Did you sell your "REAL" rig in favor of the Axe?

Morbid

Inspired
Hello Gents,

Just a friendly discussion that I imagine has happened here time and time again, but with the release of the Quantum Firmware, I wanted to bring it up again to get some new opinions.

First, a little backstory.
I can only imagine many people shared the same view at one point, but I was once against digital modelers entirely. I'd played with and listened to just about every modeler I could get my hands on, and all of them left me wanting. Lack of warmth, no lushness, no smooth grit...it always sounded fake. So I spent a few years putting together my rig, finding the best deals I could, and eventually my Mesa Boogie Mark IV rig was born. All 300 lbs of it, lol. A rig I can't move by myself, but can't help but get weak in the knees when I hear it.

A couple of years ago though, my Mark IV started acting up. After about 20 minutes of play time, the sound would change in a very undesirable way. I could put it on standby, flip it back on and be good for a little while, but it'd always come back. In the midst of all this, I'd been searching for a light weight good sounding solution to an Open Mic Night rig that didn't require a cabinet but was still enjoyable to play (why bring the entire rig for 3 songs?). In comes the Marshall JMP-1. It sounded good, but wasn't really what I was after tonally. Then a deal on the Axe-FX pops up that I couldn't resist, so I grabbed it. It sounded better than any modeler I'd heard, but still took me a few weeks to get a sound I really loved...one that compared to my Mark IV. But with each FW update, things have gotten better and better.

Fast forward some time, and I haven't touched my Mark IV rig, in part because of the sound issue, and in part because I moved. Having moved my old rig recently from one house to another, I'm reminded of how incredibly heavy it is, and how difficult it is to move even with 2 people, and at this point I'm now considering selling it. I'll be plugging it in at some point within the next few days to give it a listen, just to remind myself of what the real tube tone sounds like, but based on all I've heard and seen about Quantum (waiting for some of the bugs to be patched before I upgrade), I've grown to think that perhaps the Axe has reached the point where tubes truly are no longer necessary.

So how about you guys? How many of you sold your "real" rigs in favor of the Axe-FX, and, do you ever miss having a real tube amp?
I already recognize how much more versatile the Axe-FX is than a normal one trick pony rig, so no need to focus on that part of the discussion. It's mainly the tone/feeling/reaction of playing that I'm interested in hearing about :)

Give me some details if you would. We have a pretty large community of both seasoned and professional players, so I want to hear it all.

First, the axe is a real rig haha. I have not sold my old rig yet, but I want to. Before I bought the axe I had an orange rocker verb 50 head and 4x12 cab and bunch of pedals. I also had a hughes and kettner head, but I was going to sell that before I bought the axe. So I bought the axe, I sold my pedals, bought a power amp, kept the cab, bought the MFC and 2 fractal EV1's and a Mission. No the Orange Rockerverb 50 head sits in my closet. It seems that if you want to sell an actual tube amp head, people won't buy it unless they get it SUPER cheap, and I'm trying to sell it at a reasonable price, but I'm not going to give it away either and it seems that's what people expect these days. So it will sit in my closet until somebody buys it for a reasonable price.

Sold almost all my Marshall vintage gear. Only kept my 6100LM and 1960TV cab loaded with a matched quad of '76 25W Blackbacks, but I'm ready to sell them as well. I just don't need them. The Axe covers everything and with Quantum I just can't imagine it would get much better. I think Cliff has it pretty much nailed. Fractal user for life.

Roger

I still thave my g-system / CAE preamp / mesa amp and thiele cabs. Same story here, you just cannot sell it unless it is for a ridiculous price.
Also I always have a back-up set now [emoji5]️
Part of me is afraid, because it still is a kind of computer, that it will brake down on me an leave me with nothing.
But for the last 3 years that did not happen.

A few weeks ago I setup my analog rig just to hear an feel the CAE again but I actually liked my axe fx better.

www.inbouwstationhissink.com

First, the axe is a real rig haha. I have not sold my old rig yet, but I want to. Before I bought the axe I had an orange rocker verb 50 head and 4x12 cab and bunch of pedals. I also had a hughes and kettner head, but I was going to sell that before I bought the axe. So I bought the axe, I sold my pedals, bought a power amp, kept the cab, bought the MFC and 2 fractal EV1's and a Mission. No the Orange Rockerverb 50 head sits in my closet. It seems that if you want to sell an actual tube amp head, people won't buy it unless they get it SUPER cheap, and I'm trying to sell it at a reasonable price, but I'm not going to give it away either and it seems that's what people expect these days. So it will sit in my closet until somebody buys it for a reasonable price.

Essentially the same story for me but with an Orange AD140. You should see some of the "trades" people on craigslist email me trying to get this thing...
Im keeping my pedals though, still a softy when it comes to those haha

I bought the Axe FX 2 & and MFC 101. Then, I sold virtually all of my amps, cabs & pedals. I had money left over and my back is forever grateful. Oh yeah, my tone has improved dramatically, not to mention the pallet of tonal possibilities is endless.

No because of sentimental value, but my old rig is in a walk in closet gathering dust and cobwebs. Since day one I never looked back and have no regrets using it as my personal rig.
Axe-fx II + MFC-101 is my real rig.

Since AxeFxII came home.....

Sold 2 4x12's
Sold Dual Rec
Sold JCM900
Sold RG200
Sold Archon

....have no regrets. 10/10. Would sell again.

Last summer I decided I wanted something better, so I sold my Marshall JVM205H, 1960AV Cabinet, ISP Decimator ProRackG & $1,800 of effects and have not been happier.

I now have every amp, every cabinet and every effect - and it always sounds great. I could never get a consistent sound with the Marshall and was always changing tubes and breaking my back.

I was playing a Mesa Stiletto Deuce through a custom 2x12 with GMajor and a couple stomps for fx. Loved the rig, but don't miss hauling it around and setup at all. And besides, I very rarely get to play anywhere big enough to let the amp breathe, so it never really got me "the" tone. Axefx rig is an orgasm in a 2 rack space.

I had a mark V and a gmajor2 and sold everything to buy the axe :)
I'm playing at 90% at home and have never been able to push my amp higher than 1/10...
Now I can have any sound on a cab or hearphones and can't regret !

Had a big rack with Mesa 2:90, TriAxis, g-major, ADA (had all 3), Carvin Quad-X, 2 Mesa cabs, all gone for an Axe (3rd now), and MFC, Matrix amp and cabs and Mission pedals.
Could not be more hapier.

Thank you Cliff and FAS team, you have created my dream rig ever!

I donated most of my gear to The Academy of Rock. I do, however, still play through real cabs, so I kept a Marshall 4x12, and a Fender twin open back 2x12 which I drive with a Carvin A/B power amp. I got rid of a whole house full of amps and effects. The Academy of Rock kids are well equipped.

I'm in the process, and it sure as hell is getting damn hard to sell ANYTHING. I have a lot of stuff for sale
and it just sits. I like, others mentioned, am not going to give it away, because I need the full amount to
get the axe. lol I am also disabled, which makes it a real biatch, to haul stuff to the post office. I am now
starting to part out all my guitars so I don't have to ship in big boxes and worry my ass off, lol. I'm not
whining, it is what it is, but it's no picnic selling gear, for me anyway. So, If your on the fence, you had better
get cracking, before nobody wants any of it,lol.

Kept my original Plexi 100w, tweed Bassman, BF Pro Reverb, Super Reverb and Dlx Reverb. But, I stopped looking for amps to add to the collection..... I am happy with the decision.

Back
Top Bottom