Different tone than youtube

I made a test. I downloaded the preset for Cooper Carter and recorded a few chords. The recording is very close to what I hear on youtube, but if I play I hear a lot of high end that is not recorded...why??
That's very interesting ...

Are any differences in your monitoring setup between your "live" (playing) and recording/listening setup?
Tell us more about your workflow and signal chain.

That's very interesting ...

Are any differences in your monitoring setup between your "live" (playing) and recording/listening setup?
Tell us more about your workflow and signal chain.
no I use the same monitors for live playing and for listening to the recorded tones. I do hoper there is something wrong, because I expected to hear live what I record. But in the end, I like what I record much more than what I hear

I made a test. I downloaded the preset for Cooper Carter and recorded a few chords. The recording is very close to what I hear on youtube, but if I play I hear a lot of high end that is not recorded...why??
Because when you’re playing live, you can still hear the sound coming directly from your strings to your ears. Turn your volume all the way down, and strum a chord. That trebly sound is what gets mixed into your FM3’s sound.

Crank up the volume high enough to drown out your string sound (note: it will be loud!). Now you’ll hear the sound you’re recording.

no I use the same monitors for live playing and for listening to the recorded tones. I do hoper there is something wrong, because I expected to hear live what I record. But in the end, I like what I record much more than what I hear
Because when you’re playing live, you can still hear the sound coming directly from your strings to your ears. Turn your volume all the way down, and strum a chord. That trebly sound is what gets mixed into your FM3’s sound.

Crank up the volume high enough to drown out your string sound (note: it will be loud!). Now you’ll hear the sound you’re recording.

Or maybe try monitoring your "playing/live" sound with headphones. If that helps eliminate the high-end you hear while playing through your monitors, then most likely it is your guitar's acoustic sound that is making you perceive that high-end excess.

I tried to get very close to the monitor to hear more the tone from it. It is definitely more trebly than what I record.
I don't think it is related to the tone of the strings but I will double check

I have the same. The sound is better after recording. When I play live on the same monitors, the sound is drier and more strident. The difference may not be drastic, but noticeable. I don't know what causes this, but until now I thought it was a normal phenomenon.

Put the looper block in the chain and record your playing with that block. Then play it back with no "tone of strings"...
tried with both headphones and monitors: it's the same. I hear more high end when playing rather than when listening.
If I play (even harder) on the silent guitar I can't hear those high frequencies I hear when playing.
It's really strange for me.

Thanks for your help

I'm just trying to reproduce some tone I hear from Cooper Carter and Leon Todd.
I hear them on the same monitors I use with the FM3.
Even a simple amp+cab set the same is them sounds differently, with a much higher content of high end (in my case).
The guitar is very similar.

Why?
Thanks
This is good what you are trying to decipher and you will learn much from it.
Hi cut and Low cuts are something both do and its a common practice to do in recording studios and live performances. The rest is learning what IR are they using and approximate the rest using EQs.

Compression has to be the last thing to get in to the equation.

Good luck on your quest.

Back
Top Bottom