Distorted tone help

Have you played around with the Room Control/High Trim on the back of the HS7 when dialing in tones? I also have those monitors in an untreated room and using Room Control can be very helpful. Do you have them near a wall? Try putting -4db on the Room Control if you haven't tried it.
This above. I have those speakers and struggled until I switched them to the minus 4db setting. Clears up the tone. Don't recommend high cut, leave that on zero, go back to the amp block and re set it. Now just nudge the bass and treble slightly. Do the cuts in the IRs bass to around 80kh and try to get the treble down as much as you can, ideally around 9kh, and turn the volume up a bit!

Are your speakers in a relatively small room by any chance?

Thanks to those who generally tried to help. I think it will be impossible to solve the issue through the forum as I have tried pretty much everything, spent hours researching watching YouTube. No ones fault just the nature of the medium. I have mate coming over to have a listen who has one too.

Last edited:
This above. I have those speakers and struggled until I switched them to the minus 4db setting. Clears up the tone. Don't recommend high cut, leave that on zero, go back to the amp block and re set it. Now just nudge the bass and treble slightly. Do the cuts in the IRs bass to around 80kh and try to get the treble down as much as you can, ideally around 9kh, and turn the volume up a bit!

Are your speakers in a relatively small room by any chance?
Thanks mate, will give it a try, yes they are in a small bedroom, moved them away from the wall. Other audio sounds fine through them.

Don't give up yet. Here is a basic hard rock preset that I made for at home playing. Each of the scenes has different combinations of amps and drives. Maybe you will find one of them to your liking.
Thank you mate for your advice and sharing a preset.

Have you played around with the Room Control/High Trim on the back of the HS7 when dialing in tones? I also have those monitors in an untreated room and using Room Control can be very helpful. Do you have them near a wall? Try putting -4db on the Room Control if you haven't tried it.
Thank you mate, yes I have played around with the setting on the HS7, I have moved them further away from the wall. The cleans are amazing, if I could get the high gain as good as the cleans I would be stoked.

Thanks mate, will give it a try, yes they are in a small bedroom, moved them away from the wall. Other audio sounds fine through them.
Same here.. music play back always sounded good before I used the room controls, so it was counter intuitive to me to change them, but what I've realised is that you can't set the speakers up for music, you have to set them up for the fractal.

Mine are quite close to the corners of the room and I can't move them really. But that 4db bass cut will .I've up the tone

Same here.. music play back always sounded good before I used the room controls, so it was counter intuitive to me to change them, but what I've realised is that you can't set the speakers up for music, you have to set them up for the fractal.

Mine are quite close to the corners of the room and I can't move them really. But that 4db bass cut will .I've up the tone
Yeah for sure mate, I am just jamming now with the -4 db and trying the dyna cabs again (which someone else suggested), I think it is sounding a bit better. I notice a lot of people have very produced presets, I tend to have amp, cab and sometimes a little reverb. I am going for a tone that is just enough gain and then preamp boost at 12 to get note definition.

Oh and for the harsh high-end, Yamaha HS7's are pretty punishing. A common complaint is that they're excessively bright and fatiguing. Here is another thread on the forum about the HS7 which might be of interest to you.

On the preset.
You have a huge low cut in the input EQ of the amp (200hz ) coupled with an 800hz peaking boost with a wide Q. Add the boost you have turned on and set to TS808. Plus it looks the impedance Imp. Curve is set to is set to Load Box LB-2 UK (I don't think that curve is helping things) You have the bright switch turned on, which is fine if you want it, but experiment with it off or turn is down maybe even to 500 or 250. You can turn down bass and increase depth.

I get what youwere trying to do with the eq shaping, but perhaps it might be easier to get what you want by simplifying things. Start fresh, reset the channel of the amp block to start fresh. Instead of using all that tone shaping in the amp block maybe try a ts808 or other TS type drive block, Drive set to ~.5 or a bit lower, turn up level between 8-10. Adjust the tone up to where starts to tighten up, fine tune with the drive -advanced Bass response. If you still want to use boost in the amp even with the TS808 drive block on, I suggest using the CC type. If you want to use the bright switch, I would probably turn it down significantly if things are shrill. Lastly, experiment with the speaker impedance curves. It can really change things. On the bass side of things turning down the bass some and then increasing the depth can sometimes lead to better results.

Just food for thought.

Oh and for the harsh high-end, Yamaha HS7's are pretty punishing. A common complaint is that they're excessively bright and fatiguing. Here is another thread on the forum about the HS7 which might be of interest to you.
Thanks for that, it was an interesting read.

On the preset.
You have a huge low cut in the input EQ of the amp (200hz ) coupled with an 800hz peaking boost with a wide Q. Add the boost you have turned on and set to TS808. Plus it looks the impedance Imp. Curve is set to is set to Load Box LB-2 UK (I don't think that curve is helping things) You have the bright switch turned on, which is fine if you want it, but experiment with it off or turn is down maybe even to 500 or 250. You can turn down bass and increase depth.

I get what youwere trying to do with the eq shaping, but perhaps it might be easier to get what you want by simplifying things. Start fresh, reset the channel of the amp block to start fresh. Instead of using all that tone shaping in the amp block maybe try a ts808 or other TS type drive block, Drive set to ~.5 or a bit lower, turn up level between 8-10. Adjust the tone up to where starts to tighten up, fine tune with the drive -advanced Bass response. If you still want to use boost in the amp even with the TS808 drive block on, I suggest using the CC type. If you want to use the bright switch, I would probably turn it down significantly if things are shrill. Lastly, experiment with the speaker impedance curves. It can really change things. On the bass side of things turning down the bass some and then increasing the depth can sometimes lead to better results.

Just food for thought.
Thank you so much for this detailed helpful response. It is a bit late here now, I dial in tones with some decent volume but I will try your suggestions for sure. The input EQ of the amp (200hz ) coupled with an 800hz peaking boost with a wide Q was something I saw on a Leon Todd video. I have since reset everything and started from scratch using some of the suggestions in the thread including using dyna cabs, below is the preset if you get a chance to have a look. Also I cut the room control on my Yamaha HS7 -4db.

Attachments

• EVH.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
I had Yamaha HS80Ms and could not get a good metal tone out of them. I struggled A LOT. One day they would sound good and the next day, horrible. Many here have had great success with them, but they just did not work for me. It wasn't until I changed to the FR10s that I felt a lot closer to that sound I had in my head.

Thank you so much for this detailed helpful response. It is a bit late here now, I dial in tones with some decent volume but I will try your suggestions for sure. The input EQ of the amp (200hz ) coupled with an 800hz peaking boost with a wide Q was something I saw on a Leon Todd video. I have since reset everything and started from scratch using some of the suggestions in the thread including using dyna cabs, below is the preset if you get a chance to have a look. Also I cut the room control on my Yamaha HS7 -4db.
Sounds much better here. The bright cab sounds appropriate now. I like the shimmer boost with amp/cab combo. PEQ setting would be dependent on the rest of the mix. It cuts a lot of the sizzle here, but that is going to iffer by guitar and what else if going on in the song. I did like kicking the variac setting to 105-110%, it jus gave it a little extra spice IMO. BTW, Shaping the input eq is not a bad thing at all, but if you cut or boost too much , you may wind up making things worse in the end. I like Leon's analogy of spices. A little salt adds to the flavor, dump the whole box in and you have something else.

Last edited:
You are too new to understand.
No I am not, like I already said before, been using Fractal since the Ultra. Please do not patronise me, I am just a guitar player and spent my money like the rest of you, I do not feel I need to belong to some exclusive club and defend its honour. I thought music was meant to be fun and inclusive not elitist. Its fine if you feel loyal and protective, just don't put me or others down for having an issue and suggesting that the Fractal may not be god's gift to the world.

Last edited:
Sounds much better here. The bright cab sounds appropriate now. I like the shimmer boost with amp/cab combo. PEQ setting would be dependent on the rest of the mix. It cuts a lot of the sizzle here, but that is going to iffer by guitar and what else if going on in the song. I did like kicking the variac setting to 105-110%, it jus gave it a little extra spice IMO. BTW, Shaping the input eq is not a bad thing at all, but if you cut or boost too much , you may wind up making things worse in the end. I like Leon's analogy of spices. A little salt adds to the flavor, dump the whole box in and you have something else.
Thanks mate, yeah I usually use the TS 808 but tried the shimmer and liked it. I didn't feel the need to use the input eq when I was dialling it in. The PEQ is there more for the room for just playing not recording. I saw a clip of engineer and guitarist Kurt Ballou say something similar to Leon, spices are nice but you wouldn't sit down and eat a whole bowl of spices. Thanks again javajunkie for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom