Curious distortion...

King Tone

Inspired
Has anyone experienced this…turn the guitar to say 3 or 4(roughly) and hit the high strings a bit hard and get a sort of fuzzy almost clipping sound? No red lights at all just sounds odd.

If you kind of whack the third string it really makes it obvious. I don't play hard so it is not glaring but I never heard this before. I have my input gain at 50.2, where it has been forever. I did recently update to fw 19.

Ideas?

G'day king tone,
Have you tried disabling the noise gate? I had the exact same issue a long time ago and it was simply the gate settings on the input.

Hth
Pauly

Has anyone experienced this…turn the guitar to say 3 or 4(roughly) and hit the high strings a bit hard and get a sort of fuzzy almost clipping sound? No red lights at all just sounds odd.

If you kind of whack the third string it really makes it obvious. I don't play hard so it is not glaring but I never heard this before. I have my input gain at 50.2, where it has been forever. I did recently update to fw 19.

Ideas?

Fret buzz. The tell-tale sign is the third string as it is always the most sensitive to this as it is the heaviest of the non-wound strings.

I would not have thought it was fret buzz..? I mean I have a custom suhr (they are all pleked) and the cleanest action ever. I change strings very often so they are not giving that sort of dead sitar effect that dead strings can have. Not only that I play pretty softly much of the time. I am thinking maybe some of my newer sounds I am working with are brighter than I am usual and making it more apparent. I tried turning off the gate, that did not do anything. I don't know…I just don't remember this ever happening before. I will mess around some more and report back.

Okay, to chime in: I have lowered the pickups (that helped), and checked the action. It's low enough, but not buzzing badly.

I do notice the same thing King Tone mentioned. It's not always there though. Weird. I need to try and troubleshoot.

Here in the northern hemisphere, this is the time when increased humidity affects guitar necks, lengthening them a tiny bit, and flattening out your guitar's relief. This often leads to fret buzz.

Most guitars need a truss rod tweak at least twice a year, as the seasons change—no matter how well they were set up.

I'm not noticing the same thing as the OP (whacking the G string hard produces it). Not had enough time to troubleshoot yet. I only notice it once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom