dizzy ch3- what the heck happened to it?

cgraci

Inspired
It used to be my go to amp but then when i think firmware 15 came around it went to poop. Ive been hoping for it to go back with every firmware change but nothing happened. Anyone?
:(

- [fw15b] I've noticed this weirdness going on with the Diezel as well. Only when engaging the saturation. Bug? > Cliff, 5/2014: Don't turn on the saturation. Those amps don't have saturation circuits. Putting one in there can make things sound weird. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/86410-axe-fx-ii-firmware-15-00-public-beta-6.html

- Rotti, 6/2014: A couple things from a former VH4 user (real & modeled): (1) as far as the PA section goes, it is in its most basic sense a perfected JCM800, but that's only half the battle. I've read where the sat switch is basically a Jose mod… if that's true, I expected a slightly different result than what we hear now with the VH4, although I can't imagine it being much better. (2) the real deal has 'slap me stupid' high levels of compression, esp. on ch.4. (3) the gain structure doesn't (er, shouldn't, at least in real world models) get highly saturated like a 5150 / II / III does without the presence turned up at least above half way. It hits harder than most, but the low end never flubs out, even with gain at max UNTIL you touch the depth knob. That sucker needs to be at <1 or you'll get muddy quick. (4) it's not a 5150 - open up the master vol a little to let her breathe. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...nced-there-something-awry-dizzy-models-2.html

ah yes I saw that before. I'm hoping someone might get tired of people complaining and fractal might bring it back.

Herbie and dizzy vh died after fw13? I loved em now barely use. Guess I really liked when sat switch worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Version 15 the model was changed to a "Blue Face" VH4. I captured the schematic by tracing the circuit. It was a very time-consuming endeavor. Previously the model based on the Silver Face version.

We could always have separate Blue and Silver versions if the demand is there.

For me it was when v15 came that the Diezel came alive and has become my main amp now so I hope it doesn't change.

For me it was when v15 came that the Diezel came alive and has become my main amp now so I hope it doesn't change.

I like the Blue Face version better that's why I changed it. If there is enough demand for the Sliver Face version I can add that as a new model.

I think part of the issue is people think the VH4 is a metal amp which it most definitely is not. It's a mid-gain amp. If you try to use it for detuned death-metal it won't sound good because that's not its intended usage.

Seems like a fair compromise for everyone. Dizzy V4 Blue and Dizzy V4 Silver :)

I would think that in cases like this amp where you currently have 3 amps,

DIZZY V4 Blue 2
DIZZY V4 Blue 3
DIZZY V4 Blue 4

adding silver means 6 total slots

DIZZY V4 Silver 2
DIZZY V4 Silver 3
DIZZY V4 Silver 4

Would it be possible to add an A,B,C,D channel switch into the amp block so in the cases like Dizzy, Recto, Bogners etc to toggle between them. Seems like it would simulate more of the amp visually. then you just Select Dizzy V4 Blue or Dizzy V4 Silver and then on the basic tab, A,B,C switches between the three channels. Just a thought to narrow this to two Amp slots instead of 6.

I like the Blue Face version better that's why I changed it. If there is enough demand for the Sliver Face version I can add that as a new model.

I think part of the issue is people think the VH4 is a metal amp which it most definitely is not. It's a mid-gain amp. If you try to use it for detuned death-metal it won't sound good because that's not its intended usage.

Didn't know that. I haven't tried them for a while. I REALLY like the change.

I happen to know why diezel stopped producing the blueface "version". I was told in confidence, so I won't tell the whole story, but basically they just ran out of blue color for the amp's optics. Source: Peter Stapfer! They always continue working on their amps and cabinets changing stuff, so there actually is no blueface and silverface version of the VH4. All you can say is, that the blueface versions are older than the silverface versions. But they are different, no doubt!

So I of course vote for the two versions of the VH4, would be great!

edit: If you want a VH4 version for metal, just use the Herbert. That's what he's for. Different voicing etc especially for metal.

Seems like a fair compromise for everyone. Dizzy V4 Blue and Dizzy V4 Silver :)

I would think that in cases like this amp where you currently have 3 amps,

DIZZY V4 Blue 2
DIZZY V4 Blue 3
DIZZY V4 Blue 4

adding silver means 6 total slots

DIZZY V4 Silver 2
DIZZY V4 Silver 3
DIZZY V4 Silver 4

Would it be possible to add an A,B,C,D channel switch into the amp block so in the cases like Dizzy, Recto, Bogners etc to toggle between them. Seems like it would simulate more of the amp visually. then you just Select Dizzy V4 Blue or Dizzy V4 Silver and then on the basic tab, A,B,C switches between the three channels. Just a thought to narrow this to two Amp slots instead of 6.

i bet something like that would require heavy changes to how things are coded and recalled. it may also confuse users, as they can't find an amp model on the amp select page, they now have to find the desired channel on some other page. huge paradigm shift i think.

perhaps there isn't an issue with having 6 amp "slots" used versus only 2?

i didn't know the diezel changed from silver to blue. i owned a silver vh4. the blue is more "coveted" yes? but same here, since 15, now i'm using the Diezel as my main heavy distortion and it suddenly works well!

tool uses the vh4, but they really don't have a "heavy metal" guitar sound, i think. it's more marshall-y to me, which is what the diezel feels like. of course, i put 6L6's in my real diezel when i had it and it felt more metal :)

oh man... am i turning into a marshall lover vs boogie?!!!! what's happening?!

Last edited:
In Version 15 the model was changed to a "Blue Face" VH4. I captured the schematic by tracing the circuit. It was a very time-consuming endeavor. Previously the model based on the Silver Face version.

We could always have separate Blue and Silver versions if the demand is there.

both please; yep Im the metal man, but it was heavy as hell before. :)

Back
Top Bottom