Dialing in AC/DC Plexi sound at moderate volume

kai_p

Dear all,

I use the FM3 with a SS power amp and 2x12 guitar cab. I want to dial in an AC/DC Plexi preset that sounds and feels good at moderate volume, let's say 75 or 80 dB for use in home basement.

Do you have any hints on how you would do this? How close do you think one can get in terms of sound and feel at this volume?

The more I crank up the volume, the easier it gets to dial in a good preset. However, actual Plexi loudness seems to be over 100 dB, so I can hardly stand that volume in by basement. Also, when I lower the volume again, the sound and feel changes significantly at some point. I tried to compensate with an EQ based on known equal loudness contours for my estimated loudness levels of 75 and above 100 dB, however this does not really seem to work well.

I often hear the best is to dial in things by ear, but in the case of getting a good equal loudness correction via EQ (if this is what I should do) I am a bit lost to be honest. Maybe it is important to at least know how to roughly set the EQ, e.g. "correct from low to high frequencies" or whatever. Until now I did not really get really satisfying results.

Any comments on what you do in this situation would be greatly appreciated. Would be interesting to know how close one can get in terms of sound and feel at moderate loudness.

To me an AC/DC tone depending on the era and whos tone your going after is either an SG or a Gretsch through a Plexi with light gain just add volume to fit your SPL requirements! That's the beauty of that tone there is nothing special in the signal chain other then the equipment already mentioned.

It does come alive at a certain volume level. At home I try not to blast the whole street. I usually play at 85-90db which isn’t super loud but is still fun and sounds good. My ears are getting bad anyhow so I don’t crank it at the house. I do that at other peoples houses instead haha. But you get used to it and it seems normal after awhile. I play AC/DC stuff all the time but have never had a moment where I thought I had that sound. But I don’t have a SG or a Gretsch either. They just plugged into cranked Marshalls and that’s it. And not really as distorted as you think. You can hear the strings. So it should be easy to get that tone but it’s not. Best luck and share the preset when you have it. I saw a post from someone who mentioned a compensation eq for the Fletcher Munson curve recently. Can’t remember who. Something like that might be handy. Just make it sound good at your regular volume, that’s all that really matters.

Try increasing the Gain Enhancer setting in the outboard compressor tab. I believe it’s in the amp section. I don’t quite understand the mechanics of that parameter, but I believe it mimics the interaction of the guitar with a really loud amp in the room.

It makes it feel like you’re plugged into a really loud amp. Hard to explain. You have to feel it and hear it for yourself. Try lower settings and slowly turn up in increments. I set mine at “4” to help get the live Clapton/Cream tones where his amp sounds like it’s really getting pushed hard.

The Plexi is great, but take a listen to that JCM 800 model in there too. You may find that you like that one better for what you're looking to do. :)

Try increasing the Gain Enhancer setting in the outboard compressor tab. I believe it’s in the amp section. I don’t quite understand the mechanics of that parameter, but I believe it mimics the interaction of the guitar with a really loud amp in the room.

It makes it feel like you’re plugged into a really loud amp. Hard to explain. You have to feel it and hear it for yourself. Try lower settings and slowly turn up in increments. I set mine at “4” to help get the live Clapton/Cream tones where his amp sounds like it’s really getting pushed hard.

FM3 has the gain enhancer? I’ll look for it tomorrow when I’m off shift.

Live anyway, Angus typically uses Super Leads or Plexis with a hot input from his vintage wireless (sometimes Wizard amps too), so you can use a clean boost or something to hit V1 hard, then moderate gain on the amp's controls, presence low (get the brightness needed from your IR(s)/Mic Position(s), and a HPF).

He gets a lot of his sustain from volume LOL!

Rigs

I set mine at “4” to help get the live Clapton/Cream tones where his amp sounds like it’s really getting pushed hard.

I dial mine in at 1 - 2 to get some subtle bump in the midrange/sustain. I guess it's a matter of taste, and how much you are pushing the output tubes. I tend to use less on clean/EOB amps that pound the power tubes, and more on amps like the IIC+ Boogie that is mostly a hot, overdriven preamp and clean output section vibe....

I dial mine in at 1 - 2 to get some subtle bump in the midrange/sustain. I guess it's a matter of taste, and how much you are pushing the output tubes. I tend to use less on clean/EOB amps that pound the power tubes, and more on amps like the IIC+ Boogie that is mostly a hot, overdriven preamp and clean output section vibe....
I’m addicted to what it does for sustained single notes. It emphasizes the bloom and really helps hold the sustain.

Back
Top Bottom