redone a preset at least a dozen times. You get better at it, nothing wrong with that.

I've done this periodically, especially since the f/w changes have been so significant and improved. You can save off your current presets and come back to them later if you wish. Then, load up Quantum and just start creating.

I do it every time I turn it on. For me it's more desirable to shape the tone for what I want to hear at the moment.

Yeah I have to agree with the majority opinion here. It is trial and error, so I often scrub patches, but I make a copy to be stored elsewhere or make notes of set ups and settings that I kind of like the sound of. Anyhow, it's a load of fun re-doing and revisiting / tweaking stuff and the guys above are for sure correct, you do get a much better intuitive feel for this unit the more you mess about with it. That's been my experience anyhow.

Yep. The AxeFx is so good now, you really don't have to understand what the hell you're doing other than pick an amp, put a cab block behind and go to town. Nothing else is needed for great tone, but obviously there's a lot more you could do.

I start over with every firmware update.

But, I have my go to settings for reverb, delay, auto wah, etc. that I repeat.

I have found it's less hassle for me to system reset and rebuild my presets.

I guess I'm the odd man out...I only change patches when I feel the need. I might have to make some new ones just to see if it's an improvement.

I start over every time I turn my Axe-Fx on. I honestly do.
This! And from the front panel! No kidding. In a year and a half I've saved only a dozen presets, half of which I don't need anymore, a couple that I really, really like and one Main Live preset, that's it!
Usually (almost daily!) I start from scratch on a preset with looper block and when I'm done playing, satisfied, I scratch everything and do something else next time!

Nope...

Although recently I revamped my approach to my preset "template", so in a sense I did.

For me, I can dial I'm decent sounds fairly easily, but for use with a band I need a certain level of consistency.

I start over every day. I randomly pick an amp first. Set everything to defaults. Then I go through 1000+ IRs until I find one that works well (I stick with cabs that are "compatible", IOW when I was testing the new 6505+ model today I stuck with 4x12s. I ended up using a Recto) . Then I change the cab block to stereo and find a complementary IR from the same cab. Then I go back to the amp block and dial it in. In a few minutes I'll have something I like and then I play.

It's good to start from scratch once in a while. I usually will start with a basic sound that I'm going for, then save it in a new slot every time I tweak it (just in case I jack something up or want to use a backup to a/b my progression.) After every major update I'll use what I've learned and start over to see if I have overthought everything. Sometimes simplicity is key.

The Axe-Fx is very quick and easy to use once you know how it works. When creating a really good sound takes a few minutes it's way better to start over rather than sticking to a preset that you've been tweaking for months/years. IMO at least. I'm mainly worried about people trying out IR's with a patch that's been tweaked to compensate for the faults in other IR's.

Do what Cliff does. 1) Default settings 2) Find IR 3) Tweak.

I start over every day. I randomly pick an amp first. Set everything to defaults. Then I go through 1000+ IRs until I find one that works well (I stick with cabs that are "compatible", IOW when I was testing the new 6505+ model today I stuck with 4x12s. I ended up using a Recto) . Then I change the cab block to stereo and find a complementary IR from the same cab. Then I go back to the amp block and dial it in. In a few minutes I'll have something I like and then I play.

Hey Cliff, what do you look for in a complimentary IR when you switch to stereo?
Are you leaving the cab block panning at default or hard panning them for stereo FRFR?

I know, use your ears and if it sounds good it is good and all that, but I haven't much experience with stereo cabs.

Thank you for everything! Loving Q1.03.

Back
Top Bottom