Distortion question

Rickmark2

I have been trying and trying to get a good distortion tone and no matter what I do. I really want to get close to the boogie mk2 c warm distortion I guess I must be doin something wrong can somebody help. Thank you all very much.

As far as I know FX8 doesn't have any amp simulation. You will not be able to reproduce the sound of a tube amp with a Drive pedal.

I would use the amp for your distortion.
Use the fx8 to supply an overdrive like an 808.
Gain on zero or close to it
tone anywhere from 11 oclock to 3 oclock.​

This is standard settings to tighten up any Hi Gain amp

However, if you are looking for a "mk2 c warm distortion" and your amp is a mark 2 c+....you probably don't need any OD/Distortion effect.

that's a delay and chorus pedal. does a distortion pedal sound good with the mark 2 c+?
Never have really tried one I love the boogie distortion , but thought that the fractal would give another distortion option kind of close to say the Steve via sound or the Eric Johnson tone but I find nothing like that in the preset tones

The FX8 models Drive Pedals not amps. Keep that in mind. Try the Ruckus type in the Drive block. You'll have to adjust it yourself, the presets are just examples.

You'll DEFINITELY have to tweak the drive blocks. The presets are OK but I would definitely not think they come close to illustrating the potential of the FX8.

Plus those guys have a lot of other fx going on... Not just distortion pedals...

If your Mark sounds good, you don't need any distortion, use just overdrive if you like. Look at FX8 just like bunch of pedals and use any one you want. This is not an amp.

As far as I know FX8 doesn't have any amp simulation. You will not be able to reproduce the sound of a tube amp with a Drive pedal.

With all due respect, I have to disagree, to some extent. I have a pretty killer drive tone going with the 3-knob tube driver using HV tube clipping and minor EQ tweaks, running through the clean channel of my Bogner Alchemist amp (set totally clean, no breakup whatsoever, intended to emulate a blackface DRR as a "canvas"). It's just as good as my "amp in a box" pedals (Bogner Ecstacy Blue, Wample Triplewreck), though not a substitute. It has it's own killer vibe and signature tone, which is super cool in its own right (I feel like I built my own pedal :D). Now, of course, I can hear a difference between my amp's overdrive and any pedal, and, yes, my amp sounds slightly better than my pedals and FX8, in that mystical "can't quite put my finger on it" way that real tube amps do. But the difference is so small that I could give a rat's ass about it; and I consider myself a picky-ass person when it comes to gear and tone. After all, that's why I spent so much money on the FX8 (actually, it doesn't seem that expensive to me, boutique amps do! ;)). Each component (amp drive channel, pedals, FX8) has it's own character and is not a substitute for any of the other components. They all sound great and I love having the sonic palette they offer me. In sum, I think you CAN get the sound of a tube amp in terms of overdrive tones. Granted, I'm using a clean tube amp, but I'ld bet I'd get the same result with a really good solid state guitar amp too. So, to the OP, I wasn't impressed with the presets either. As TRTTRTTRT suggests, you can't judge the drive block by the presets (listen up FAS!). Roll up your shirt sleeves, set your Boogie clean, and play around with the tube driver block settings. You don't need rely at all on pushing your amp into overdrive with an 808.

With all due respect, I have to disagree, to some extent. I have a pretty killer drive tone going with the 3-knob tube driver using HV tube clipping and minor EQ tweaks, running through the clean channel of my Bogner Alchemist amp (set totally clean, no breakup whatsoever, intended to emulate a blackface DRR as a "canvas"). It's just as good as my "amp in a box" pedals (Bogner Ecstacy Blue, Wample Triplewreck), though not a substitute. It has it's own killer vibe and signature tone, which is super cool in its own right (I feel like I built my own pedal :D). Now, of course, I can hear a difference between my amp's overdrive and any pedal, and, yes, my amp sounds slightly better than my pedals and FX8, in that mystical "can't quite put my finger on it" way that real tube amps do. But the difference is so small that I could give a rat's ass about it; and I consider myself a picky-ass person when it comes to gear and tone. After all, that's why I spent so much money on the FX8 (actually, it doesn't seem that expensive to me, boutique amps do! ;)). Each component (amp drive channel, pedals, FX8) has it's own character and is not a substitute for any of the other components. They all sound great and I love having the sonic palette they offer me. In sum, I think you CAN get the sound of a tube amp in terms of overdrive tones. Granted, I'm using a clean tube amp, but I'ld bet I'd get the same result with a really good solid state guitar amp too. So, to the OP, I wasn't impressed with the presets either. As TRTTRTTRT suggests, you can't judge the drive block by the presets (listen up FAS!). Roll up your shirt sleeves, set your Boogie clean, and play around with the tube driver block settings. You don't need rely at all on pushing your amp into overdrive with an 808.

...also an attempt to clone the bogner blue/red pedals (into clean amp), not quite there though.
the four drives (2x X/Y) in this preset do stack nice (scene 4/8)

Attachments

• drivesinprogresssssss.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 26
With all due respect, I have to disagree, to some extent. I have a pretty killer drive tone going with the 3-knob tube driver using HV tube clipping and minor EQ tweaks, running through the clean channel of my Bogner Alchemist amp (set totally clean, no breakup whatsoever, intended to emulate a blackface DRR as a "canvas").
Yes, but you're still using an amp. It would be almost impossible to get a good tone with the FX8 without an amp.

Back
Top Bottom