DIY Fret Leveling & crowning

Heating the frets before pulling them helps. Pretty much required if the frets are glued in. Stew Mac sells thin metal chip guards that you slide under the fret crown as you work the fret up as well. Some amount of chip out is pretty much inevitable. If you are careful though, you can usually glue the chips back down.

Fretwork is easy with the right tools. The hardest part for me is not damaging the fretboard when removing frets.
I've found using small flush end cutters, resisting the urge to use the cutters as leverage to pry the fret out and slowly squeezing the cutters prevents most of the tearout. I also work back and forth across the fret, lifting it out over a couple of passes.

Masking tape, and lots of it.
Masking tape isn't going to prevent tearout when pulling the old frets. It will definitely help keep the pieces so they can be glued in though.

I'm super-careful when removing the frets, and use all the Stew Mac goodies. But after 3 or 4 refrets.....

Fret and fingerboard work is tricky. To get good at it, you have to fuckitup a few times. So start on necks you’re not too worried about.

The basic principles are simple enough, but the real artistry lies in being able to foresee disaster so you can prevent it. There are a dozen things that can go wrong. And once you’ve removed material, you can’t put it back

And remember: not everyone who has a video on YouTube actually knows what he’s doing.

Last edited:
Fret and fingerboard work is tricky. To get good at it, you have to fuckitup a few times. So start on necks you’re not too worried about...

Back in the late '70s (a few years after I got out of high school), I was teaching at a guitar and drum shop, and when I had gaps in my schedule I hung out with the guy who did all the repair work. I learned a fair amount just watching him, but didn't get any hands-on experience. Then one day the repair guy had a falling out with the owner, and he quit on the spot. Suddenly, I was named as the repair guy. Although I'd watched him dress and re-crown a lot of frets, I'd never done it myself. A few days later my first fret dressing job came in, and it was a mid-'60s black Les Paul Custom. I sweat bullets over that job, but it ended up coming out nice. I've since dressed the frets on hundreds of guitars, and don't recall any that left the bench playing badly. (There have been some that took longer than others due to my own mistakes, but I've never completely hosed one.) That said, I've only dressed frets, but never replaced any.

Has anybody started doing their own fret work? I've been considering buying a fret leveling beam as it doesn't seem all that hard to do and the more I do it I'm sure the better you get. Until now I've had my local shop do it....
There are so many hackers out there, I did not trust anyone who was close-by and reasonable. The pros with a good name are too expensive and too long to wait. I bought and made a few tools and re-fretted my Gibson SG Custom (ebony board). Anyone with some manual dexterity and good vision can do it. I made my own sanding beam using a cheap level. I first got a good Stewmac straight edge and took it to the home improvement store. Most levels are truly flat. I did the same when looking for files. The best work is the use of under string levelers. My action can be as low as 0.020" at the 12th fret using these. Definitely practice on a cheap yard sale neck. You learn a lot without messing up your nice guitar.

There are so many hackers out there,
True. Many on YouTube, also.

Anyone with some manual dexterity and good vision can do it.
Manual dexterity and good vision. And patience. And a thoughtful approach. And good measuring tools.

I made my own sanding beam using a cheap level. I first got a good Stewmac straight edge and took it to the home improvement store. Most levels are truly flat.
Most levels are not truly flat. They don’t have to be, because they’re being held against wooden construction members that aren’t truly flat, either. You can’t judge flatness without a truly flat reference and a set of feeler gauges that go down to .001”.

The best work is the use of under string levelers.
Sorry. Not following you here.

Definitely practice on a cheap yard sale neck. You learn a lot without messing up your nice guitar.
+1.

True. Many on YouTube, also.

Manual dexterity and good vision. And patience. And a thoughtful approach. And good measuring tools.

Most levels are not truly flat. They don’t have to be, because they’re being held against wooden construction members that aren’t truly flat, either. You can’t judge flatness without a truly flat reference and a set of feeler gauges that go down to .001”.

Sorry. Not following you here.

+1.
To find a flat level, you must take a good straight edge with you. Yes, manual dexterity patience, good judgement, all that brain stuff. The under string leveler - look up the Katana system. The Katana is a bit expensive and I don't like it having its own truss rod - I prefer dead straight leveling. But they make a smaller version that is a straight beam that will also slip under the strings, which are tuned to pitch. It does about half the fret board. Someone else makes a full length one. I forgot the mfr. I have both and they really work. You can do some work and immediately check it for results. Now this is for the guy who wants ultra low action. If you're happy with 1/16th at the 12th fret, any method will do. I just spot leveled my new Chinese PRS. A PRS typically is perfect from the factory. Three of mine are, the Chinese one needed some work. It now has about 0.030" action.

Maybe I'm dense... But how are you using a flat sanding block with a radiused fretboard?

Sand LENGTHWISE - along the fretboard, and change the angle of the sanding beam as you move across the board. Do NOT make the mistake of sanding ACROSS the fretboard unless it's to tweak an individual fret. I use the big heavy steel beam from StewMac and have been doing my own setup work for decades. Also, get the action, truss rod, and bridge/nut heights right first, making sure the neck is straight, before sanding it with a straight-edged beam or block.

When using the sanding beam or bar lengthwise, I ALWAYS put a finger across just in front of the nut, or else the end of the bar can knock the nut off the neck completely, usually breaking it in the process.

StewMac is a great resource not only for tools, but also for instructional videos from Dan Erlewhine and the team. Not sure I agree with trying to save money on buying tools off eBay and the like - you have no idea where they originate or their quality. I always keep in mind my dad's advise about buying good tools vs cheap tools: "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". You're still saving money by doing the work yourself - get good tools that will last you a lifetime and just pay for them once.

my 2 cents..

refretting... you have to have a good puller, a soldering iron, and a caul. I'd def mount the caul in a vise grip.

fretting... in my humble o the one tool you have to buy decent is a crowning file.

the fret ends can be done with any small file.

I have a nice leveling beam but over time I've bought a number of decent hardware levels and use those as well. generally for under $40 they have a machined edge and accuracy of 0.0005" per inch. I like to have multiple grits glued to them so I can easily go from 220 to 600 pretty quick.

I use a laminate file to do the 45 degree edge by hand.

You are going to want a dremel and polish bit to polish them.

Your first few tries are probably going to be so-so... so def don't start on something super expensive.
the good news is you can usually do it a few times on the sm frets and get it right... and if not you'll have another opportunity to refret.

highly recommend you join a lutherie forum and share you progress as you'll find lots of tutorials and friends to offer help.

hope something there was useful.

Maybe I'm dense... But how are you using a flat sanding block with a radiused fretboard?
admittedly this used to perplex me and I always used a radius block to level... then came the day I had to level a compound radius fretboard and the whole idea suddenly made a lot more sense! admittedly you have to be careful and learn to do it evenly... using 'the force' hehe. no really.

...get the action, truss rod, and bridge/nut heights right first, making sure the neck is straight, before sanding it with a straight-edged beam or block
TBH, bridge and nut height are irrelevant to fret leveling. In fact, there's no way to know what the correct bridge or nut height will be until you're done removing metal.

When using the sanding beam or bar lengthwise, I ALWAYS put a finger across just in front of the nut, or else the end of the bar can knock the nut off the neck completely, usually breaking it in the process.
Definitely take care not to slam into the nut. Often a few thicknesses of masking type are all you need.

Not sure I agree with trying to save money on buying tools off eBay and the like - you have no idea where they originate or their quality. I always keep in mind my dad's advise about buying good tools vs cheap tools: "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".
It's true that cheap tools can be a regrettable purchase. It's also true that sometimes StewMac will take a generally-available tool, call it a luther's tool, and put a steep upcharge on it.

fretting... in my humble o the one tool you have to buy decent is a crowning file.
A good crowning file is nice, but it's instructive to have crowned a few frets by hand the traditional way, using just a triangular file.

the fret ends can be done with any small file.
Yes, but you'll want a small file with safe sides to do the more fiddly work (fret corners, edges of the bevels, etc.).

I have a nice leveling beam but over time I've bought a number of decent hardware levels and use those as well. generally for under $40 they have a machined edge and accuracy of 0.0005" per inch.
You're not going to find an accurate straight edge for $40. A claimed accuracy of 0.0005" per inch works out to almost 0.01" over the 18-inch length required to measure a fingerboard. When you have a target relief of under .005", you can see that this level of accuracy won't get you there.

I use a laminate file to do the 45 degree edge by hand.
45° is too much bevel. You're giving up valuable fret length.

You are going to want a dremel and polish bit to polish them.
They're damned handy, and you'll love the results, but you can get by without one.

Your first few tries are probably going to be so-so... so def don't start on something super expensive.
100% correct. When someone tells you that fret jobs are a breeze, they're forgetting the mistakes they made when they were learning...or they've never recognized those mistakes. :)

Remember: You can't replace metal that you've already filed off. ;) Proceed with care. But know that you can learn how to do this.

A good crowning file is nice, but it's instructive to have crowned a few frets by hand the traditional way, using just a triangular file.
that's how they did it back before there were crowning files... but I'm gonna have to pass on that experience. way too much work.

Yes, but you'll want a small file with safe sides to do the more fiddly work (fret corners, edges of the bevels, etc.).
admittedly, when I do fret jobs... it's on a guitar I built so it's a bit different as one can always sand out a scratch easily. that said, I've refretted a few finished guitars using diamond files, tape and an aluminum protector to keep from touching the fretboard/binding. has worked fine for me but admittedly you have to be careful and it probably takes more time that way. I could easily run a groove through a board and glue in a file... just haven't bothered.

You're not going to find an accurate straight edge for $40. A claimed accuracy of 0.0005" per inch works out to almost 0.01" over the 18-inch length required to measure a fingerboard. When you have a target relief of under .005", you can see that this level of accuracy won't get you there.
there is that much variance in the sandpaper one might use esp the lower grits. further variance introduced when you polish the frets. so my point is... I use levels so that I can run thru lower grits quickly - not sure if that came across in my post. it's really only the last passes that have to be super accurate.

45° is too much bevel. You're giving up valuable fret length.
I honestly don't even know what angle I do... because I do it by hand. probably closer to 67.5, I don't know. my only point was you don't need a special tool to do that, and you might be better off w/o one. at least that has been my experience.

They're damned handy, and you'll love the results, but you can get by without one.
like anything else... you can do almost anything with almost any tools. My first guitar builds I did almost entirely with a router and jig saw. I still use a router for 90% of what I do. Have a planer - never use it. don't even own a table saw nor a jointer.
have polished frets w/o a dremel (even tho I had one - doh!)... but once you've used a dremel you probably won't polish by hand.

100% correct. When someone tells you that fret jobs are a breeze, they're forgetting the mistakes they made when they were learning...or they've never recognized those mistakes. :)
fret jobs are a breeze... it's your first few fret jobs that aren't. that said, I wouldn't do one for $300. Once you've done a few your whole perspective on what folks charge for them changes.

Remember: You can't replace metal that you've already filed off. ;) Proceed with care. But know that you can learn how to do this.
true, but fretwire is like $20 and if you mess up... just another opportunity to learn something... as long as you aren't working on a vintage strat.

I have found straight edges for $40.00 that were less than .005 over 4 feet! You just have to test a bunch of them against something that is known to be straight.

I wouldnt say fret jobs are a breeze but when I was 16 I did a compound radius fret dress on my guitar and got the action down as low as anyone would ever want it. Different people have different levels of mechanical aptitude and skill but if you go slow and think about what you do before you do it you can get great results on your first try.

Its super easy. Crowning file and a leveling beam with the sticky back sanding paper is all I use. Put your neck in a jig (I made one that uses the guitar neck bolts to hold it in place and I use a block of wood to support the neck in the middle, level the neck using the truss adjustment (this needs to be done on the fretboard, not the tops of frets), tape between every fret to cover the fretboard, attach sandpaper tape to leveling beam, black sharpie the tops of frets, sand until all sharpie is gone from the tops of every fret, black sharpie again on tops of frets, use crown file to radius frets until a thin black line remains on top middle of fret, sand with fine paper to remove any crowning marks, buff with orbital sander and metal polish, done. Takes me about an hour to hour and a half to do it perfect. Watch a couple youtube video's and take your time.

Back
Top Bottom