Def Leppard - "Foolin'" Preset Added!

I really don't know what I do different? If anything? I can tell you that it's not a 'one shot' deal. It's a long process sometimes. I do some research and try to find out what was used on the original recording. I listen really, really close to the track to see what I can pick up. I've been doing that all of my life and have gotten pretty good at picking things out through the mix. Stem tracks really validated what I thought I was hearing.

I run the tone match dozens of times, trying different settings in the tone match block. When I get something that sounds good, I temporarily save it in the tone match 'block library', then audition them all and pick the best one. Sometimes I use a cab block before the tone match block and use the tone match block 'graph' to tell me where I need to EQ the amp block and then use the tone match as a final EQ tweak. The less the tone match block has to do the better the results sometimes. A few time I have applied EQ to the 'source' track that I'm matching.

Sometimes I do the hole tone match process, save it as an IR, load that IR into a cab block placed right in front of the tone match block, with that cab block active, re-tone match it again, save that one as a final EQ IR, then load the two IRs into two cab blocks in series, run a sine wave sweep through them into the tone match block to make a new single IR (I made a couple of 'IR mixer' presets for this before the days of 'Cab Lab')......................There's more:eek:

I would like to do a few videos of my tone matching processes someday

I really don't know what I do different? If anything? I can tell you that it's not a 'one shot' deal. It's a long process sometimes. I do some research and try to find out what was used on the original recording. I listen really, really close to the track to see what I can pick up. I've been doing that all of my life and have gotten pretty good at picking things out through the mix. Stem tracks really validated what I thought I was hearing.

I run the tone match dozens of times, trying different settings in the tone match block. When I get something that sounds good, I temporarily save it in the tone match 'block library', then audition them all and pick the best one. Sometimes I use a cab block before the tone match block and use the tone match block 'graph' to tell me where I need to EQ the amp block and then use the tone match as a final EQ tweak. The less the tone match block has to do the better the results sometimes. A few time I have applied EQ to the 'source' track that I'm matching.

Sometimes I do the hole tone match process, save it as an IR, load that IR into a cab block placed right in front of the tone match block, with that cab block active, re-tone match it again, save that one as a final EQ IR, then load the two IRs into two cab blocks in series, run a sine wave sweep through them into the tone match block to make a new single IR (I made a couple of 'IR mixer' presets for this before the days of 'Cab Lab')......................There's more:eek:

I would like to do a few videos of my tone matching processes someday
Thank you for this info, I really appreciate it. I like the idea of looking at the tonematch EQ curve and using that as a basis to adjust the amp EQ or an separate post equalizer. This process is more iterative than I thought, which is probably what I need to do to get closer. Is there a way to see the detail of the EQ curve from the tonematch operation (export it to see the actual dB / freq values?) to apply it to a graphic EQ for example?

Is there a way to see the detail of the EQ curve from the tonematch operation (export it to see the actual dB / freq values?) to apply it to a graphic EQ for example?
Not with the Axe-Fx or Axe-Edit that I am aware of (maybe time for a new 'Wish List' thread). I'm sure that 'Ozone' or any of the other EQ matching plugins have that.

BTW.......look up 2 posts.......;)

Last edited:
Not with the Axe-Fx or Axe-Edit that I am aware of (maybe time for a new 'Wish List' thread). I'm sure that 'Ozone' or any of the other EQ matching plugins have that.
Thanks. It's an interesting idea and probably worth a wish list thread.

Moke, you did it. You dit it. Congrats man. There is no limits for your talent.
Thanks pablito............You make me sound like a Super-Hero..........."Tone Match Man"!!....:D
Let me know if the download works and the preset too.

Master Moke, this is awesome, as a relative Axe newbie your pre-sets are teaching me soooo much, many thanks, keep um coming. Love your playing, you sure know your way around a fretboard.

Sounding great Moke! Thanks for sharing the preset. We used to play a couple of songs off of that album, but never Foolin. Guess there's no time like the present to get that one down, too. Cheers. Lee

Master Moke, this is awesome, as a relative Axe newbie your pre-sets are teaching me soooo much, many thanks, keep um coming. Love your playing, you sure know your way around a fretboard.
Thanks Maxsys, If you have any questions about this preset, I will do my best to explain why it is the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom