Dad Jokes

Teacher to Class: All right, class, can someone spell the word, "apple"?
Girl up front: "A-p-p-l-e. Apple."
Teacher: Very good. Can someone spell, apricot?
Tiny girl with big smile back row: "A-p-r-i-c-o-t. Apricot."
Teacher: Wonderful! Can someone spell "Surveillance"?
Boy to one side raises his hand high and is almost bursting with zeal
Teacher points to him and says, "Yes, José?"
José says, "That used to be my wi-fi name, "Surveillance Van."
I don't know how to spell it, but my current wi-fi name is "I-t-h-u-r-t-s-w-h-e-n-I-P."
Know that has me still chuckling good one Bob. :)

I have sorrowful news for my friends who enjoy my kitchen cooking...while using a grinder attachment for my stand mixer, the mixer motor began making loud scraping noises that have never occurred before when grinding meat. Previously, I've used the stand mixer for periods of time without incident; the mixer is over 15 years old and has served me well. Because I was able to complete only half of my task until the mixer gave out, it seems that a replacement is required. That means the Xmas bonus (choice baked goods) for my coworkers will need to be reassessed for cost overhead and adjusted accordingly. Misguided as this seems, it's my only choice until alternatives can be determined.

Yes, will be cranking out the brownies and cookies again soon. My feeling is that my coworkers could use the burst of energy with their daily dose of coffee. Because of my personal beliefs, I don't celebrate Xmas like most folks do, but my preference is to gift people small tokens of appreciation throughout the year. My boss was appreciative for my previous batch of cookies; and kindly said, "No, they didn't suck. They were actually pretty good."

If your job gets up your nose, picket!
Actually, my job is comparatively enjoyable. I make sure to brown bag a sandwich for dinner (mostly 2nd shift work), bring a couple bottles of carbonated water (for any work-related/stomach issues), and work mostly separately unless coworkers are needed to fill in when workload increases.

My job is mostly sales and cash-handling, as well as fronting product and keeping the store clean for the morning shift. The routine is basically the same each day, except the names and faces of the patrons are hardly ever the same. There are loyal patrons who frequent our store we've enjoyed a rapport with over the years.

And occasionally, there's the person who's had a bad day comes in and makes it difficult for us. Thankfully, we're trained to handle most issues instead of being cold-hearted, and it speaks well of us when we can turn a frown around into an appreciative patron.

Many times, it's when folks have not yet enjoyed a decent meal from the time they finish work, through rush hour traffic, until they make it home safely that folks are most focused on getting in and out and not wishing to make small talk. They can be abrupt. They don't like waiting in line for too long. Tempers are often shortest at these times.

Truthfully, if it weren't for the fact that most adults are pretty good at demonstrating a healthy amount of self-control and self-restraint, and because it is possible to rise to the occasion and go the extra mile for people, I'd still not enjoy my job as much as currently.

I'm not highly paid, but make enough to make ends meet. My job requires me to stand for several hours until a 15 minute dinner break (a sandwich and beverage is enough to be sustaining), then several more hours of working the sales floor until store close.

We have a comparatively diverse variety of people who visit our store, and sometimes, in all honesty, there are times I might not feel especially comfortable serving them. Not many folks, just the ones who are twice my size and have biceps the size of my car's front fender. These are the folks I don't know enough about to feel confident with. Perhaps you have your own stories of how you cope with times you've felt uncomfortable.

Anyway, if my job gets up in my grill, my usual reply is, "How would you like your receipt?" Only once did someone catch me off-guard by saying, "Medium-rare, hold the onions, thanks." We both laughed and I said, "So that's why the shoe laces, then..."

Back
Top Bottom