Cygnus Beta - first impressions

Thank you on behalf of the Hungarians! I
can not speak English! Unfortunately!
Therefore, for those who understand, it is easier to write in their mother tongue.
Maybe you know Hungarian?
Is there any connection to Hungarian?
I have lived in Hungary Eger and Budapest for 3 years, even worked for Periferic Records and performed on many tv channels that time as I recorded my first instrumental Album in Pstudio with some fine Hungarian musicians.... thanks to Szekeres Tamas..... but this is all off topic..23 years of relation with my ex girlfriend from Hungary so spent lots of time there.. END 🙏🏼

Yesterday I made a demo video for the Danelectro '59 Divine. I used FW: 16.00 beta to call up four amp models I thought might fit the demo: Band Commander, Tweed Deluxe, Small Box and AC-20 12AX7 Treble. These have enjoyed significant upgrades in Cygnus as have all of the amp models. @FractalAudio has given me permission to share that video here for those who may be interested so I'll leave you with the full, chatty, Dano-centric version and also an abridged version which cuts the chat and gets to the amps. You guys really are in for a treat with Cygnus. It's takes us into a much deeper modelling dimension in my opinion. Amazing stuff. Anyway...

Full Dano video demo. (Public):

Abridged version with amp-type annotation (Unlisted):

That sounds fantastic, Burgs stuff is consistently great sounding but this makes me even more excited for this new stuff - And that SmallBox sounded killer,

When I was researching my options, trying to decide between buying a used AF2, new AF3, or maybe even the FM3, I weighed a lot of factors. Ultimately I decided on the flagship AF3. From reading this thread, I've just discovered another reason that makes me glad I decided on the AF3: It gets FW updates before the FM3, so it appears. I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere on the Fractal site, but if it was, I would've spent a lot less time deciding which unit to buy. Just a thought. Not in any way meant to be a dig on FM3 owners. This FW update sounds like a game-changer, so..., I have no questions whatsoever. I'm fine with waiting whatever time is needed, to accommodate however long it takes to ensure everything works as intended, because whatever magic you guys have to do to make this happen, it sounds quite complex.

Yesterday I made a demo video for the Danelectro '59 Divine. I used FW: 16.00 beta to call up four amp models I thought might fit the demo: Band Commander, Tweed Deluxe, Small Box and AC-20 12AX7 Treble. These have enjoyed significant upgrades in Cygnus as have all of the amp models. @FractalAudio has given me permission to share that video here for those who may be interested so I'll leave you with the full, chatty, Dano-centric version and also an abridged version which cuts the chat and gets to the amps. You guys really are in for a treat with Cygnus. It's takes us into a much deeper modelling dimension in my opinion. Amazing stuff. Anyway...

Full Dano video demo. (Public):

Abridged version with amp-type annotation (Unlisted):

Awesome Burgs! Would love to hear your Danos (I own the black 59 version ... I know you have the 6 string creamsicle and 12 string versions) going through the improved Cygnus Supro amp model(s) using the various Supro IR's (15" 12" 6x9" speakers)!

Awesome Burgs! Would love to hear your Danos (I own the black 59 version ... I know you have the 6 string creamsicle and 12 string versions) going through the improved Cygnus Supro amp model(s) using the various Supro IR's (15" 12" 6x9" speakers)!
Not only do the amps sound incredible, the interaction with the drive pedals seems way more realistic and toneful than anything I've heard before. Simply amazing.

I have lived in Hungary Eger and Budapest for 3 years, even worked for Periferic Records and performed on many tv channels that time as I recorded my first instrumental Album in Pstudio with some fine Hungarian musicians.... thanks to Szekeres Tamas..... but this is all off topic..23 years of relation with my ex girlfriend from Hungary so spent lots of time there.. END 🙏🏼
23 years is a very beautiful time with a woman!
Congratulations! I'm sorry it's over!
Then you already know the Hungarians well.
I live in Sopron! Visit me!
True, I do not speak English!
But I have a 9 year old grandson!
She already speaks English perfectly! He will be my interpreter!

As i have said before, Burgs could play a freakin diddly bow and make me want to buy one. I have never given a Danelectro a second thought until I heard Burgs play through a couple of them a while back and now this one as well. Killin me man!

As i have said before, Burgs could play a freakin diddly bow and make me want to buy one. I have never given a Danelectro a second thought until I heard Burgs play through a couple of them a while back and now this one as well. Killin me man!
Agreed. Some of the folks here (Burgs, Leon, Fremen, Camilo and so many others) just have truly magic hands.

Agreed. Some of the folks here (Burgs, Leon, Fremen, Camilo and so many others) just have truly magic hands.
I will third that statement. It’s hard to come up with a better demo then what @Burgs puts out. I have bought three guitars on his recommendation, and I have been happy with all three of them!

1) Charvell Pro Mod 7 string
2) Johnny Marr fender Jag
3) Music Man Albert Lee HH
all great guitars!!

What I am more interested in is to hear an A-B comparison between Ares and Cygnus. We currently don't have any real comparison
And considering how relatively minor differences often are, it may not be easy for people to recognize differences from isolated clips. Confirmation bias easily kicks in otherwise.

I've had the experience during testing often enough where people "heard" significant changes, attributed them to what they were told had changed, but it was essentially more or less the same stuff reaching their ears.

Not that I don't think Chungus will bring on important changes. But I am not confident saying much about the clips I've heard so far, even if they sound great.

Heck. Even with A-B comparisons, it's possible that the changes, in a given case, are relatively minor in the sense that they are hard to consistently spot in blind tests but nonetheless make for a significant "feel" difference to many.

Which is why "feel" tests are also valuable for me. They are just not easy to replicate online for an audience to participate. But there's interesting tests to be had there as well.

Waiting for Chungus, with a lab coat on.

Last edited:
I just finished up the Mesa Mark models and fixing some mistakes in the Triaxis models. My lead tone in the 80s/90s was Triaxis LD2 Yellow so I dialed that up and got instantly transported back in time.

The other thing I'm noticing is that it seems I can use almost any IR now and it sounds good.
Since you are a “Boogie” guy, do you have any tips on getting the classic 80s Boogie Tones? IR recommendations, etc

Back
Top Bottom