Default output level of the Axe-Fx III is lower than the Axe-Fx II

thanks unix-guy, it's appreciated. I think the isssue though is that the entire signal is going out via USB and returning via USB. When it returns to the Axe via USB to be monitored there is a loss of level, it's just lower after it comes back in. So USB levels are great into / out Ableton, and Ableton is not attenuating level. It seems like the Axe is lowering the USB level on returns in. This is seen in the metering on the Axe Output 3/4. Every attempt to use the Axe to attenuate USB doesn't seem to fix the problem but I am probably missing something in the Axe

thanks unix-guy, it's appreciated. I think the isssue though is that the entire signal is going out via USB and returning via USB. When it returns to the Axe via USB to be monitored there is a loss of level, it's just lower after it comes back in. So USB levels are great into / out Ableton, and Ableton is not attenuating level. It seems like the Axe is lowering the USB level on returns in. This is seen in the metering on the Axe Output 3/4. Every attempt to use the Axe to attenuate USB doesn't seem to fix the problem but I am probably missing something in the Axe
There are global settings for USB levels...

"They aren't really designed for that. If you want more signal at those outputs you need to put those Output blocks in the preset and increase the Level in the block. Outputs 3 & 4 are primarily intended to be unity gain outputs for fx loop use."

Ahh... I've been trying to figure this out on a different thread: why my Output out of 3/4 is so low, although its coming out of USB which has a full level. It sounds like I have no choice but to: insert an extra block on every Patch I've created and then increase the gain to keep the level where it needs to be. A few questions: about how much db should I add when doing this; will it create added noise to the signal; and is there an easy way to do it for so many patches? Can I take OUT 1 and put a block After it that it goes into that is a Block for OUT 2? Or some other fashion? Your help is greatly appreciated!

"They aren't really designed for that. If you want more signal at those outputs you need to put those Output blocks in the preset and increase the Level in the block. Outputs 3 & 4 are primarily intended to be unity gain outputs for fx loop use."

Ahh... I've been trying to figure this out on a different thread: why my Output out of 3/4 is so low, although its coming out of USB which has a full level. It sounds like I have no choice but to: insert an extra block on every Patch I've created and then increase the gain to keep the level where it needs to be. A few questions: about how much db should I add when doing this; will it create added noise to the signal; and is there an easy way to do it for so many patches? Can I take OUT 1 and put a block After it that it goes into that is a Block for OUT 2? Or some other fashion? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Can you please describe what your setup is and what you're actually trying to accomplish?

You can route USB audio directly to Output 1 or 2. Output 2 can also be set to "Copy Output 1" in the global I/O menu.

Can you please describe what your setup is and what you're actually trying to accomplish?

You can route USB audio directly to Output 1 or 2. Output 2 can also be set to "Copy Output 1" in the global I/O menu.
Sorry, I began this on a different thread. I have output going into USB and when it returns from USB is routed to Outputs 3 & 4. When I do this the level is full.. until it returns from USB and goes into the Axe; it drops level there and becomes quite anemic. From my reply to the Moderator., Page 1 of this thread, (which for some reason posted here on page 7, sorry) Moderator states the quote above: that "Outputs 3 & 4 are primarily intended to be unity gain outputs for fx loop use". I'm taking this as meaning that by routing to Outs 3 & 4 ther is not going to be enough gain.. unless I insert an OUT 2 Block... all my Blocks are setup to go to OUT 1. SO my questions were referring to that. Again, have no idea why it won't post as reply to him on Page 1 of this thread.

Sorry, I began this on a different thread. I have output going into USB and when it returns from USB is routed to Outputs 3 & 4. When I do this the level is full.. until it returns from USB and goes into the Axe; it drops level there and becomes quite anemic. From my reply to the Moderator., Page 1 of this thread, (which for some reason posted here on page 7, sorry) Moderator states the quote above: that "Outputs 3 & 4 are primarily intended to be unity gain outputs for fx loop use". I'm taking this as meaning that by routing to Outs 3 & 4 ther is not going to be enough gain.. unless I insert an OUT 2 Block... all my Blocks are setup to go to OUT 1. SO my questions were referring to that. Again, have no idea why it won't post as reply to him on Page 1 of this thread.
Turn up the Level parameter on Output 3 block as mentioned in my earlier reply.

When you reply to someone the messages go to the end of the thread - that's how forums work.

It's best to use the Reply button - that will quote what you are responding to so that a) the person you're replying to knows you replied and b) the others in the thread have some context of what you are saying.

Thanks, will do. As I mentioned in my earlier posts, my Presets are all set up using OUT 1. ) There are currently no OUTPUT 3 Blocks in any of my presets). So I was asking if there is a simple way to add an OUT 3 Block to every preset; and if by doing this and increasing its output gain if I will be increasing noise floor.

So I was asking if there is a simple way to add an OUT 3 Block to every preset...
@AlGrenadine 's FracTool can automate tasks like that. Otherwise. it's a manual operation.

...and if by doing this and increasing its output gain if I will be increasing noise floor.
Whenever you increase the gain on any audio device, you increase the noise floor. It's an unavoidable fact of physics. Whether that increase will be audible is a different question. While you increase the noise floor, you're also increasing your desired signal, so the signal-to-noise ratio will often stay the same.

Of course. But if I were using OUT 1 I would not have a need to increase gain. I'm trying to match its repsonse and therefore the question is relative. Its a question for the designers of the system which know precisely the difference between the two stagings, not a hypothetical question about the nature of noise floors. If you have any thoughts on the other part of my question, easy method to insert an extra OUTPUT block into numerous patches, it's appreciated.

Rex, many thanks, had no idea FracTool can do that, I've used Fractal Bot and Axe Edit but not FracTool, still quite new to the Axe3. Will check it out.

Thanks, will do. As I mentioned in my earlier posts, my Presets are all set up using OUT 1. ) There are currently no OUTPUT 3 Blocks in any of my presets). So I was asking if there is a simple way to add an OUT 3 Block to every preset; and if by doing this and increasing its output gain if I will be increasing noise floor.
Ok... You mentioned several times that USB was going to Output 3. That confused me.

Any reason you don't just use Output 2 since you're using only Output 1?

Also, in a recent FM3 discussion it sounded like Cliff may be adding a similar option for output levels to the -10/+4 for Output 2 of the FM3, which is basically the same as 3/4 on the Axe Fx... So hopefully in the near future you may have the on the Axe Fx III for 3/4.

Should I switch mine to +4 if using the Matrix Gemini II? Will it make a huge difference in feel or will it just increase the volume ? I’m not unhappy with the tones but if this can make them better why not.

Should I switch mine to +4 if using the Matrix Gemini II? Will it make a huge difference in feel or will it just increase the volume ? I’m not unhappy with the tones but if this can make them better why not.
Increasing volume will definitely change the feel. :)

As for what you "should do," you should try it both ways and see which you like better.

They aren't really designed for that. If you want more signal at those outputs you need to put those Output blocks in the preset and increase the Level in the block.

Outputs 3 & 4 are primarily intended to be unity gain outputs for fx loop use.
Unbeatable logic, is this also true for Axe Fx II and FM3 ?

Sorry...please read "between Outputs 1&2"
On the Axe III, Outputs 1 & 2 have the same output specs.

On the FM3, Output 2 behaves like the Axe III’s Outputs 3 & 4, except when the device is set to echo Output 1 to Output 2. In that case, it behaves like Output 2 on the Axe II.

Back
Top Bottom