Custom Rack Panel Recommendation

I received mine and my experience was the same as everyone else here. Incredible quality and customer service. Very quick turnaround. I think he had it shipped the day after I placed the custom order. I got 3 xlr's, 1 cat5, midi, USB, and he combined the power to the axe and my line 6 wireless to one twist lock power cable. Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Is that an SKB Roto Rack? I'm trying to decide between that and a 14" 4 space from EWI. Believe it or not they're both about the same size externally. The EWI just has incredibly deep lids and a little space between the case lip and the rails (the SKB's are evidently flush with the case edge). Anyway, I've read a couple of poor reviews that say it's impossible to use the top or bottom space for larger gear because of the design. I notice you've mounted the Axe Fx in the middle 2 spaces. Was that because of the way the rack was designed or because that's how you wanted it laid out?

Was leaning heavily toward the EWI until I realized that the 14" was just as big as the SKB. The SKB is half the weight and has over 17" rail to rail. I'd have to use right angle plugs in the EWI. The SKB has a luxurious amount of room. But I'm concerned with the reviews I've read.

Sorry for the tangent...

Yes, it's a Roto.

The edge of the rack rails is flush with the case, which means your controls and everything are easy to get at. It's very deep so there's no problems with cables, straight jacks or putting something else into the space behind the front units. It's lids are pretty deep too, but using a breakout rack I don't need to leave anything connected there.

The Axe is underneath the power amp for heat reasons, and is fine there (plus no problems with heat). The breakout unit goes at the bottom so the cables can drop straight down to the cabinet and forward to the MFC.

Interested in ordering a panel too,

JC_MuscleShoals, what do you mean by powering both the axe and wireless with a twist lock power cable? I'm running only the axe fx 2 and a line6 g90 in the rack, if i can power both with one cable that would be awesome.

Initially wanted to do a rear mounted panel, but am considering doing a front mount now.. Only worry is that.. If there are some people who trip over the cables when its front mounted, it might send the rack flying right off where its sitting on (I usually sit it on top of an amp or something). If its rear mounted.. the angle of the cables coming out of the rack is kind of already downward so it wouldn't shift as much if people trip over the cables. (Or maybe it will, not sure if im thinking right!)

Also.. Not too clear about how powercon works. From what I've read and seen. It will replace the IEC connection on the panel (I originally wanted IEC connections) How do I get power to the powercon cable then? Is it just a standard power cable but instead of the IEC plug on the other end, it has a powercon plug?

@Hugomack, does the roto rack have rear rack rails as well? or only front ones?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Interested in ordering a panel too,

JC_MuscleShoals, what do you mean by powering both the axe and wireless with a twist lock power cable? I'm running only the axe fx 2 and a line6 g90 in the rack, if i can power both with one cable that would be awesome.

Initially wanted to do a rear mounted panel, but am considering doing a front mount now.. Only worry is that.. If there are some people who trip over the cables when its front mounted, it might send the rack flying right off where its sitting on (I usually sit it on top of an amp or something). If its rear mounted.. the angle of the cables coming out of the rack is kind of already downward so it wouldn't shift as much if people trip over the cables. (Or maybe it will, not sure if im thinking right!)

Also.. Not too clear about how powercon works. From what I've read and seen. It will replace the IEC connection on the panel (I originally wanted IEC connections) How do I get power to the powercon cable then? Is it just a standard power cable but instead of the IEC plug on the other end, it has a powercon plug?

@Hugomack, does the roto rack have rear rack rails as well? or only front ones?

Thanks!
Before the panel, I had a short extension cord coming out of my 4 space rack for the Line 6 g90 and the Axe FX. They basically put one twist locking PowerCON cable and wire 2 iec cables to be plugged in to the back of each unit. It's really cool.

Ooh okay that's cool, so from one powercon cable it connects to the powercon jack and then it splits out to two iec cables.. Thanks!

Before the panel, I had a short extension cord coming out of my 4 space rack for the Line 6 g90 and the Axe FX. They basically put one twist locking PowerCON cable and wire 2 iec cables to be plugged in to the back of each unit. It's really cool.

Darn it, wish I'd known Hans coulda done that (he can do it all!!!!) and I could have avoided buying a IEC Y cable which cost $30.

Hans' panels are awesome! I constantly get compliments, especially from sound guys on how cool that is). Not to mention my Axe Fx which thanks me every night I don't put wear and tear on the jacks.

I have a couple 1/2 space Furman Powerports. I plan to use one with my SKB PS-100. I'm in the process of modifying the case to accept the Axe II and the MFC. Not quite sure how the Powerports will perform but looks like it will be ideal considering the weight of my 2nd option the AR 117 Furman voltage regulator.

Hans at Vafam is incredibly helpful! I too also have my order in the mail transit. super fast communications too!

Btw,.....I'm considering posting mods with the PS-100 for the Axe II and the MFC.

Last edited:
I have a question. For the people who are using the neutrik ne8ff connector connected to the mfc, can you use a regular Ethernet cable between the mfc and ne8ff coupler?

newb here....
Can someone recommend the ultimate set-up for a custom front panel from Hans. I like the idea of bringing everything to the front that I can. I suppose I will also need custom cables made, if neutrik is recommended. Thanks for any help!

/Doug

Thanks for turning us on to Hans. My panel is on the way:

VS-20120710-02.jpg

VS-20120710-01.jpg

Add one more person to the 'very satisfied customer' list!!! (so thanks for the recommendation Corey)

I decided to make my own panel, but get annoyed when my 7 pin midi soldering was a failure!!!!
Called Hans and asked him to make me a few 7 pin panels mounts with cable attached (I like having spares).
I had them in my hands quicker than expected, and they work perfect!

And most importanly....they were priced very reasonably.

If I had to do it all over again....I would have had him build the entire thing for me.
Great guy.

Back
Top Bottom