Do we really need channels and scene controllers?

SimonDreyer

Inspired
Just an idea, if each scene had it's own set of parameters for every device in the chain then we could get rid of the channels and scene controllers completely. I find it really tedious having these multiple layers of control where I have to not only copy scenes around but also channels. We already have perfectly good options for copying scenes. It would be soooo much simpler to just flick between scenes and just edit whatever parameter I wanted without having to worry about channels. Am I missing something?

Just an idea, if each scene had it's own set of parameters for every device in the chain then we could get rid of the channels and scene controllers completely. I find it really tedious having these multiple layers of control where I have to not only copy scenes around but also channels. We already have perfectly good options for copying scenes. It would be soooo much simpler to just flick between scenes and just edit whatever parameter I wanted without having to worry about channels. Am I missing somethinI personally like the flexibility, I take the time front to set it up using two of a specific block ”if needed”, giving me 8 versions that can be applied to 8 different scenes.
I personally like the flexibility. I take the time to set things up the way I want. Sometimes I use two of the same block for 8 specific sets of an effect or amp, each set for its own scene.

Channels allow you to change into an entirely different model. 2 amp blocks allow you to have 8 completely separate amp models with their own settings and you cam freely combine any of the 4 from block 1 with any of the 4 from block 2. The same goes for any block with channels.

Think about it this way: do you really need more completely separate block settings in a single preset than is possible right now? One chorus block gives you 4 entirely different settings, for example.

Just an idea, if each scene had it's own set of parameters for every device in the chain then we could get rid of the channels and scene controllers completely. I find it really tedious having these multiple layers of control where I have to not only copy scenes around but also channels. We already have perfectly good options for copying scenes. It would be soooo much simpler to just flick between scenes and just edit whatever parameter I wanted without having to worry about channels. Am I missing something?
Are you coming from Helix by any chance? I was, and it uses the idea of separate settings for each parameter for each scene, like you're suggesting. At first I thought channels were both limiting and confusing, but I soon came to really like them.

Say you come up with really great amp or delay settings in one scene, and you want to reuse them in another scene. Without channels, you'd have to manually copy all those settings, and on Fractal there are a lot more of them than on Helix. With channels you just choose the same channel again, done.

How would you set different types of amps, or drives, or delays, or any other effect in different scenes without channels?

How would you save these specific settings (channels) to be used in other presets?

Locked in 3, 2, 1
I don't know why this would be locked. I'm sure there are many (new) users who can learn something from this thread. Maybe they never thought of channels this way? Maybe they came from Helix or a blatant Helix rip-off (COUGHqcCOUGH) and miss scene assignments and didn't realize what can be achieved with channels? Maybe there will constructive discussion around the topic?

Also, if all you want is to adjust amp gain per scene, then yes, channels are a bit overkill and scene controllers are clunky.

Using round numbers, of course...I'm pretty sure implementation would break upwards of 97 million presets.

I use them all the time, mainly to go from a "Fendery" or "Voxy" clean to a Marshall / 5150 / etc. crunch. Add the ability to change delay types, effects, etc., and they're a very powerful tool to make live performances a lot easier. Take these capabilities away and you may as well get a Pod.

I don't know why this would be locked. I'm sure there are many (new) users who can learn something from this thread. Maybe they never thought of channels this way? Maybe they came from Helix or a blatant Helix rip-off (COUGHqcCOUGH) and miss scene assignments and didn't realize what can be achieved with channels? Maybe there will constructive discussion around the topic?
Guess how many people will ask if they read the manual though.

Hi @SimonDreyer There is merit in your curiousity and you present a creative alternate scenario, but to answer your question in brief... Yes, we "really need" those features today for at least two reasons: 1) People change channels WITHIN a Scene using, e.g., a footswitch; and 2) It's essential to allow sound changes both horizontally and vertically in the scene/channel matrix. If there were eight channels for eight scenes, things would be different, but there aren't.

Last edited:
We need more actually.

Back
Top Bottom