Different tone than youtube

As others have said, you do have to account for guitars, pickup, strings, fingers, hands and brain and imagination.

I'll give you a personal anecdote:
I've programmed Steve Vai's guitar rig for years for his tours. Literally playing Evo, Flo and other guitars through his guitar rig in Harmony Hut while his engineer records and A/Bs the sounds vs the records as well as Steve's recordings etc. In other words, the --exact-- same signal path as what you hear on his records and live. There is literally nothing different other than our hands touching the strings. I've sheepishly had to play some of his riffs and licks in front of Thomas Nordegg and others until the rig is ready for Steve to try the sounds out and give notes on tweaks needed.

Every single time, I've handed him his guitar and instantly the rig sounds like Steve Vai. And we're not talking about some 5% difference either, we're talking an ocean of difference. It's pretty much "oh yeah, that's Steve Vai" when he picks up the guitar and plays.

Leon and Cooper are both accomplished and great players in their own right, If you want to sound like them you also have to focus on playing like them.

As others have said, you do have to account for guitars, pickup, strings, fingers, hands and brain and imagination.

I'll give you a personal anecdote:
I've programmed Steve Vai's guitar rig for years for his tours. Literally playing Evo, Flo and other guitars through his guitar rig in Harmony Hut while his engineer records and A/Bs the sounds vs the records as well as Steve's recordings etc. In other words, the --exact-- same signal path as what you hear on his records and live. There is literally nothing different other than our hands touching the strings. I've sheepishly had to play some of his riffs and licks in front of Thomas Nordegg and others until the rig is ready for Steve to try the sounds out and give notes on tweaks needed.

Every single time, I've handed him his guitar and instantly the rig sounds like Steve Vai. And we're not talking about some 5% difference either, we're talking an ocean of difference. It's pretty much "oh yeah, that's Steve Vai" when he picks up the guitar and plays.

Leon and Cooper are both accomplished and great players in their own right, If you want to sound like them you also have to focus on playing like them.
You put that beautifully. Yet it’s almost impossible to convey that to someone who hasn’t experienced it for themselves.

A lot of people still talking about fingers and hands when we've gotten some clearer information from OP:

OP, it sounds like you are getting something else other than just the amp tone in your live monitor feed. It could be a dI signal or a second copy of the tone at a different delay causing phase issues because something is live monitoring when you don't expect it to be. Look for things that are set to live monitor and investigate.

1. Does closing your DAW change anything? If you have your recording track set to live monitor you could be hearing both the Fractal output directly, plus the slightly delayed live monitoring feed of the same source from you DAW. Or you could have your DI channel set to live monitor on another track if you're recording separate DI tracks for future reamping. Closing the DAW will tell you if it's something in your DAW/tracking, or outside of it.
2. If the closed DAW still sounds that way, check your other audio device settings to see if any live monitoring settings are enabled. On some audio interfaces there is a setting in their controls to enable live monitoring for certain channels at the interface level, the sound doesn't even reach your computer it goes straight to the main outs of the interface for zero lag monitoring. It sounds like you're using the Fractal as your interface but in case you weren't that could be happening too.

A lot of people still talking about fingers and hands when we've gotten some clearer information from OP:

OP, it sounds like you are getting something else other than just the amp tone in your live monitor feed. It could be a dI signal or a second copy of the tone at a different delay causing phase issues because something is live monitoring when you don't expect it to be. Look for things that are set to live monitor and investigate.

1. Does closing your DAW change anything? If you have your recording track set to live monitor you could be hearing both the Fractal output directly, plus the slightly delayed live monitoring feed of the same source from you DAW. Or you could have your DI channel set to live monitor on another track if you're recording separate DI tracks for future reamping. Closing the DAW will tell you if it's something in your DAW/tracking, or outside of it.
2. If the closed DAW still sounds that way, check your other audio device settings to see if any live monitoring settings are enabled. On some audio interfaces there is a setting in their controls to enable live monitoring for certain channels at the interface level, the sound doesn't even reach your computer it goes straight to the main outs of the interface for zero lag monitoring. It sounds like you're using the Fractal as your interface but in case you weren't that could be happening too.
Thanks for comprehension.
I'll double check, anyway it seems much better changing the 8npint setting in the cab book to L+R (was only L). I don't know if it makes any sense but it seems better.
By the way, I also switched to the new suggested picks, that are comfortable and darker sounding than jazz iiii

I also LOVE Leons and Coopers playing and tones. Like you, their presets have more high end content when I use them than I hear through youtube using my CLR's. As was stated earlier I attribute this to my guitars, pickups and the way I play.

to follow up here, check out Leon's latest video

I offered to send him some DIs with video which ended up with some interesting results
thanks again @2112 for the collab and shoutout, was a lot of fun 🙏

some info on my signal chain
Guitar --> Cordial CSI-PP silent cableCountryman type 85 DI --> RME Babyface Pro interface into DAW (Reaper)
Guitars:
Ibanez RGDIX6PB - Haussel Tozz XL B bridge pickup // Dunlop The Wedge .88mm pick
Strat: 'Chipocaster, partscaster , Suhr DSV (i think!) in the bridge - BHL wizard 1.6mm ergo pick

Last edited:

to follow up here, check out Leon's latest video

I offered to him to send him some DIs with video with some interesting results
thanks again @2112 for the collab and shoutout, was a lot of fun 🙏

some info on my signal chain
Guitar --> Cordial CSI-PP silent cableCountryman type 85 DI --> RME Babyface Pro interface into DAW (Reaper)
Guitars:
Ibanez RGDIX6PB - Haussel Tozz XL B bridge pickup // Dunlop The Wedge .88mm pick
Strat: 'Chipocaster, partscaster , Suhr DSV (i think!) in the bridge - BHL wizard 1.6mm ergo pick

Great test and great information. Thank's, guys!

Back
Top Bottom