Did I make a mistake?

I am a worship leader and play mostly in church settings and worship concerts. Do a bit of recording too.

i just bought XL+ and MFC101mkIII and now I hear people raving about how AX8 is a better choice for live. I know the specs difference between the two but is AX8 really that close to XL+ that it can replace it?

There are no mistakes where anything Fractal is concerned.

Whilst the AX8 maybe a smaller carry and hence less of a load, you won't regret your choice.

Edit: To put this in context a friend of mine bought the AX8 first but then decided he still needed an XL+

I agree with you regarding Fractal products. I joined the fractal family when Ultra came out and have never looked back.

It's just the posts about comparing the two on various forums that makes me wonder if Fractal really came out with something more functional and practical than XL+ and still $1000 cheaper. If that were to be true, I would be a not so happy camper having spent quite some money on it recently.

It's mostly a trade-off in power versus portability.

You say you already know the specs... Only you can decide if the trade-off is worth the cost difference to you.

Some people can't live with only 1 amp block, or some of the missing capabilities in the Cab block, or the lack of headphone output, or the lack of direct usb recording interface, or less CPU power... Some are quite content without them.

Listening to "people" is usually poison, one shouldn't do too much of it. Is the machine doing what you expect? Are you happy with it? Do you now have the flexibility to do things you haven't imagined you would, but now are capable of? If you were only ever going to play live, you may have overbought, but now consider what possibilities now exist. Someone else can line-by-line enumerate the deltas. The AX-8 is cheaper, yes, and it does many of the same things, however its flexibility is reduced in subtle ways in many functionality areas to meet the goal of that lower price. Overall, that answer to the original question is no, it cannot replace all the things an AX-FX XL+ does.

Buyers remorse over price is one thing, but externally induced buyer's remorse is just silly.

Furthermore, posts in "various forums" is the worst place to get information with which to make decisions. Bear in mind that most forums attract a certain kind of personality, the kind that loves to pick apart every little detail, dirty it up with their own slant, start arguments over the merits of infinitely stupid nitnoid crapola, troll, find ways to insidiously push their agenda, and so on. They do this for any number of reasons; they have too much time on their hands, they're insufferably boorish in the outside world and no one they are around wants to have a conversation with them, they live in their parents basement as they dream of being things they'll never be because they are unmotivated to do anything more than go to their crap job at the Quik-E-Mart and come home to spout off on all the BS they concocted in their heads as they were flipping burgers.

That's my one long post of the day. Me scusi per favore, I have a fellowship grant proposal to write. Ciao.

The Axe II and MFC combo will give you more options and flexibility for sure. AX8 works great for many. Depends entirely on your needs and preferences.

You have the state of the art product from the state of the art company. If you, upon thinking about it as related to your particular use, now feel the AX-8 is a better overall solution for you and you are not going to miss the feature set difference or have to buy additional gear to use the AX-8 in the various situations you mentioned then I am pretty sure you can list the Axe Fx II XL + and MFC in the classified section here and not lose much. If that would make you happier there is that option.

FWIW - I bought one of the early AX-8's. When it arrived at my house I didn't even take it out of the box. I knew I really wanted the Axe Fx II XL+ as I would be doing mostly home recording and the features the XL+ had over the wonderful AX-8 were important to me.

Listening to "people" is usually poison, one shouldn't do too much of it. Is the machine doing what you expect? Are you happy with it? Do you now have the flexibility to do things you haven't imagined you would, but now are capable of? If you were only ever going to play live, you may have overbought, but now consider what possibilities now exist. Someone else can line-by-line enumerate the deltas. The AX-8 is cheaper, yes, and it does many of the same things, however its flexibility is reduced in subtle ways in many functionality areas to meet the goal of that lower price. Overall, that answer to the original question is no, it cannot replace all the things an AX-FX XL+ does.

Buyers remorse over price is one thing, but externally induced buyer's remorse is just silly.

Furthermore, posts in "various forums" is the worst place to get information with which to make decisions. Bear in mind that most forums attract a certain kind of personality, the kind that loves to pick apart every little detail, dirty it up with their own slant, start arguments over the merits of infinitely stupid nitnoid crapola, troll, find ways to insidiously push their agenda, and so on. They do this for any number of reasons; they have too much time on their hands, they're insufferably boorish in the outside world and no one they are around wants to have a conversation with them, they live in their parents basement as they dream of being things they'll never be because they are unmotivated to do anything more than go to their crap job at the Quik-E-Mart and come home to spout off on all the BS they concocted in their heads as they were flipping burgers.

That's my one long post of the day. Me scusi per favore, I have a fellowship grant proposal to write. Ciao.

I agree! Thanks for your long post...lol. It is very correct and to the point.

I knew getting XL+ was the right thing to do but I guess I just needed reaffirmation.

Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciate it.

I think you made the right choice. Myself I didn't like the ax8 but it has had alot of updates since then

Agree with all of the other comments. It all depends on what you are using it for and how much you'll miss certain input/output jacks, etc.

Obviously there are differences, otherwise there would not be two products. :)

axe8 is not better.... put two amps on there? global blocks, can actually use a quality reverb.. list goes on and on. What you have is top of the line.
For the record, the AX8 has a "quality reverb." It runs the same reverb algorithms as the Axe-Fx. Depending on how much CPU your preset needs, you might need to switch Qality from High to Standard, but the differences are subtle, and they're inaudible in a live situation, which is the AX8's primary purpose.

The XL might be a little more than what you need, but you can get so much more out of it. Do you do any recording? If not, maybe you can trying getting into it. There's so many possibilities you have in front of you. Don't worry if you overbought, worry about how you can make the most of your purchase. You can spend years and years and not run out of options.

If you use a lot of effects to create ethereal type sounds then you are better off with the XL+. I only use delay, reverb, pith shift, and chorus/flange so the AX8 works well for me.

I have the Axe 2 and am going to buy the AX8 too. Why? simple portability. When I am traveling or playing where I do not need the "full meal deal", the Axe8 will be PERFECT. When I want the Axe 2 (mostly in the studio where I want AES I/O for reamping...) the Axe is a more "useful" tool. I too am a worship leader. You did not make a mistake in any way. If I had to have only one, it would be the Axe just for those few things like AES, extra CPU... that it has. So, you bought the best product unless portability is a GIANT factor for you. Having both will be great but there is no way you made any kind of "mistake" here.

Nope.

Think of it this way. If you had an AX8, and read about all the different things to do with the Axe II, you'd say in time 'wish I would have bit the bullet then...' The Ax8 is a great unit, but it's designed for live work primarily. You'll appreciate the extra's.

But you'll probably end up with an AX8 as well all told.

Enjoy.

Mistake? I wouldn't label it as such. Others have already said it, but it makes more sense if you're both recording and playing live to just get the full unit.

I haven't yet bought an MFC. Now that's a mistake :D

Even though the XL+ is a bit more to move around that the AX8, it's still amazingly small when you consider its capabilities. I think you'll be glad you went top of the line.

it's like asking is that Toyota celica better than that lexus i just bought...

I think it's more like the difference between a Lexus RX and a Lexus LX. Both are premium models, just one is premium-er. :)

I have both the Axe II/ MFC and the AX8 - and my AX8 resides in another place.

The Axe FX II / MFC is a far more versatile setup, with more features and functionality, but it's also much more money.

Did you make a mistake? No, you got more for what you paid.

Could you have gotten away with less and paid less? Yes, but you're giving up a number of things to gain some mobility and spend less money...that's about it.

There's no free lunch here. You really won't regret having spent more -

Back
Top Bottom