Digitech lives?

The GSP 2101 was the closest thing to an "Axe-Fx" in it's day (mid 90s to 2000).

gsp2101.jpg

Full bandwidth stereo effects (20-20kHz).

24-bit signal path, 48-bit internal data path.

Any digital effect can appear at any point in any effects chain. This is what really set this apart. Even some of Digitechs own fx untis that cane well after this one constrained you to preset effect order in signal path. You can even create loops in the 2101.

Number of simultaneous effects limited only by available CPU and RAM blocks. Unit Programmable Algorithms allow you to create an unlimited variety of custom effects configurations.

Effects can be repeated in a chain, e.g. EQ + flange + EQ + pitch shift + pitch shift.

Instant Module and Parameter access.

Multiple dynamic effects capability (e.g. chorus + flange+ pitch shift).

Expandable to 2x factory memory and processing with an optional "artist" upgrade.

Balanced, speaker-compensated outputs for running direct to a mixing console.

World-class tube preamp with six distortion types (3 tube, 3 solid state).

DigiTech’s exclusive modulation delays.

Chromatic tuner.

Effects include: Whammy, Chromatic Pitch Shifter, Harmony Intelligent Pitch Shifting, and Programmable Cabinet Emulation.

Built-in tone generator.

Digital and analog EQ.

MIDI input filtering and MIDI Merging.

MIDI program transmit and receive mapping.

All Effects and Parameters available for MIDI continuous control.

Optional Control One foot controller with built-in Expression Pedal for ultimate programmability and control.

Tone:
Powerful amp sims that are enhanced by the use of a 12AX7 tube used to get tube distortion and warmth. Also has option to use digital effects including distortion and overdrive. Sounds amazing when going into a couple of 1x12 circa '94 boogies. That was my light weight live rig back then up to ~2009.

100 user presets and 140 factory presets equals 240 presets in total, some which were created by some very well known artists i.e. Steve Vai, Steve Stevens, George Lynch, Dweezil Zappa, Warren Dimartini among others.

It was awful to program but once you got it down it was amazing. There were some 3rd party software editors that came along and made things a bit easier. But it was/is a great piece of gear from the 90s.
EDIT: I meant the 2112/2120

That thing was amazing in the control it offered with the control 1 foot switch board.

The Achilles heel was that the distortion block farted on low chugs and was not truly bypassable.

Last edited:
That thing was amazing in the control it offered with the control 1 foot switch board.

The Achilles heel was that the distortion block farted on low chugs and was not truly bypassable.
Yes I still have the footswitch too. Great rig for it's time. I used it on plenty of prog metal without complaint but I rarely used the digital distortion modes, only the built-in 12AX7 tube distortion as preamp into twin Mesa Studio .22+ 1x12 combos. For the tube distortion modes you can easily dial out any flatulates using the Mesa's 5 band EQ.

I was always more into the driven tube pre into driven tube amp thing for heavy tones instead of the digital distortion anyway. But the combination of the 2101 in stereo with the "boogie twins" was/is a beautiful thing for a very capable and "luggable" stereo live rig.

Of course now my FM9 and a couple monitors are even more luggable, they sound much sweeter and they are also infinitely more versatile!

The 2101LE was a revelation for me, bought 2nd hand in 2001 and naturally made the step to the Ultra in 2011 as the unit showed 'end of life' signs. Before Fractal it was the best thing one could buy.

The Johnson Millennium and Digitech ISP33B super harmonizer I had were both pretty awesome. Maybe they will resurrect some amazing gear.

Between JHS and Company buy outs, my bad monkey pedal will be worth a fortune one of these days!!! Bwuuu Ha Ha Haaaa!!!! ;)

i had an old digitech rp7. the guys i played with would always ask how i got my tones so good. id joke and say it was in my fingers...which really pissed them off because they all had much higher end equipment (multiples of my cheap rig).

...never realized how much i loved that pedal...til i got a line6 hd500x.

Back
Top Bottom