Define"open"

Open to me means an uncompressed and bright top end. Kinda the opposite to warm and muddy, but not an ice-pick :p

What is the difference between "open", "soundstage height", "soundstage depth" and "soundstage width"? (3 terms frequently used by audiophiles)

:rolleyes:

Like you open a door or window. The sound blooms and is not bouncing all over killing itself. Play the same rig in a small sealed room, then go outside or to a large venue and play the same rig. Generally it will sound brighter and less boomy, but the full range will stil be present. The lows that are resonating all through the solid objects and walls of the small room, will still be there in the large space, but only get heard once or twice per note. Think of how sound waves replicate and bounce around, and how low range travels further. At a certain point of sound space, the highs will begin to bloom, where the bouncing lows are not replicating in your ears.

You can simulate this effect in a small properly treated room, with certain freq. cuts/boosts, depeding on the space and gear used. Generally resulting in what would be described as a brighter tone, but lacking in bass response.

Wide is my best bet
Wide implies headroom and allows you to express yourself, you obtain diferent results depending on the way you're hitting the strings. This gives you freedom and variety.

To me it also means to have natural and unobstructed high end.
Some people like to cut a lot of highs our of their sound, which can make your tones sound congested.
If you choose the right guitar, amp model, amount of gain (important) and cab, you should be able to get a nice and 'open' tone.

Hopefully, this clears things up.

It all began when I built this preset the other day and started with a nice fat/round tone. I reduced bass/low mids and all of a sudden I had this amazingly tight tone. I then bumped up the mids and bass and had such a huge chunky tone. Now I just couldn't stop there, I added more gain and all of a sudden it all became muddy. I then raised the bass level and had this flabby sound, what must I do? More gain less bass but it was still boomy/woofy. I had an epiphany and engaged low cut and bumped up the presence and now hear this wonderfully crisp tone. I engaged the high cut and my tone went dark. I sculpted the lows and mids with the graphic eq and wallah a nice throaty sound. All of a sudden I remembered Metallica so I had to adjust eq and get that scooped tone we all love. I engaged the bright switch and heard this beautiful - you guessed it "bright tone". I then noticed the presence parameter had more range so I turned it and the sound really became articulate. I added more treble but the sound became so harsh/piercing/ice-picky. With much ear fatigue I worked into the late hours of the evening but alas I still had this brittle tone. Then I remembered the bright switch and highcut, with them off I had such a velvety smooth vibe happening. The rabbit hole had turned into a black hole I just couldn't escape so I disengaged the compressor and had such an extended frequency range. I had also turned off the noise gate but couldn't deal with the hiss I was hearing. I turn the gate back on, add an expander and hear this giant open sound. There was so much bite I still have teeth mark impressions on my ass. Is this amazingly crunchy tone what angels sound like when they sing? No, the preamp tube type had to be changed for more a vintage and not modern voiced tone. I couldn't decide if it had made the sound more Fendery or Marshally ? A British or an American tone? What shall I do? I tried the studio compressor and upped the gain, all of a sudden my tone was so compressed, and punchy at the same time. Careful tweaking of the mids gave me such a woody and organic tone. Now the sound was so bluesy!! After all this hard work I just couldn't get the amp in the room sound from my monitors, had I done something wrong? I decided to use factory preset one at rehearsal, since I'm sure no one could understand the complexities of tone as I do. YMMV!

To me it's like a thing that can't be fully explained but "I recognise it when I hear it". A thing that must be experienced to fully understand. Like when I'm out to buy a jacket. I don't know exactly what I'm after but I know when I see it.
Matt's description was maybe the closest.

I see the term "open" thrown around constantly in reference to sound. i.e. "Reducing this parameter gives a more open sound". What exactly is being referred to by "open"?
I've often wondered about this myself, along with compression which is one of those effects I don't think I will ever really understand, either why it is used or what it really does.

Back
Top Bottom