Cygnus /Austin buddy

HI all:

I've been working most every night on the Cygnus LiveGold update for Axe-Fx III and in a week (or two worse case) Bank 1 Marshall-styles will be all updated and I'll put that "Partial update" in yall's downloads area.

A few things:

Cygnus changes the power amp modeling. With some amp models that's a big change in sound, with others, not so much. The new Freidmans are killer IMHO.

But usually the Gain structure (possibly Input Gain/Drive, and more likely the Master volumes) have to be slightly adjusted if you update to Cygnus, then you have to fix the LEVEL to compensate. I am finding have to add 2 db or so to existing LEVEL, give or take, to some updated Cygnus amps, but some amps don't need any LEVEL tweak - varies by map model. So, if you preset sound "weak" after updating to Cygnus, try raising the LEVEL by 1 or 2 db and see if the preset "wake ups" again.

Cygnus is "thicker" on the bottom and lower mids, so in contrast if you A/B them side-by-side, yes firmware 15 is more "edgier" with more mids or higher kids (but that is also possible perception issue, due to less bass being present).

So far (Marshall amps focus), I think Cygnus sounds amazing and more like a real amp than even firmware 15, but that does not mean firmware 15 sounds "bad" - it works fine and sounds good to me, certainly gig-worthy.

So if you "reset" the amp block using the Axe-Fx III Editor, under Cygnus, a lot of the LiveGold's custom preset settings (some detailed below) go away...

Some of these changes I make when programming may include:

Depth - will tweak sometimes to control bass/bottom end, usually lowering it, I rarely add it.

Presence -- when you do a default, it resets back to 5 default (I think). Presence control in some amps under Cygnus seems to have a more powerful (like Friedmans) effect on overall tone than it did in firmware 15. Negative feedback, which I never touch, can too.

Saturation drive amount is set somewhere less than the default amp reset of 4 in most cases, I have to check these all over again, because some need different vales under Cygnus than firmware 15, else turning it on (via CS5) the preset becomes too loud,

Sometimes (rarely) I lower the default Brite cap value to get the bright and dirt amount where I want it,

The preamp boost amount in db (usually set it to less than 12 db default value)...

On about 30% of the presets I will change the default Speaker Impedance Curve type to a choice I favor that matches my selected CAB IR better, and this can have BIG impact on tone EQ especially bottom end or top, and sometimes (rarer) I will play with the Lo and Hi Freq Res to get it "right.". A lot of time was spent "auditioning" various speaker impedance curves preset by preset in making the original LiveGold presets ya'll use.

I set Speaker Compression to zero usually (and a reset will move it to 1.0). The new speaker compression algorithm is more to my liking than the old one, and now I may be adding a "smidgeon" of that (like I'm not kidding, 0.10 maybe and that's it) for some amps, just to take a slight edge off. I usually like it at zero because I FEEL the note more immediately (stiffly?) as I play, and the old speaker comp "felt like" it added some unneeded time lag to me, but some like it softer attack than stiff, so you can dial to taste (they higher you go, the more you have to up the LEVEL to compensate).

Input EQ (low cut) I will play with that value scene by scene sometimes, rather than default amp value, to stop any flubby bass as again goes; the more the gain in the scene/amp, the more likely I will raise it above 100Hz.

Output Compression - I will add 0.25 to cleans just so they shimmer longer, just a little

Input Dynamics - on the boutique amps I may add a little, less <1.

On EVH plexis I may set variac lower than 100%.

While I am not touching it in updates, changing the power tube bias in Cygnus from default to something higher (wow - you can intentionally red plate the tubes!) really affects the tone, pretty cool, check that out for the Marshall-style amps in bank 1 under Cygnus, as well as the Grid Bias and Master Grid - just little movements there can really open an amp up further.

I'll note those options in the partial update release notes and final release notes for LiveGold for Cygnus.

If you only have a handful of "must use" presets from Live Gold and you want to update to Cygnus, if you copy the above parameter's values before you reset and then re-input those same values, then after tweak the Gain/BMT/Pres slightly and LEVEL to average -12db on a sustained "A" chord, you should be fine.
Hello Austin!

I bought a Naked Amps Tone Pack.
Will there be a Cygnus update?
Thanks for the reply.

Hello Austin!

I bought a Naked Amps Tone Pack.
Will there be a Cygnus update?
Thanks for the reply.
For the 1000+ one for Axe-Fx III, eventually yes , but not for many months, I have several others to do before I can get to Naked Amps update, and I just had finished Naked Amps update to firmware 15 with changes end of last year..

Last edited:
Hi Austin ,
New Fw day … and Beta ,
Does it mean that you ll have to redo your previous work ……???
I sure hope not - probably not, based on what I am reading about it this morning. Bank 1 is about 1/2 finished, so it would only force a re-work of that if needed. I'll be able to A/B to firmware 15 to tell, will know this weekend, and report back. Worse case, deadline wise, everything gets set back another two weeks - hope not!

Last edited:
I sure hope not - probably not, based on what I am reading about it this morning. Bank 1 is about 1/2 finished, so it would only force a re-work of that if needed. I'll be able to A/B to firmware 15 to tell.
Thanks for your words Austin ,
I hope too !!!! Especially for you ;) :)

Just an FYI, all the bass presets still sound killer IMO! I’ve been playing a LOT more bass than guitar since Cygnus and I don’t have a single complaint. These are also the only 3rd party/user presets I use, outside of 3 user presets I’ve picked up in the last year. Generally, I don’t get on with other’s presets well, but the bass pack was a welcomed treat that actually may get me to pickup the LiveGold pack once it’s done being updated.

I’m using my rig in more of a utility way lately as I start finalizing tracks for my album by printing multiple re-amped tracks into a Logic session so as I mix, I can pull from the different amps as I see fit. I’m finding myself building presets for really basic things like just an amp and cab block and I could save a ton of time just buying the LiveGold pack.

Just an FYI, all the bass presets still sound killer IMO! I’ve been playing a LOT more bass than guitar since Cygnus and I don’t have a single complaint. These are also the only 3rd party/user presets I use, outside of 3 user presets I’ve picked up in the last year. Generally, I don’t get on with other’s presets well, but the bass pack was a welcomed treat that actually may get me to pickup the LiveGold pack once it’s done being updated.

I’m using my rig in more of a utility way lately as I start finalizing tracks for my album by printing multiple re-amped tracks into a Logic session so as I mix, I can pull from the different amps as I see fit. I’m finding myself building presets for really basic things like just an amp and cab block and I could save a ton of time just buying the LiveGold pack.
Happy to hear this. After Live Gold is updated to Cygnus, the plan is to do Brit Rock Royalty #1 then 200+ Bass TonePack (with Scott Nelson playing), and then last Naked Amps. I have to rest my ears and can't do it every single night.

All this is kind of sad to me because I really wanted this summer to be about a great Effects TonePack I want to put out (massive effects blocks library) -- but with all the work these firmware updated require, the really needed product/project keeps getting pushed back. Oh well, it will happen one day!

Policy-wise, I usually update any existing TonePack (since Dream Rigs came out for legacy units) once each year to any new firmware that changes amp sounds. Can't really do it faster than that and keep the quality high.

You guys have been patient and it's really appreciated - most of you get having 2500+ presets to update is no small task and just can't be done properly in just a month. I put all the above in for those who use FracTool and want to update sooner BUT I still do this listening to each and every Live Gold preset/scene in an A/B fashion comparing Cygnus to Firmware 15 on my two Axe-Fx IIIs, to make sure everything is right before releasing.

Last edited:
Happy to hear this. After Live Gold is updated to Cygnus, the plan is to do Brit Rock Royalty #1 then 200+ Bass TonePack (with Scott Nelson playing),a dn then last Naked Amps. I have to rest my ears and can't do it every single night.

All this is kind of sad to me because I really wanted this summer to be about a great Effects TonePack I want to put out (massive effects blocks library) -- but with all the work these firmware updated require, the really needed product/project keeps getting pushed back. Oh well, it will happen one day!

Policy-wise, I usually update any existing TonePack (since Dream Rigs came out for legacy units) once each year to any new firmware that changes amp sounds. Can't really do it faster than that and keep the quality high.

You guys have been patient and it's really appreciated - most of you get having 2500+ presets to update is no small task and just can't be done properly in just a month. I put all the above in for those who use FracTool and want to update sooner BUT I still do this listening to each and every Live Gold preset/scene in an A/B fashion comparing Cygnus to Firmware 15 on my two Axe-Fx IIIs, to make sure everything is right before releasing.
Might be off topic, but you can count me in on that Effect Tone Pack whenever it gets released.

Hi @austinbuddy,
FYI, I’ve been having a look at some of the old naked amp presets in 16.01, and many are fantastic! I don’t envy your job of thanklessly updating a squillion presets when a major firmware update shows up, but I’m looking forward to the updated naked amp pack in ‘many months’!
Thanks
Pauly

Happy to hear this. After Live Gold is updated to Cygnus, the plan is to do Brit Rock Royalty #1 then 200+ Bass TonePack (with Scott Nelson playing),a dn then last Naked Amps. I have to rest my ears and can't do it every single night.

AB:

When a new update for an ampack is released, are you able to send an E-mail blast to purchasers with accounts? That would help keep up to date. I find myself spending 15-30 minutes at least twice a week with all the updates for each modeler, plugin, DAW, etc.

Thanks,

AB:

When a new update for an ampack is released, are you able to send an E-mail blast to purchasers with accounts? That would help keep up to date. I find myself spending 15-30 minutes at least twice a week with all the updates for each modeler, plugin, DAW, etc.

Thanks,
Yes I can, usually a newsletter twice a year. I just like to do it when everything is updated. Firmware has been coming fast so I have held off on sending newsletter notices.

So, a little Cygnus update on Live Gold Tonepack Bank 1 (Marshall-style amps).... it's coming along, but I need another week/weekend to finish it (assuming there is not a new firmware update that makes me go back, like the just released 16.01 public beta did!). :cool:

Loaded the public BETA 16.01 Cygnus -- and am working off/tweaking presets with that firmware now.

So here's what's done so far under Cygnus 16.01 public beta so far -- all presets for these all associated amp models:

Splawns
Camerons/Atomica
Soldanos
Bogners
Blankenship
Fryette
Komet
PRS Archon

I will get to/finish the Hook 34 model by Thursday/Friday night if not before. Everything amp was reset and sometimes a soft reset and then things entered by hand, with an A/B box to another Axe-III running firmware 15 and a second Axe-Edit open to verify settings.

In prior weeks, I had worked on all the Marshalls that start out Bank, and also had totally reworked the Friedman's for those re-done/new models, so those presets should be "almost done" -- but with new beta firmware, and my revised monitoring system (see below), I need to go back through them one more time.

In Cygnus, a few presets will sound different here and there, and I may alter a scene sound to something new, but so far in Bank 1 about 85% are close to what was there under firmware 15, just with the new Cygnus flavor.

So, probably within next two weeks (fingers crossed) a Cygnus Live Gold Bank 1 (only) will be uploaded to your AustinBuddy accounts, to keep ya'll happy and playing while I then start work on banks 2 and 3. Thanks for your patience! It will be well worth it.

Also, importantly re-did my Live Gold preset monitoring - so I can play everything live (like at a gi) in a room, at over 92 decibels (often up to 98db).

Using a combination of the FRFR Mission Gemini II 2x12 (for bottom end) and an FRFR Atomic NEO CLR (for high mids, placed on top of the Gemini, off-axis from my ears slightly... the CLRs do roll off frequencies under 70Hz). Pics below.

I balance the sound level equally entering them off the stereo output 2, and this is the best of both worlds - this setup, located about 12 feet away from just like on a small stage, moves air like a 4x12 but has the mids and highs that punch through and disperse left and right, and not in a harsh way. Love this setup so much I'm going to start to gig with it! The blend of these two FRFR speaker cab types really complement each other.

FYI, rolling off in Global EQ2 (which goes out to the Mission Gemini II and CLRs) most of the lows like this: -12db at 31Hz, and -8db at 63Hz, the rest is all flat. I'll attach pictures of my knob settings too. Then I use the Axe-Fx III (set to Out2 level -10db) Out2 knob set to just a hair under 3:00 to send signal to the speakers.

Ignore the 2x12 Fulton-Webb Cab - that's just used for my Bogner Ecstasy 101b or guitar players coming over with their own amp heads.

Stacked CLR on top of Missions Gemini 2x12:
IMG_3868.jpg

CLR Left input:
IMG_3867.jpg

Mission gemini (set to mono) right input:
IMG_3866.jpg

Hi Buddy, why set the CLR to FF when it's placed on top of another cab?
Hi Yek:

It’s not on the floor as wedge (tilt) nor on the floor as an amp cab (BL). In essence I am using it for high end only and the FF (like on a tripod) makes the most sense, I tried all three settings before settling on in FF (free field). The Mission takes care of all the bottom end, am really using CLR for top end tuning.

Reactions: yek
If you want to try and update to Cygnus while you wait using FracTool, save everything first. Then see this post by AlGrenadine on the process to follow - it has multiple steps.

If you don't follow it it, can mess up your presets. Earlier in this thread I liked parameters I freeze.

As I update each preset in LiveGold, I also still do a soft amp reset- to be sure it's using the latest firmware in the map I'm working on. So I'm not relying totally on FracTool bu also manually work and resets and A/B listening and eyeball matching settings form two different editors running at the same time on two computers, on to each machine.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tutorial-move-your-presets-from-15-01-to-16-01.172863/

How to update to Cygnus using FracTool

Yes I can, usually a newsletter twice a year. I just like to do it when everything is updated. Firmware has been coming fast so I have held off on sending newsletter notices.
Thanks. That would be great. I do follow your threads but with Fractal’s weekly Firmware Friday, Ares to Cygnus, betas, it is hard to know when to update your simply unrivaled patches (no dig or insult to MB’s, Freman’s, 2112’s, Yek’s, Burg’s, and many Axexchange patches, which are stellar as well). I’m always amazed that LT has a video up the next day after a major firmware update but being 14 or so hours ahead he does have a jump on us).

Just picked up the Live Gold pack.
Obviously ridiculous amount of work put into these.

The Bank 1 is really good. The Mesas in Bank 3 are very good even w/o updating.
The Bank 2 with Cygnus installed is pretty erratic. Some Fenders are really bass heavy and woofy.
Will look for update this summer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom