Distortion question

Yes, but you're still using an amp. It would be almost impossible to get a good tone with the FX8 without an amp.

But, why would you not use an amp with the FX8 when it's specifically designed to be used with an amp? Why would you expect good results using it "off label"? o_O

But, why would you not use an amp with the FX8 when it's specifically designed to be used with an amp? Why would you expect good results using it "off label"? o_O

Seriously? I never suggested using the FX8 without an amp. If you read the whole thread, it appears the OP was under the impression that the FX8 had some form of modeling capability.

Seriously? I never suggested using the FX8 without an amp. If you read the whole thread, it appears the OP was under the impression that the FX8 had some form of modeling capability.

Yes, seriously. I don't know how you got that out of the thread or OP. Sounds like he was just trying out the drive block and didn't like it. There was no mention that he was NOT using his amp, or aspiring to get by without it. Did you think he was trying to hook it up direct to his PA or computer instead of an amp? He never mentioned that. It seemed to me he was trying to get amp tone (as good as his Boogie, but wanted to get tones more like Steve Vai, etc. for variety (a common purpose)) out the drive block. I and others were just suggesting he shouldn't give up. I don't see how you thought the OP was trying to use it without an amp. He never said that. Or maybe I missed something. Hence my confusion about your comment...

I don't know how you got that out of the thread or OP. Sounds like he was just trying out the drive block and didn't like it.
I got the same impression Sonofiam did. Looking back through the thread, others got the same impression, too. From the OP:

I really want to get close to the boogie mk2 c warm distortion I guess I must be doin something wrong can somebody help.

I have a Mesa boogie original mark2 c+

When Chris asked whether any other distortion pedal sounded good to him, the OP responded:

Never have really tried one...

He's got a Boogie, so he's already got the Boogie distortion. The FX8 won't take that away. And while he says he's shooting for Boogie Mk II C+ distortion, he also says:

I love the boogie distortion , but thought that the fractal would give another distortion option...

The OP's posts don't add up to anything clear, and he hasn't answered the questions about what he's got hooked to what. And he hasn't been back in the better part of a week. So who knows? His questions don't jibe with any of the possibilities. Maybe he'll come back and clarify.

Thanks for going through the logic Rex, I appreciate it. Given the vagueness of "another distortion option", there's a lot of room for interpretation. I assumed that, regardless of his lack of experience with pedals, he understands the capabilities/purpose of the FX8 (since he bought it, instead of the AX8 or Axe-Fx) but was simply disappointed with it's performance. I thought he was hoping the "pedals" in the drive block will get him "optional" distortion tones he's looking for (on par with his Boogie or whatever). I didn't assume the OP was looking for amp simulation, like Kisslorand did. Because I've been trying to get "amp-in-a-box" pedal tones out of my FX8 in lieu of amp sim, I was probably biased toward assuming the OP was in a similar pursuit. If my assumptions are faulty, leading me to read different things between the lines, then Sonofiam's point clearly isn't moot (sorry about that), and Rex had an uncanny predilection that I would be the one to not to get it (which wouldn't be the first time)! ;) Would be nice to hear from the OP to clear it up. Isn't linguistics fascinating? ;)

...also an attempt to clone the bogner blue/red pedals (into clean amp), not quite there though.
the four drives (2x X/Y) in this preset do stack nice (scene 4/8)
I finally got around to checking this out. Really nice job! I dig the other effects in there too, particularly the phaser, delay, and reverb.

im using mark V : 25, for me the soul of the distort sound itself are coming from the amp it self ( channel2),the drive block (usually ts808 ) only to tight the sound up, but if you want distorted sound on channel 1 , its depend on ourself taste, ive often use fuzz, Rat, Ruckus or anything else idlike ,

Dunno if I am telling something new or helpful here, this is just my experience since I´ve been searching for THE tone for me personnally. I use an AC30 with an effects loop and spent tons of hours to get good patches and a good basic clean and distorted tone with my different guitars. And I almost commited suicide in the rehearsal room during my search.

My summary, as simple as it now sounds after weeks of desperation is simply this:

Things got complicated for me when I started to use a distorted tone directly from my amp (high gain, lower master) and tried to combine it with the drive models from the fx8. I needed much more tweaking and trying and never was 100% satisfied. Now, as I use the Topboost Channel of the AC30 most of the time I keep the sound of the amp always quite clean or right at the border BEFORE it begins to get too gainy or chimy - if I want to use the dive models from the fx8. I use almost all the drive models in a 50%-70% Mix, this works perfectly good for me, especially with the vintage drives.

I also plan to include a Lehle splitter and try that with my two Topboost Channels: One Channel clean and with the drives from the fx8 and a second "Channel" (there are no real changeable Channels in the AC30, just 4 different inputs) where I use the Gain from the the Amp. With the effects loop I can use the post effects from the fx8 with both splitter ways, which makes the effects loop so precious for me..

These were not my last words concerning tone but that´s my way so far and it feels and sounds right for me at the moment. An AC30 is not a High Gain Amp but maybe these basic thoughts could be helpful for others.

Cheers.

Personally I've found gain stacking with pedals and the amp a huge success. My personal preference is to use relatively low gain and mix settings on the drive block and let the amp do the heavy work.

EQ is really important and slight tweaks here and there can be the difference between mush and super tones. Don't be put off by low cuts with values up to 700Hz either and high cuts of 7.5khz on the drive blocks - if your ears are telling you it sounds good then it probably is :)

Personally I've found gain stacking with pedals and the amp a huge success. My personal preference is to use relatively low gain and mix settings on the drive block and let the amp do the heavy work.

EQ is really important and slight tweaks here and there can be the difference between mush and super tones. Don't be put off by low cuts with values up to 700Hz either and high cuts of 7.5khz on the drive blocks - if your ears are telling you it sounds good then it probably is :)

This is good advice!

Back
Top Bottom