Did your effect pedals GAS stop since you bought your Axe fx?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Apparently mine has not! I have the Axe II for more than two years and I thought I wouldn't be interested in effect pedals anymore once I bought it. But I still keep looking at youtube videos of some nice new pedals. Also I still use some pedals along with my Axe. Some of them sound better than the effects in the Axe I think so I keep using them. I find myself adding more pedals lately instead of less. What is your experience? and which pedals can't you miss?

I still really want some of the more funky pedals. I will, for example, get around to getting a Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer at some point. IT WILL HAPPEN!

I find that I miss a few of Strymon pedals..Mobius and Flint..sometimes the functionality of the Timeline being at my feet...but I haven't looked at any dirt pedals since I bought the Axe. Everything sounds great..so no need. Hopefully we'll see some improvements with some of the effects in the Axe as far as ease of use for those of us that aren't tweakers. If I could afford it..I'd probably own all of them. On the other hand...not having any other pedals has forced me to learn more about what the Axe has to offer and how to use it.

I have a B-rig with a Blues Jr. that I've put together with a few pedals. A Carl Martin Plexitone, Red Witch Violetta delay and an Xotic SP compressor all riding on a Pedaltrain Nano. Its the little brother to my Fractal rig. I'm still eyeing a few more pedals.

The Plexitone is my most expensive pedal at $188 USD (it's the single-channel). I can't justify uber-expensive pedals knowing that I have top-notch effects in my Fractal box. Spending thousands on boutique pedals would defeat the purpose of a B-rig, IMHO. Still, the Plexitone absolutely kills.

Oh, I did break down and buy a Boomerang Phrase Sampler. As nice as the AxeFX is, I wanted a looper with more functionality.

Last edited:
>> Did your effect pedals GAS stop since you bought your Axe fx?

Very much so, as did the amp GAS. It's like I married the girl of my dreams. The others still look good, and I'm happy for those who can partake, but I don't want them any more.

Mixed bag. I might hear a demo of a pedal and get excited, but then I get more excited thinking about how to get the same result in the Axe.
I'm hard pressed these days to find a pedal that I would likely use and not be able to cop in the axe... they're out there, but they're rare.
On the other hand, there's an artistic side of pedals I'm still drawn to, as silly as I'm sure that sounds. A good layout and enclosure can mean as much to me as a good tone from a pedal... maybe another testiment to my satisfaction with the axe: pick up the pretty pedals, tone be damned, because I've already got the tone side covered.
Speaking of, anyone try to tackle the Chase Audio Warped Vinyl yet?

Last edited:
Speaking of, anyone try to tackle the Chase Audio Warped Vinyl yet?

That's one pedal I have GAS for :). Not really happy with the Axe chorus and flanger.
I also use a Brunetti Mercury, Hexe Revolver and Catalinbread Belle Epoch (tape delay) I run these in front of the Axe. I am in the market for a digital stereo delay to run at the end of the chain. Also I am thinking of digging up my Analog Man BiComprossor and bring that in the chain as well.

My pedals moved to storage after the AxeFx but have wanted a Suhr Riot since first saw on youtube a couple years back. I restrain myself as then I would probably start down that slope and really don't want to be adding more **** to carry. Fractal has teased about adding the Riot a few times so hopeful we may see it sometime in the future.

That's one pedal I have GAS for :). Not really happy with the Axe chorus and flanger.
I also use a Brunetti Mercury, Hexe Revolver and Catalinbread Belle Epoch (tape delay) I run these in front of the Axe. I am in the market for a digital stereo delay to run at the end of the chain. Also I am thinking of digging up my Analog Man BiComprossor and bring that in the chain as well.

You've got good taste!

AxeFxII cured my effects pedal GAS. I sold off most of my pedals and racks.
Still using a talk box and Whammy DT plus an ADA Flanger in the front end.

Most importantly I'm no longer plagued by ground loop hum/noise. When I did have two huge pedal boards that was a big problem, it got to a point where I had built these pedalboards and never used them.

That's a big plus that's rarely mentioned with multi-effects units, even if they're not an Axe Fx. No cables, no connectors, common power supply - cuts down on a lotta crap and complications dramatically.

I put my talk box in the effects loop, with a 1/4 dummy plug on the effects return, so that way, my wireless feeds directly the the axe fx in the rack, so I have no lengthy audio cables, except the effects loop out TO the banshee talk box. No noisy anything to contend with.

I just use the effects in the Axe FX for anything else

No real pedal GAS anymore. The axe can do everything well that I need. The only pedal I still use is my EHX HOG2, the rest are all parked in my closet.

99% of the time - Yes, that also goes for amps.
The Strymon Timeline always looks appealing, but it's just another item that's not really needed at all. I like the simplicity Axe FX + MFC. Since getting it, everything else is basically in storage....probably will unload the (no longer used) pedals and amps.

Back
Top Bottom