Did you sell your "REAL" rig in favor of the Axe?

Nope. I've sold enough gear over the years that I ended up regretting, I'll likely never sell any more, ever.

I still enjoy hooking up a head and a 4x12 and crankin it from time to time. Playing through headphones and recording in the digital realm is one thing, but until I get a good FRFR setup to compliment the Axe, I'll fire up a big rig and have some fun at a level that pisses off the neighbors. =)

I play my XL and MFC everyday. But I also play my tube half stack weekly and my tube combo with analog pedalboard monthly.
I haven't sold anything. Planning to add an AX8 and an FRFR solution.

3 years ago the last amp got away, before it wouldn't be worth one single ct anymore. Anybody has any actual data about second hand tube amp pricing levels over the last 5 years ?

3 years ago the last amp got away, before it wouldn't be worth one single ct anymore. Anybody has any actual data about second hand tube amp pricing levels over the last 5 years ?
Not good. Go hang out at MLP to watch top flight stuff fly by at bargain basement prices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I see a lot of people mentioning the FRFR.
I run mine through the Matrix GT1000FX and my Mesa 4x12, and think it sounds great.
Am I missing out by not running FRFR?

I play my XL and MFC everyday. But I also play my tube half stack weekly and my tube combo with analog pedalboard monthly.
I haven't sold anything. Planning to add an AX8 and an FRFR solution.

I go through phases, I currently play through my tube heads most of the time, but eventually I'll spend more time with the Axe Fx.

That's a complicated question.

Yes and no. The setup I had was a throw together, so I didn't exactly have any kind of attachment to it, I've sold some of it, some of it I modded to the point that it's unsellable, and I have the rest to my daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't sell my preamps because they are not in the list. I have an ADA MP-1, MP-2 and a Peavey Rockmaster but I don't use them anymore. I just play them sometimes and I don't sell them beacause of the sentimental value.
The Axe II has everything I need, every amp an effect I use.
I just sold my Mesa Oversize 4x12 because it is too big to carry alone. Ahahah

Paolo

I have many amps and an AXE.My tube amps get less and less playing time

I recently changed to XL (mainly because IR number )

But i sold some of my amps-just recently my JVM410( the heavy brother of an elephant) as it was least played and Axe can do that to 150% and also at living room levels

So apart my Mark V (sentimental reasons) more of the amps will maybe have to go

my 2 cents

Roland

Still i like the tube glow

I'll never sell my valve rigs as you cannot beat them for sound (for me anyway). However, the Axe-FX is so much more versatile (Scenes are a blessing and I don't have to invest in a Gig-Rig controller for my army of pedals). The Axe-FX isn't for all - for example, I've done four gigs where I've used the Axe-FX for one and the valve rig for the other on the request of the band I was standing in with. The general consensus was that the Axe-FX sounded far too "sterile" and didn't have the character of my other valve\pedal rigs. Both bands said "Do you have something else other than THAT? You're always trying to tune something on it to adapt to the stage.". I've used the Axe-FX with a range of traditional cabs and a Matrix GT1000FX and I didn't get on with it. Now matched up with an Atomic CLR wedge and you're in fiddling territory and trying to get it to sounds somewhere near like a cab (which I cannot do no matter how much kind advice I've been given). At the moment, I may well be using it as a 4CM setup and keeping it just for home use\amp\cab sims. It's a fantastic piece of kit, but I've spent more time faffing around with IRs and dialling out harshness (now even more so with Quantum it seems) than actual playing. At the moment, I have to confess being slightly out of love with it, so am having a break from it to come back with fresh ears.

I have kept all of my amps. Things like my 68 small box 50w plexi are going nowhere. The thing is, in 5 years time, the current version of the Axe will be worth much less and my vintage amps will all retain their value. That is the plus point for keeping them for me.
The negative side of the real amps and the benefits on the Axefx........ Well, the benefits are huge. I have a 70's Marshall cab with original 55hz celestian blackbacks that blew a speaker mid recording. This is a nightmare as all my cabs and amps had to be moved. eight Marshall 4 x12's and eight heads. 4 had to moved to get the broken cab out. Just to see what was wrong. That means the whole rhythm track needed to be re recorded with a different speaker and different mic placement.
Same with a couple of amps here at my studio. My Marshall 2150 (Rock n Roll baby) combo has died and needs a service. So does my 79 JMP 2203. Even my SLO100 has developed a little bit of hum. This does not happen in the Axe. Once you have a sound and are recording, nothing blows up or breaks and ruins the session. I am getting to like this more and more :)
So, while there is no real reason to sell old vintage amps that you love just because you bought an Axefx, servicing and keeping them in working condition is another thing altogether :)

I see a lot of people mentioning the FRFR.
I run mine through the Matrix GT1000FX and my Mesa 4x12, and think it sounds great.
Am I missing out by not running FRFR?

I'm with you. Poweramp+cab is the way to go on stage at least. FOH gets the FRFR feed.

I'm with you. Poweramp+cab is the way to go on stage at least. FOH gets the FRFR feed.

And...., There are a lot of folks with CLR's on stage as well, so YMMV ;)

I have a real nice Fender SuperSonic 60 combo and a Line-6 Vetta2 combo gathering dust since my Axe-perience...

I have kept all of my amps. Things like my 68 small box 50w plexi are going nowhere. The thing is, in 5 years time, the current version of the Axe will be worth much less and my vintage amps will all retain their value. That is the plus point for keeping them for me.
The negative side of the real amps and the benefits on the Axefx........ Well, the benefits are huge. I have a 70's Marshall cab with original 55hz celestian blackbacks that blew a speaker mid recording. This is a nightmare as all my cabs and amps had to be moved. eight Marshall 4 x12's and eight heads. 4 had to moved to get the broken cab out. Just to see what was wrong. That means the whole rhythm track needed to be re recorded with a different speaker and different mic placement.
Same with a couple of amps here at my studio. My Marshall 2150 (Rock n Roll baby) combo has died and needs a service. So does my 79 JMP 2203. Even my SLO100 has developed a little bit of hum. This does not happen in the Axe. Once you have a sound and are recording, nothing blows up or breaks and ruins the session. I am getting to like this more and more :)
So, while there is no real reason to sell old vintage amps that you love just because you bought an Axefx, servicing and keeping them in working condition is another thing altogether :)

Bummer. I've been fortunate in that I have had virtually zero issues with the amps I have, and I can repair any issues myself if they were to occur. I don't cart mine around, so the weight is a non-issue. I don't need to sell them for the $$$, so that is also a non-issue. I enjoy playing through them, so there's no reason to sell them.

Back
Top Bottom