DeeFlexx - Experiences

mDaniel

Inspired
Hey,

so my review thread excalated quickly into a DeeFlexx discussion thread :D
Everyone who hasn't heard of those spacy UFA landing strip :D - check it out ;-)

What I wrote in the other thread:

For live playing I use a Matrix GT1000FX, a Mesa 112 Thiele and a weird 300$ piece of plastic called "DeeFlexx" (for everyone who didn't check it out. A friend of me told me of that thing and I was like "dude wtf, who would pay 300$ for that shit... then I checked it out - nothing else to say).

Sure, I don't own it for long but it's really really great. I always had the problem of the placement of my cab.

I use a Marshall 1960AV, a Hughes&Kettner GL212 and a Mesa Thiele Compact 112. The 412 on a stand or something was ok, still there was a day/night difference between standing in the beam or not. With the 212 or 112 it was even more extreme. Either you don't hear anything or you stand in the beam and get killed by that massive amount of treble/presence.
With the DeeFlexx the cab just sounds good everywhere. You have no beam any longer and the same sound, no matter where you are on stage or rehearsal room. Plus you don't have to crank your amp. I always had the problem in rehearsal room that my cab stood on the floor (because I really hate hearing the beam) and I had to turn up colume to hear me. And the basser and drummer always complained. With the DeeFlexx I am much quieter AND can hear me much better. Plus it just sounds better. Of course it only improves your monitorsound.

It should also work with FRFR 2-way wedges according to the manufacturer - but I didn't check it out and I don't have a FRFR monitor to do so.

Any one else uses a DeeFlexx? I got the cheaper Aura version which is just fine for me... one of the best purchases I ever made regarding monitoring my sound :)

Daniel

Copying and pasting my First Look review from another thread:

-----

The Deeflexx was delivered today.
Performed a little test. And ...

Yes, it works! :)

Even though I have a slanted 1x12 guitar cab, the sound passes "below" me and is dull / dark when I stand close to the cab.
So I have to tilt the cab (using an amp stand or Standback) or stand away from it.

Now, after adding the Deeflexx, I can stand close to my cab and clearly hear the full range of it.
And when moving around the cab, the tone remains the same.
Haven't tested it with a FR monitor.

It's easy to "install". And it comes with good documentation.

Downsides:
I have to remove the wheels of my cab (no big deal as they are "plug-in").
It's quite expensive.
It's not a handy thing to carry. Doesn't fit in a small case.

Haven't done a full band rehearsal with it yet. That will happen on Thursday.
Will report back after that.

Picture:

Deeflexx.jpg

I tried the DeeFlex and was amazed. The thing is: I don't use a regular cab atm.
It should also work with FRFR 2-way wedges according to the manufacturer - but I didn't check it out and I don't have a FRFR monitor to do so.
So were do they say that? If that's the case I seriously have to consider getting one!

I have one since last week, tested just briefly with my RCF NX12-SMA. It works, BUT the RCF sounds better on axis when used conventionally than with the Deeflexx, beyond the RCF's normal coverage it sounds better with the Deeflexx. For personal monitoring I'd most likely not use it with FRFR, for room coverage (in clubs etc.) this could help though. Because of the hefty price I'm not sure whether I'll keep it...

Rehearsed with it tonight. I stood beside my 1x12 and I could hear everything very well.
Also, band mates complimented with the tone. Which was the same wherever one stood within the room.

Tomorrow another rehearsal, with another band. Another test.

I just got two of these (the cheaper Aura version) to use with one of my vertical 2x12 cabs (which I've placed on its side). They definitely work as advertised, however not without changing the perceived tone markedly. I'm getting noticeably more bottom end and lower mids (predictably, since there is more cab in contact with the floor), but in general I'm not really digging what I'm hearing. Hard to put my finger on it but it's as if suddenly there is less clarity and crispness on the lower strings and all my mid to high gain presets are starting to sound very similar.

I would be interested to know what you guys did with your EQ to get your tone back.

My speakers are 1 V30 + 1 CL80. Closed back cab wired in stereo, dry on one side and wet on the other.

Last edited:
Pardon me if I sound a bit misguided here, but if a cab were correctly engineered the need for these doodads be negated? I ask this because there are cabs out there with almost a 90 degree spread, as opposed to a narrow beam.

Pardon me if I sound a bit misguided here, but if a cab were correctly engineered the need for these doodads be negated? I ask this because there are cabs out there with almost a 90 degree spread, as opposed to a narrow beam.
Duh, yeah. My Carvin TRx12N floor monitors have an 80 degree conical dispersion and none of this nonsense is needed or wanted.

In that sense, there's no such thing as a "correctly-engineered" cab. Guitar cabs ask a 12" speaker to put out sound from the bass region all the way into the treble. High-frequency patterns are going to be very narrow, no matter how you design the cab. You can hear it yourself. Listen to a cab from 30° off-axis, then listen to it again looking straight down the barrel. It'll sound a lot brighter when you're directly in front of it. No 12" speaker can accomplish anything like a 90° spread above 1 KHz.

In that sense, there's no such thing as a "correctly-engineered" cab. Guitar cabs ask a 12" speaker to put out sound from the bass region all the way into the treble. High-frequency patterns are going to be very narrow, no matter how you design the cab. You can hear it yourself. Listen to a cab from 30° off-axis, then listen to it again looking straight down the barrel. It'll sound a lot brighter when you're directly in front of it. No 12" speaker can accomplish anything like a 90° spread above 1 KHz.

Duh, yeah. My Carvin TRx12N floor monitors have an 80 degree conical dispersion and none of this nonsense is needed or wanted.

Have you tried the Matrix CFR12s yet. My experience of them bares evidence to them being able to do an 80 degree spread, and I noticed no difference. Even our highly sarcastic friend, t0aj15, reports that the Carvin manage the same result. Now I don't know if it is because Matrix co-axially mount the the speakers, but it works.

Talk of monitors is all well and good but doesn't address the fact that I need to reach the audience with my backline without separate monitors.

At the gig this weekend my 1x12 was right behind me on the floor, at a meter distance. The Deeflexx let me hear everything well, where previously the sound would pass below my knees. 'Nonsense'? Not really.

Have you tried the Matrix CFR12s yet. My experience of them bares evidence to them being able to do an 80 degree spread, and I noticed no difference. Even our highly sarcastic friend, t0aj15, reports that the Carvin manage the same result. Now I don't know if it is because Matrix co-axially mount the the speakers, but it works.
The CFR12 isn't a guitar cab; it's a two-way wide-response monitor, not a single 12" speaker. There's a tweeter in there, too.

Back
Top Bottom