Do I need to reset my Axe??

Quick explanation of my setup. I plug directly into my axe. Output 1 XLR L&R go to monitors and FOH with cab sims on. Then output 2 L&R (sans cab sims) are sent out to a Matrix G1600. Then finally output A is sent to a Mesa Rectifier 4x12. Output B to a Mesa Lonestar 2x12. All my live patches use 2 amps, panned hard L&R to send each amp separately to the different cabinets. I think that's the skinny of it.

I use 3 basic patches with all amps saved as global amps. High gain, crunch, and a pristine clean. From there I've created about 25 odd patches based off of those main tones.

My issue is the level of my clean patches have significantly and mysteriously dropped much lower then the levels of my high gain and crunch patches. My FOH has claimed not to be experiencing this issue. So it may just be what's routed to output 2. A quick look at the patches amp & cab levels don't reveal any change as to what I started the tour with.

Is my next course of action to reset the axe and reinstall firmware and patches??

Thanks in advance for any help with the issue.

So onstage—where you're hearing the problem—you're listening through monitors, a 4x12. amd a 2x12. Is that right?

Yeah, mostly through my onstage Mesa cabs, I have a preference to hear my cabs over the stage monitors.
My first thought is that, with that combination of speakers, the sound you get could vary a lot if you move around at all. Sounds complicated to me, but if it works for you, that's what counts.

You've got your amps panned hard. If you've got a clean amp in one side and a dirty amp on the other side, your clean-vs.-dirty levels will depend on how far you've turned up each channel, and how efficient your cabs are relative to each other.

My first thought is that, with that combination of speakers, the sound you get could vary a lot if you move around at all. Sounds complicated to me, but if it works for you, that's what counts.

You've got your amps panned hard. If you've got a clean amp in one side and a dirty amp on the other side, your clean-vs.-dirty levels will depend on how far you've turned up each channel, and how efficient your cabs are relative to each other.

I did a simple reset yesterday before sound check. And it seemed to help the issue significantly.

But a new issue reared it's head mid set last nigh. One instance the axe randomly changed to patch 001 (which is unused by me, and still a factory preset). But was quickly remedied by tapping on my ground control to select the correct patch. The next instance, a few songs later. On my main high gain patch... It sounded as though all my blocks were on bypass, no sound through my cabs, but a screaming loud d.i. plain/dry guitar was slamming the monitors and FOH. Very odd.

I think a full factory reset, reloading the firmware and a backup of my patches is in order.

I did a simple reset yesterday before sound check. And it seemed to help the issue significantly.

But a new issue reared it's head mid set last nigh. One instance the axe randomly changed to patch 001 (which is unused by me, and still a factory preset). But was quickly remedied by tapping on my ground control to select the correct patch. The next instance, a few songs later. On my main high gain patch... It sounded as though all my blocks were on bypass, no sound through my cabs, but a screaming loud d.i. plain/dry guitar was slamming the monitors and FOH. Very odd.

I think a full factory reset, reloading the firmware and a backup of my patches is in order.

At that point, cut your loses and do the full reset, reinstall thing. Fuck, that sucks though :( Good luck with it! Let us know if it continues after the whole reinstall.

Are you leaving axe edit running while your playing? I have been having a few issues with patch change latency lately but only when I am hooked up to axe edit. Its probably just be a buffer thing so that axe edit and the hardware "talk" nicely. What FW are you running?

At that point, cut your loses and do the full reset, reinstall thing. Fuck, that sucks though :( Good luck with it! Let us know if it continues after the whole reinstall.

Are you leaving axe edit running while your playing? I have been having a few issues with patch change latency lately but only when I am hooked up to axe edit. Its probably just be a buffer thing so that axe edit and the hardware "talk" nicely. What FW are you running?

Thanks! Let's cross a few fingers for sure!

No, I only connect axe edit when I'm making redundant changes to a dozen or more patches.
But I have noticed that same latency when changing presets.

I'm running the latest and greatest FW.

If you take the GCP out of the equation (pull the midi cable out of the Axe) do you still get the same probs (faulty GCP)?

Tried a different Midi cable between GCP and Axe?

Tried using the Voodoo wall wart power supply direct to the GCP and using just a std midi cable rather than a 7 pin cable + power from Axe to GCP?

Does the Axe/rack sit on top of a speaker cab when you play (vibrations)?

Could the stage power supply have been a bit flaky the night your Axe suddenly went clean?

What CPU % do the presets use?

If you take the GCP out of the equation (pull the midi cable out of the Axe) do you still get the same probs (faulty GCP)?

Tried a different Midi cable between GCP and Axe?

Tried using the Voodoo wall wart power supply direct to the GCP and using just a std midi cable rather than a 7 pin cable + power from Axe to GCP?

Does the Axe/rack sit on top of a speaker cab when you play (vibrations)?

Could the stage power supply have been a bit flaky the night your Axe suddenly went clean?

What CPU % do the presets use?

I haven't tried anything between the Axe and GCP. But that's a good place to consider trouble shooting if the problem persists after a reinstall of the firmware and my user patches.

The axe is in a 6 space shock mounted rack that usually lives behind my cabs (it makes no contact with either the cabs or the floor).

And the power (according to my furman), last was at a solid and consistent 120.

There weren't any hiccups during soundcheck today. Cross your fingers all is well during my set.

Last edited:
Oh and most of my presets sit around 75% CPU

In all my patches I use 2 amps into a stereo cab block. Plus a drive, delay, phaser, chorus, and reverb blocks are always included in front of the amp blocks. So my GCP can act like a pedalboard with the instant access switches.

I haven't tried anything between the Axe and GCP. But that's a good place to consider trouble shooting if the problem persists after a reinstall of the firmware and my user patches.

The axe is in a 6 space shock mounted rack that usually lives behind my cabs (it makes no contact with either the cabs or the floor).

And the power (according to my furman), last was at a solid and consistent 120.

There weren't any hiccups during soundcheck today. Cross your fingers all is well during my set.

I used a GCP for a long time - I had issues with the midi connector on the GCP and ended up replacing the Midi Out port. I definitely had some bizarre behavior while that was going bad with patch switching and continuous controller glitches. It was completely sporadic and some nights no issues and others I was ready to toss everything out the window. Took awhile to narrow it down - tried new, high dollar cables, resetting the Axe (back in the Ultra dayz), new power supply for the GCP, powering via phantom and at the board itself. Finally I was able to recreate the issue by wiggling the midi cable back and forth at the GCP - just a certain way. Replaced the midi out connector and no issues after that.

Not saying that's your issue, but you need to take the GCP out of the equation (as previously suggested) as a first step, see if the issue returns then introduce it again - sucks when it's not initially duplicatable...

I used a GCP for a long time - I had issues with the midi connector on the GCP and ended up replacing the Midi Out port. I definitely had some bizarre behavior while that was going bad with patch switching and continuous controller glitches. It was completely sporadic and some nights no issues and others I was ready to toss everything out the window. Took awhile to narrow it down - tried new, high dollar cables, resetting the Axe (back in the Ultra dayz), new power supply for the GCP, powering via phantom and at the board itself. Finally I was able to recreate the issue by wiggling the midi cable back and forth at the GCP - just a certain way. Replaced the midi out connector and no issues after that.

Not saying that's your issue, but you need to take the GCP out of the equation (as previously suggested) as a first step, see if the issue returns then introduce it again - sucks when it's not initially duplicatable...

I'm glad to have that feedback from a previous GCP user. That would have been my last guess as a possible issue.

Did you end up moving to the MFC?

Last nights show went on without a hiccup.
I have a sneaking suspicion the issue caused the other night may have been from connecting Axe-edit, editing almost all my patches, disconnecting and never restarting my axe before showtime.

Back
Top Bottom