Distance parameter

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Yesterday I was tweaking on my presets.
I tried to increase the distance parameter on the IR and the result was very interesting to me

Schermata 2021-02-23 alle 23.19.31.png

I've tried it too in the past, it feels like you are far miking your cab, it adds a sort of "room", in my experience a quite booming room, to the preset and the ir I was using. I think it can ben useful to have a more "real" response if you're hearing that sound with headphones or inear.
I'm not using this for my tone at the moment but maybe I will try it again

I've tried it too in the past, it feels like you are far miking your cab, it adds a sort of "room", in my experience a quite booming room, to the preset and the ir I was using. I think it can ben useful to have a more "real" response if you're hearing that sound with headphones or inear.
I'm not using this for my tone at the moment but maybe I will try it again
Exactly! I have the same feeling

Placebo! It isn't workimg with one IR only. It balances the time shift of two or more IRs.
no... for the same reason exist RAW and MPT IR.
The differences is RAW IR consider the natural delay due to the mic distance.
You can try yourself in any case. I can hear a difference

Yesterday I was tweaking on my presets.
I tried to increase the distance parameter on the IR and the result was very interesting to me

View attachment 79088
Don't know how this is in Axe Fx III, but in FM3 I noted that for some user cabs the IR's between the 2 cabs in the block can get delayed which can cause phasing problems (a bit like a comb filter ?). I posted a bug for that.

Don't know how this is in Axe Fx III, but in FM3 I noted that for some user cabs the IR's between the 2 cabs in the block can get delayed which can cause phasing problems (a bit like a comb filter ?). I posted a bug for that.
Yes of course, the distance control is made for that, but yesterday I tried to tweak that parameter and I noticed something different. Maybe is only placebo like says @666was999
For sure the test is very cheap to do :)

I did a sample. Maybe I am crazy but I hear a difference :D
...or I spend too much time in studio... and I need a pause... :D

Perhaps the small difference is not produced by delaying the initial position of the IR (that is the relative position between two IRs, as @666was999 has noted), but at the end of the IR. You are cutting the lenght of the IR from the end!

Last edited:
Perhaps the small difference is not produced by delaying the initial position of the IR (that is the relative position between two IRs, as @666was999 has noted), but at the end of the IR. You are cutting the lenght of the IR from the end!
I don't think the distance parameter cuts the IR at the end, it would be a silly implementation, not in Cliff's style.
That happens when the delay is baked into the IR prior to loading it in the axe

Really hard to say from your example if there's a difference. Might be easier to hear if you put a static loop and then change the distance.

The only explanation that comes to my mind atm is that when you play real cabs there's some real life delay caused by the physical distance making the sound less direct or instant. This kind of emulates that, but what I've understood is that even 3 meters in distance equals 8,75 ms of delay. 30ms is over 10 meters of distance between you and the sound. These distances are more like a room pre-delay or a small room sound that your brain might be hearing. Or maybe it sounds different to you because your brain has some extra time to listen to the sound caused by the delay? This is just guessing :innocent:

Idk I'm no scientist.

I suppose is the distance from the cabinet.. For the crunch sound it works very well but you have to try with the lead especially changing from bridge to neck pickup i think lost in definition..

There is no change in sound. 132 mm more distance to the place, where the IR was shot, would also cause a BIG difference in sound in real life, as the proximity parameters also make a huge impact to the sound.
I think this is just a tool to align phases of IRs, when using more than one IR. I don't f** around with those parameters, I use mpt files and there is no problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom