Do many people use Carvin guitars with their Fractals?

I've got my first ever Carvin guitar on order right now...

It's a ST300, 5 piece maple neck, with flame maple fretboard, neck thru into all maple body with a maple top.
With a Seymour Duncan Jason Becker perpetual burn pickup in the bridge...

Has anyone else played a similar Carvin, neck thru/all maple guitar through a Fractal Axe Fx???

Good tone results or bad? What are your experiences?

Just wondering what to expect.

Owned (and own) many Carvins - guitars and basses.

I would add that they sound wonderful through a variety of rigs because they're good instruments. So sure, it'll sound nice through an Axe Fx (and a Gorilla practice amp, and a Marshall stack . . .).

Great guitars. Exceptional playability. Good company. Worst resale value ever, so make sure you like it. ;)

Been using my DC400 (and Bolt) with my various Fractal units since day 1 - about 6 (?) yrs now...
Wonderful versatility..

A friend of mine got a custom Carvin/Kiesel neck thru last year and it felt and sounded really great. You should probably expect to love it.

Cool, I'm glad to hear that! I've got about $1,900 invested in this Carvin, ordered it 4 weeks ago, it should be in my hands in about 5 more weeks, and I did some opt 50 custom stuff so it's non refundable... so I'm glad to hear Carvin is sounding good through Fractal gear

Keep in mind I've found that like any good amp, the Fractal will expose or accentuate the bad and good of any guitar. The good news is that there are so many tweaking options that you can compensate easily. Remember when you would have one amp, and when you changed guitars and had to change your EQ settings? Or hit a pedal to get it where you wanted? Now you can boost a Single coil guitar, or tame a hot humbucker with a specific patch.

My point is that if the guitar sounds good, the amp will reflect that. There is no 'The Fractal LIKES <some specific guitar>'.

Honestly, sold the 2 custom carvins I bought. Loved the fit finish etc. but could NEVER get them to sound good; just being totally honest. Tried 2 dc400?s or 700s, etc. tried different pickups; NOt sure what the issue was, call me crazy, I have Many other electrics that sound great, just something in the wood combinations I guess.

Like a few other users here, I have several Carvin instruments. I own a few guitars and a few basses. Like any fine instrument you may have to dial in the "sweet spot" on the FX. I hope you are as happy with your new Carvin as I am with mine. The comment about resale value was spot on, but if you plan to keep the instrument, then probably not a big deal.

An owner of a DC727 here. I've changed the pickups, cause the stock ones where ceramic C22 which sounded a bit cold and sterile and I've bypassed the active plate, I never liked that piece of the circuitry although I've ordered it myself with the guitar. Now I have Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell alnico pups built in, fully passive.

So I may even compare two kinds of settings of a Carvin guitar combined with an Axe FX 2. Before: the clean sounds where very good and the gain sounds where OK but kind of compressed and fizzy. I tried my Axe FX in the meanwhile with my old Gibson SG and had to say that this old 6-stringer sounded much heavier than my 7-string Carvin. I looked up in internet for modern alnico pickups and ended up soon with the mentioned above. After: I don't know, I didn't play that many guitars in my life but it sounded huge. The cleans are warm and their sound is so versatile, especially when switching bridge/neck. My idea was just one guitar for every style of music, cause I'm to lazy to handle more than one instrument. With it and the Axe FX, I squeeze every possible sound out from Jazz, Ambiental, Funk, Reggae over Rock to Metal (old school to prog). I mean the sound, not the skills. :)

Let me resume, I don't know what tones are you after and how big are the differences between Carvin models but if I can judge by my instrument, if you have the right pickups, it should sound great. The most important thing was never the brand or the model, it was always how does it feel in your hands and under your fingers and how much do you enjoy to play it. If that's all right for you, you can swap the pups if needed, that's all.

Axe FX with the Q2 firmware can make any guitar sound good.

I recently traded for a newer Kiesel SCB6 (mostly standard options) with the Lithium pickups, and it sounds pretty good. I would say tight, focused, and clear. I can tune the top string down to like a low G or something, and it is still just as tight and clear. It does sound good, but it is definitely not a huge or chunky sounding guitar. It is more razor sharp rather than fat and chunky.

The guitar plays great though. So much so, that I plan on ordering me a DC600 sometime. I am loving the feel of it. The neck does not get as wide as other brands as it gets close to the body. I do think I will replace the pickups with Duncans though if I get another, just to try to get some fat chunk into the tone.

I have used my active DC200 and my passive CT6 with equally good results. They're great guitars, and the Axe Fx will make any good guitar sound as it should. Carvin has been making great guitars for a long time, so I bet yours will not disappoint.

I just picked up the GH24 from Carvin and I just can't get over the tone out of the neck pickup running with the FX8. Had no idea these carvin guitars sounded this great.

I just picked up a DC 127 from a seller on Reverb. https://reverb.com/item/1698778-carvin-dc127-1988-white-w-hardshell-case

Does anyone know how to determine what options the guitar shipped with (wood etc)? Or even how the seller could claim it is a 1988?

I'm looking forward to it regardless. I was kind of surprised my offer was accepted - I thought I'd lowballed them a little. These things really don't resell well! That's what's kept me from ordering from scratch.

You'll definitely love it! I'm still a noob with the AFX, but have found you can make it sound as good (or bad) as you want with ANY guitar. Kiesel/Carvins are killer guitars to begin with, so you're already starting with a premium brush. AFX provides the paint & canvas.

I have a koa DC145 (which Carvin has since "absorbed" into the DC127 line as an HSH option). I'm happy with the pickups (S22B/S60A/S22J).

I also have a koa Carvin CL450 (classical), which I hope to test with the AFX once I get some decent FRFR speakers.

I've been playing Carvins almost exclusively since 1994. I'm glad they now offer thinner neck profiles like my original 1994 DC127 (which is still my main guitar). I only wish they offered a flatter radius.

I've been playing Carvins almost exclusively since 1994. I'm glad they now offer thinner neck profiles like my original 1994 DC127 (which is still my main guitar). I only wish they offered a flatter radius.
You can order up to 20" radius. Thats almost flat!

Well, the guitar arrived, and just like the V220 I had, the finish is stellar. It is a got damn beautiful guitar.

However, the feel is off. Maybe I need time to get the setup where I want it.

I have five other electrics: an '88 MIJ Charvel, a '93 Ibanez RG 770, a '03 Les Paul Classic, a '07 RG 550 reissue, and a '10 American Standard Strat.

If you put a gun to my head right now, I'd sell the Carvin.

Back
Top Bottom