DI boxes for acoustics with active pickup system and AX8

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, I have been looking at these and reading up. But then I said to myself, Self, I think you already have the greatest direct box for an acoustic guitar that anyone could want.

So, is that statement correct as far as the DI boxes I see online, etc?

Thanks
Frank

Since you guys are on this topic, post up some acoustic presets. I have a bunch of gigs coming up where I have to play a lot of travis picking stuff. I'm planning on using the AX8 and the factory acoustic preset. But if anyone has presets or suggestions I'm all ears.

Also, I bought one of these, but I'm still having significant feedback issues:
717OMhvh6JL._SX355_.jpg

I use Glenn Delaune's preset from the AxeChange - it's called GD Acoustic I think. Works well for me. Where'd you get that sound hold cover? I have one like it but want to get another one. Thanks!
Since you guys are on this topic, post up some acoustic presets. I have a bunch of gigs coming up where I have to play a lot of travis picking stuff. I'm planning on using the AX8 and the factory acoustic preset. But if anyone has presets or suggestions I'm all ears.

Also, I bought one of these, but I'm still having significant feedback issues:
717OMhvh6JL._SX355_.jpg

I use Glenn Delaune's preset from the AxeChange - it's called GD Acoustic I think. Works well for me. Where'd you get that sound hold cover? I have one like it but want to get another one. Thanks!

I use the AX8 as my DI box for all my acoustic needs. That includes steel string, nylon string, and even banjo. Not only does this avoid having to run another XLR cable and use a DI box, but it makes it easy to create presets for each instrument and tweak the sound to optimize each. Check out this tutorial for tone matching your acoustic instruments to a mic'd sound on the AX8 -
(Hey Smitterfar, is that your vid? If so thanks!). Creating your own tone match is going to sound way better than trying to use a match someone else created with a different instrument and pickup system. And the ability to create presets with EQ, IR's, and effects makes the AX8 orders of magnitude better than using even the most high end DI box.

As far as feed back control, here are few strategies I've used:
  1. Use the PEQ block on your preset to kill problematic frequencies
  2. Get one of those feedback buster sound hole plugs
  3. Some of the newer mixers (like the Soundcraft Ui24r) have build in automatic feedback suppression that does a surprisingly good job.

I use the AX8 as my DI box for all my acoustic needs. That includes steel string, nylon string, and even banjo. Not only does this avoid having to run another XLR cable and use a DI box, but it makes it easy to create presets for each instrument and tweak the sound to optimize each. Check out this tutorial for tone matching your acoustic instruments to a mic'd sound on the AX8 -
(Hey Smitterfar, is that your vid? If so thanks!). Creating your own tone match is going to sound way better than trying to use a match someone else created with a different instrument and pickup system. And the ability to create presets with EQ, IR's, and effects makes the AX8 orders of magnitude better than using even the most high end DI box.

As far as feed back control, here are few strategies I've used:
  1. Use the PEQ block on your preset to kill problematic frequencies
  2. Get one of those feedback buster sound hole plugs
  3. Some of the newer mixers (like the Soundcraft Ui24r) have build in automatic feedback suppression that does a surprisingly good job.

I have a tutorial from another guy, it's aold but excellent. This one is good also. I have most of the Izotope plugs so I can do this pretty easy. If you had not mentioned I doubt I would have remembered. Thanks for posting.

Also, my acoustic sounds really good with nothing but an EQ and filter. I will fool around with this...................thanks again

@Mark Scrivener - Yup I made that one :) I agree with everything you write. The AX8 is a perfect one-stop-shop for fantastic acoustic tones - If you are performing by yourself or with just a singer, it is hard to resist bathing your acoustic sound in a bit of South Church Reverb.

Not sure I want to run it through the AX8? Might have my other guitarist use it from time to time. I may just go with a much simpler DI, like the LL Baggs? That Fishman has a compressor and a tuner which might come in handy.

With my guitar, the Radial PZ pre sounded much more natural than the LR Baggs Venue. I though the Venue has a very forced and hard sound especially in the higher mids.
I tried the Fishman as well (I owned the the other two). I liked the sound of the Fishman, but it was much more prone to feedback than all the other preamps/DIs i tried that day (I think I tried like 14 different ones that day).
Another option is something like the DPA gooseneck mic - It sounds much better than any DI solution.

I haven't come across anything I like nearly as much as the AX8 for acoustic guitars. Even a mediocre piezo can be wrangled into very respectable shape. The FAS factory acoustic preset is a good place to start.

I have the guitar pre set flat - and do all the EQ on the AX8. I typically use the tube pre and the null IR. I often use the modeled RCA tube instead of the Sylvania. The studio compressor set to just reduce the peaks (ratio of 3 at -15db threshold and mixed in at 67%) sounds very natural. I won't get into the PEQ - that's the most involved and is very instrument dependent: but mostly it comes to a slight notch or two to cut resonant peaks and the usual high and low end treatment. Usually the order is: Amp - Compressor - PEQ - Cabinet - Enhancer. No fixed order for the effects - sometimes the PEQ and/or the compressor sound better before the amp: The null IR allows for adjusting the proximity frequency and amount for the desired amount of low end girth. The Enhancer at the end of the chain opens the space up (in stereo). Chorus and reverb can be added if desired for an effected sound.

A Hohner Eclipse 12 String with its respectable Axiom pre really shines when amplified. I prefer the AX8 processed sound to even putting a mic on this guitar for live use: and its so much easier. Other instruments require substantially different PEQ settings; but seems to me the flexibility is there to come up with a variety of fine solutions: You can get "the sound of the guitar" or do something different.

Last edited:
I just used the AX8 for an acoustic gig and I was reminded how fantastic it works in that context. I pulled it off my big PT Pro board and this was actually the first time I used it “naked” in the two years I’ve owned it.

With the tube preamp, surgical EQ, optical compression, IR if you want it, a glorious reverb block, and tons of other goodies, I think I’d always prefer the AX8 for an acoustic over any of the dedicated acoustic DIs. It makes my LR Baggs Anthem pickup come to life.

Back
Top Bottom